Largest Prison Strike in US History is happening right now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:29:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Largest Prison Strike in US History is happening right now
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Largest Prison Strike in US History is happening right now  (Read 1204 times)
Seneca
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2016, 01:14:25 PM »

The strike started September 9 and is planned to continue throughout this month.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »

FFs for the nonce!
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 01:27:40 PM »

freedom strike.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »

On the whole, a pretty positive development. Especially considering how many of these inmates are probably imprisoned for nonviolent drug offenses.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »

I saw signs for this last week! Good! Thankfully someone is brave enough to take our country back.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »

Good for them. The treatment of prisoners in some places and the awful conditions of many prisons nationwide is something that is far too often ignored. They are people too, and despite what some may think, many of these people are not violent criminals. Just because they are prisoners doesn't mean we can just wave off whatever bs they go through, with the excuse "they broke the law so fk 'em!"
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:45:13 PM »

Good for them. The treatment of prisoners in some places and the awful conditions of many prisons nationwide is something that is far too often ignored. They are people too, and despite what some may think, many of these people are not violent criminals. Just because they are prisoners doesn't mean we can just wave off whatever bs they go through, with the excuse "they broke the law so fk 'em!"
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »

If the article is accurate then I support this.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 01:11:55 AM »

TIL prisoners can strike.
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 08:11:35 PM »

All workers can strike. And since so many prisoners are essentially slave laborers, they too can stop working. Hopefully the prison system won't react as brutally as the old plantation masters would have.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 09:13:26 PM »

Terrible.  Round them up (oh wait) and eliminate their pay all together.  It's prison, not a job.  They are not employees!
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 09:14:54 PM »

Terrible.  Round them up (oh wait) and eliminate their pay all together.  It's prison, not a job.  They are not employees!

I imagine a lot of these prisoners know they could very well be going to the hole for this.

It'll still shut down prison industry, which I imagine is their goal.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 09:25:11 PM »

And why do you suppose they are there? Racism. Abolish slavery, bigot!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 09:26:47 PM »

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 09:50:34 PM »

I imagine a lot of these prisoners know they could very well be going to the hole for this.

It'll still shut down prison industry, which I imagine is their goal.

Yes, but there's only so many slots they have in administrative segregation, so if everyone striked, then it would be tougher for the guards to handle.  They could always lock down entire units, but those only last for so long, and if companies decide they no longer want to hassle with prison labor, then their plans might work in the long-run.
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 07:47:38 PM »

Did you read the article? A great many prisoners are already forced to work for no pay.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 07:51:04 PM »

Did you read the article? A great many prisoners are already forced to work for no pay.

Yes, but some of them are paid up to 4.25 an hour.  Way too much
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 04:18:29 AM »

So you're making a public admission that:

A - You didn't bother to read that excerpt, even when presented to you
B - Your reading comprehension is atrocious
C - You're an abhorrent individual who would fully support modern-day slavery and the dehumanization of people to have their labor exploited for Prison Industrial Complex profit on the basis of them being convicted of a crime (and many of whom have fully served their sentence, yet are held in this bondage)
D - You're a troll who deserves to be put on ignore
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 04:39:16 AM »

This.

There's a difference between imprisonment and daily torment. I know there are some criminals who committed such an deplorable acts you just want to shrug and say "whatever", but overall the present approachment just doesn't accomplish anything constructive. If anything, a regular inmate is more likely to be violent after release from such an environment.

Anybody here watched "Oz"? I recommend it as a good illustration.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 05:49:05 AM »

So you're making a public admission that:

A - You didn't bother to read that excerpt, even when presented to you
B - Your reading comprehension is atrocious
C - You're an abhorrent individual who would fully support modern-day slavery and the dehumanization of people to have their labor exploited for Prison Industrial Complex profit on the basis of them being convicted of a crime (and many of whom have fully served their sentence, yet are held in this bondage)
D - You're a troll who deserves to be put on ignore

Option E, you're a moron. 
Of course I read the article.  I never said all of the prisoners were paid, I said prisoners should not be paid.  That obviously applies to those who are paid and excludes those who are not. Also lol at "modern day slavery".  Want to throw "oppression" in there too?  Im sure there are some more buzzwords.  These people are locked up because they committed crimes that the state deemed bad enough that they needed to be taken out of the general public.  They're not owed a salary.  Give your bleeding heart a rest, fool.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 08:13:50 AM »

Option E, you're a moron. 
Of course I read the article.  I never said all of the prisoners were paid, I said prisoners should not be paid.  That obviously applies to those who are paid and excludes those who are not. Also lol at "modern day slavery".  Want to throw "oppression" in there too?  Im sure there are some more buzzwords.  These people are locked up because they committed crimes that the state deemed bad enough that they needed to be taken out of the general public.  They're not owed a salary.  Give your bleeding heart a rest, fool.

Do you really not see how free labor gives the state an incentive to lock up as many people as possible? That's absolutely modern day slavery. Adding, "Yeah, but these guys deserve it" doesn't change that.

More, we should want our prisons to be structured in such a way that when people get out, they have a chance to have a decent go of it. If they're paid and allowed to accrue money so that they've got some cash when they get out, they're much more likely to have a better time of it than if they're just dumped outside the gate with the clothes they wore in.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 09:19:10 AM »

Do you really not see how free labor gives the state an incentive to lock up as many people as possible? That's absolutely modern day slavery. Adding, "Yeah, but these guys deserve it" doesn't change that.

More, we should want our prisons to be structured in such a way that when people get out, they have a chance to have a decent go of it. If they're paid and allowed to accrue money so that they've got some cash when they get out, they're much more likely to have a better time of it than if they're just dumped outside the gate with the clothes they wore in.

Green Line is only concerned about the punishment aspect of incarceration. From what I can tell, I'm not sure he really cares about recidivism or anything of the sort. At least that is what it seems like, based on the back-and-forths I've had with him on this in the past. I know there is a personal story somewhere behind his deep contempt for prisoners/criminals. I just know it.
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »

-snip-

By what metric? The prices of goods sold in prison are notoriously inflated. But that aside, 4.25 is about half of what a typical low wage worker makes. It's three dollars less than the minimum wage. It's a pittance. And why should incarcerated workers be treated so poorly? Half of prisoners in federal prisons are held on non-violent drug offenses (Bureau of Prisons). The numbers are similar for state prisons. These people are casualties of the so-called "war on drugs," a policy which at this juncture appears to be designed to take poor men out of the traditional labor market and onto to the prison-slave market to help companies and local businesses cut costs.

This situation has nothing to do with moral arguments about crime and punishment. This is about money. This is about lining the pockets of all the companies and government agencies who are in on the racket. This is the real rationale for maintaining the disastrous "War on Drugs" which has deciminated black and latino communities for the past three decades. If you can't see that, you're either willfully ignorant or simply evil.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 09:48:10 PM »

If the article is accurate then I support this.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2016, 01:48:06 AM »

Take 30 sleeping pills and drink a bottle of wine before you go to sleep tonight please.

I'm with you on the issue at hand but Jesus Christ, man, you've already developed a bad reputation for comments like this as it is.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies