Opinion of the NFL/football?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:23:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of the NFL/football?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion Atlas
Absolutely love football

Fun to watch at a bar or with friends

Don't care but I'll watch if everyone else is

Ugh is the season over yet

lol SPORTSBALL!!!

Should be banned because concussions

Not American and don't understand the hype

Not American but I like it anyway

Black bodies forced to fight for the entertainment of straight white men #BlackLivesMatter

Don't really mind but I don't like it and fans are annoying

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of the NFL/football?  (Read 483 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:03:35 AM »

This seems to cover every opinion I've ever heard of our beloved NFL.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:20:57 AM »

You're missing the "only care about college football" option.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 02:21:44 AM »

Would be utterly useless without the Super Bowl ads.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 08:07:15 AM »

You're missing the "only care about college/high school football" option.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 09:42:38 AM »

Only parents of high schoolers and high school students care about high school football.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 10:26:37 AM »

I'll take my violent hits on ice without yellow napkins being thrown after every play, thanks.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 11:13:46 AM »

Only parents of high schoolers and high school students care about high school football.

Espnu Friday nights says differently. I'm talking about the nationally ranked teams. Obviously it pales in comparison to college, but it beats the NFL drama
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »

Would be utterly useless without the Super Bowl ads.

Yes, the ads are the best part of every football season.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 11:35:01 AM »

heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 10:15:05 PM »

Being a Chargers fan is a waste of time anyways.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 04:35:02 PM »

Broncos Von Miller fan.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 10:02:23 AM »

Here's another option: the sport is being ruined by PC concussion alarmists. First they came for hitting, next it will be kickoffs, and then it will be tackling. If football were meant to be completely safe with no chance of injury, then we'd be playing soccer. I'm I wonder if this is what it feels like to go through a divorce.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 10:57:43 AM »

I absolutely love football. I acknowledge the brain damage problem, and encourage the nfl to do everything it can to prevent it in the future, but it is not going to stop me from watching. I also think taking the kickoff out of the game is a crime.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 11:46:43 AM »

^^

Pac 12, baby!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2016, 12:10:39 PM by Santander »

Here's another option: the sport is being ruined by PC concussion alarmists. First they came for hitting, next it will be kickoffs, and then it will be tackling. If football were meant to be completely safe with no chance of injury, then we'd be playing soccer. I'm I wonder if this is what it feels like to go through a divorce.
Just... what?

Also, how is having concern for the welfare of not only professional athletes, but amateur ones who have normal lives to lead, somehow political correctness? I guess we should get rid of rules on late hits and facemask grabbing too so that we can really separate the boys from the men.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »

Don't like it. (British)

Baseball is fun tho.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 04:21:37 PM »

Just... what?

Also, how is having concern for the welfare of not only professional athletes, but amateur ones who have normal lives to lead, somehow political correctness? I guess we should get rid of rules on late hits and facemask grabbing too so that we can really separate the boys from the men.

Late hits are waaaaaaaaay over called. There should be no roughness/unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, and the targeting rule has got to go. Back in the good old days football was what it was meant to be: hard-hitting, fast paced, and fun to watch and fun to play.

The NFL needs to play hardball: the USA Today and New York Times, both of whom run at least two anti-football articles a day, should be sued for defamation, along with anybody else who says the letters CTE. That is a hoax right up there with Balloon Boy.

I want my sport back, and everyone else who cared about this sport needs to start standing up and saying as well that we want our sport back. The idiots running the NCAA have done more to destroy this sport than Penn State and Jerry Sandusky. I would proudly tell Rogers Redding, the NCAA officiating coordinator and the man responsible for this abomination, this to his face, with a few choice words mixed in.

You're not allowed to play defense anymore. They've made bad officiating even worse. They've convinced the NAACP that a sport that has kept millions of Black boys out of prison is a "racist form of bondage." They've convinced a generation of parents that a sport that builds character, integrity, teamwork, and sportsmanship is a death wish.

I want the sport I played back. I want the sport I coached back. I want my sport back. The sport I loved has been murdered and has been replaced with some soft game where the referees have far more impact on the outcome than the players do.

I can't help but wonder if this is what it feels like to go through a divorce. Something that I loved and put my heart, body, and soul into for 17 of the 21 years I've been alive for has been irreparably corrupted and warped. Football today is like my grandmother who has Lewy Body Dementia. She's technically the same person, but the person we all knew and loved is dead, replaced with a shell of a person who sits all day and talks to the animals she hallucinates and thinks that her parents who died in the 1980s come to visit every day.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 10:35:13 PM »

If football were meant to be completely safe with no chance of injury, then we'd be playing soccer.

Soccer has concussions issues too.

http://www.newsleader.com/story/sports/2015/06/25/concussions-soccer-football-wrestling/29268651/
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 10:56:53 PM »

^^

Pac 12, baby!

The Pac-12 has sports fans? Wink

IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 05:13:02 PM »

Its fun to watch when I have a chance, the only games I can watch on free TV is the Sunday Night game which starts at like 1am on a Monday morning and its not a sport that I'm going to put effort in to watch a game, unless Baseball where if I can I'll try to catch the Cubs.

CTE... is a hoax right up there with Balloon Boy.

It'd be absolutely fascinating to see what your proof for this is, considering that it goes against all medical evidence that I've ever seen on the subject.  Besides, concussions and concussion-related syndromes affect virtually every sport (I play Cricket and although they are a lot rarer in that now since virtually all pro players and a majority of amateur players now wear helmets while batting and that's where the vast majority of the risk would be although I've seen what I'm pretty sure were a couple since I've started playing: we once had a close fielder miss a catch and get hit on the head by the ball, and a couple of collisions in the field, honestly things that really couldn't be avoided and the latter was the fault of the fielders for not calling for the catch) and although its much more prevalent in contact sports it can affect all of them.  Rugby isn't much better; in the last six nations they averaged one player a game going off for concussion treatment, if that's standard at all levels in the game then there has to be changes to the rules to make the game safer.  Change in all sports is really slow and probably not enough - in Rugby its amounted to messing with the scrum rules about five times in the last ten years to reduce the initial impact force to the head and prevent neck injuries and "discussions" over changing tackling and rucking rules without ever actually doing anything.  I don't see what's "PC" about expecting sports governing bodies to monitor these things and change the rules when risks to long term health become too high - that's the reason why here Cricket players below the age of 16 have to wear a helmet while batting and if any club is found to have let a player bat without one they get is lots of trouble, it was designed to make the game safer for kids playing it, and prevent what happened before where wearing a helmet was seen as a sign of weakness, while now it isn't since most young players keep wearing a helmet when they could theoretically play without one.  If I was a parent in America I'd feel uncomfortable with having my kids play American Football, especially with how odd the culture is in some High Schools and Colleges.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 05:15:25 PM »

Wolverine22 being anti-science and basically supporting ending football, because that's what would happen unless CTE is taken into consideration.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies