When will people get over "deplorables"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:44:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  When will people get over "deplorables"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: *skip*
Before the debates

September, after the first debate

October, before the third debate

After the third debate

Sometime in 2017

Before midterms (2018)

Before Election Day (2020)

After 2020

Never, it will stay with her just like "bleeding from wherever"

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: When will people get over "deplorables"?  (Read 1904 times)
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2016, 05:50:39 AM »

When will we stop talking about this? What could possibly distract us from it?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 05:52:27 AM »

Why would we want to stop talking about it?  Voters need to understand exactly how deplorable Trump and his supporters are*.

* even if it's just with the caveat of being "half" of them.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 06:00:25 AM »

Exactly, why would Trump stop to talk about it? It will help him Smiley

Deplorables
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 06:57:48 AM »

I've gone for "never" simply because it looks like both campaigns (and, with them, the media) are trying to turn that one word into a defining element of the election. On Trump's side it's faux outrage at how "ordinary Americans" are being smeared; on the Clinton side it's "no one's as deplorable as Trump, do you really want to be like him?"

It looks like the phrase will have endurance, much like "47%" and "I can see Alaska from my house" (yes, I know she never actually said that).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 09:41:20 AM »

Certainly not as long as Hillary's openly attacking internet memes.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 11:57:04 AM »

I doubt it actually gains or loses either candidate any support at all, but it's also clearly one of those comments ("clinging to guns and religion") that is simply indicative of how a candidate feels about people and how people feel about a candidate, and those are comments that never truly go away.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 11:59:41 AM »

I would say after the first debate, but we all know it's going to get brought up in the first debate, so it probably won't go away. It's sad that people claim to want someone who "speaks their mind" and "tells it like it is", and then they crucify Hillary for saying this. We all know she's right, even if it wasn't a very politically savvy thing to say.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 05:06:58 PM »

When we stop talking about Hillary's health.
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 05:10:35 PM »

Certainly not as long as Hillary's openly attacking internet memes.

This.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 05:13:22 PM »

I dont think many cared, I think most of Hillary's drop is the pneumonia.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »

Hopefully never which is good because we need a president who will raise minimum wage for the poor.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 06:42:51 PM »

I've gone for "never" simply because it looks like both campaigns (and, with them, the media) are trying to turn that one word into a defining element of the election. On Trump's side it's faux outrage at how "ordinary Americans" are being smeared; on the Clinton side it's "no one's as deplorable as Trump, do you really want to be like him?"

It looks like the phrase will have endurance, much like "47%" and "I can see Alaska from my house" (yes, I know she never actually said that).

It's amazing she can see Alaska from her house.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 06:52:02 PM »

Hopefully never which is good because we need a president who will raise minimum wage for the poor.
We need to take the Falkland Islands because the rent is too damn high.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 06:53:12 PM »

"I actually did vote for the $87,000,000,000 before I voted against it."  Context is everything which is something the 5% or so of Americans who don't know the difference between parties lack.  These are the 5% who decide elections. Palin was joking about seeing Russia from her house.  Romney was correct on the 47%.  As for Kerry, a translation would be "I wanted the bill to pass for our troops but didn't want to be held responsible by my party in the primary so I did the most politically convenient thing that would get me to the white house."  Clinton's remark about deplorables wasn't meant to be "half" as she's already stated.  She really meant to say all is my view.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 07:10:29 PM »

Maybe never. Both sides will be able to use it in the future..it will be the narrative that one side are haters and the other side llooks down upon them. Maybe a liberal politician being called out as being anti-PC will help Democrats compete in a post-Trump America. Trump's campaign has opened the idea of having credibility by taking issues that on one else will. Neo-Sanderistos will be empowered to tell it as it is and not to go back to socin dixiecratism or DLC thirdwayism that alienates both the center and the base.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 07:11:25 PM »

Maybe never. Both sides will be able to use it in the future..it will be the narrative that one side are haters and the other side llooks down upon them. Maybe a liberal politician being called out as being anti-PC will help Democrats compete in a post-Trump America. Trump's campaign has opened the idea of having credibility by taking issues that on one else will. Neo-Sanderistos will be empowered to tell it as it is and not to go back to socin dixiecratism or DLC thirdwayism that alienates both the center and the base.

I like your analysis in general on this site. 
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »

"I actually did vote for the $87,000,000,000 before I voted against it."  Context is everything which is something the 5% or so of Americans who don't know the difference between parties lack.  These are the 5% who decide elections. Palin was joking about seeing Russia from her house.  Romney was correct on the 47%.  As for Kerry, a translation would be "I wanted the bill to pass for our troops but didn't want to be held responsible by my party in the primary so I did the most politically convenient thing that would get me to the white house."  Clinton's remark about deplorables wasn't meant to be "half" as she's already stated.  She really meant to say all is my view.
Romney was correct? Lol...
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 07:33:18 PM »

What part of his 47% comment was incorrect.  He was pretty close to accurate and not just because he got 47% of the vote.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 07:58:24 PM »

What part of his 47% comment was incorrect.  He was pretty close to accurate and not just because he got 47% of the vote.
OK, I'll provide you with a quote:
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what, all right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what."
Because people who work minimum wage are all obviously just moochers. Why don't they just get better jobs, if they want more money? So lazy. /s
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 08:56:58 PM »

Palin was joking about seeing Russia from her house.

What?  No... Palin literally never said it.  Tina Fey did, mocking Palin's claim that governing Alaska gave her foreign policy experience due to its general proximity to Russia.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 09:24:25 PM »

She's done damage to her campaign that she'll never undo; she can only contain and minimize.

I've never seen a campaign where a candidate trashed 1/2 of the other candidate's supporters.  Hillary, however, can't hide her contempt for culturally conservative white voters.  They're scum in her book, for WHO they are. 
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 05:25:25 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2016, 05:28:25 AM by John Ewards »

She's done damage to her campaign that she'll never undo; she can only contain and minimize.

I've never seen a campaign where a candidate trashed 1/2 of the other candidate's supporters.  Hillary, however, can't hide her contempt for culturally conservative white voters.  They're scum in her book, for WHO they are.  

Ummm... try 2012?

Besides, if "cultural conservatism" is the new euphemism for bigotry, then yeah, so-called cultural conservatives deserve some criticism (even if not in these words). At least get them thinking about their own choices; maybe some of them can pull a Robert Byrd. Unlike poverty, open racism is an individual choice.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 07:39:31 AM »

I've never seen a campaign where a candidate trashed 1/2 of the other candidate's supporters.  Hillary, however, can't hide her contempt for culturally conservative white voters.  They're scum in her book, for WHO they are.  

Ummm... try 2012?

Besides, if "cultural conservatism" is the new euphemism for bigotry, then yeah, so-called cultural conservatives deserve some criticism (even if not in these words). At least get them thinking about their own choices; maybe some of them can pull a Robert Byrd. Unlike poverty, open racism is an individual choice.

I don't know how much effect it will have politically, but

You have an over the top example of Hillary MAKING a bigoted comment.
The audience laughed and applauded a bigot.

Trump has said controversial things, nothing was this offensive or wrong.

She said 50% of Trump's supporters are:
“The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it."
...She's talking about 25 to 30 million Americans. 
Military veterans and the people who make the country function are Trump's base --- they are the opposite of deplorable they are honorable. 

Part of the damage isn't the insult though, it is that it is so wrong and out of touch with reality that it scares people.  If you wanted to look at it sure maybe 1 to 2% of Trumps support could be called one of those things, but More of Hillary's supporters could by far.  She says it to feed the smug sense of moral superiority that leftist idiots and elitists get high off of.  You have a cult of delusional-s who need to lie in order to feel better about themselves. 

The fact that you have people saying:
yes she should say this and
 "cultural conservatism is the new euphemism for bigotry"
etc
is evidence that people are in a scary bubble of hate. 

Trump says he doesn't like people breaking the law -- Dems call him racist
Hillary says 30 million people are deplorable scum based on her bigoted thought process -- Dems agree
Who are the bigots???
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 07:46:43 AM »

Ummm... try 2012?

I don't know how much effect it will have politically, but

You have an over the top example of Hillary MAKING a bigoted comment.
The audience laughed and applauded a bigot.

Trump has said controversial things, nothing was this offensive or wrong.

She said 50% of Trump's supporters are:
“The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it."
...She's talking about 25 to 30 million Americans. 
Military veterans and the people who make the country function are Trump's base --- they are the opposite of deplorable they are honorable. 

Part of the damage isn't the insult though, it is that it is so wrong and out of touch with reality that it scares people.  If you wanted to look at it sure maybe 1 to 2% of Trumps support could be called one of those things, but More of Hillary's supporters could by far.  She says it to feed the smug sense of moral superiority that leftist idiots and elitists get high off of.  You have a cult of delusional-s who need to lie in order to feel better about themselves. 

The fact that you have people saying:
yes she should say this and
 "cultural conservatism is the new euphemism for bigotry"
etc
is evidence that people are in a scary bubble of hate. 

Trump says he doesn't like people breaking the law -- Dems call him racist
Hillary says 30 million people are deplorable scum based on her bigoted thought process -- Dems agree
Who are the bigots???
The difference is, several polls have shown that many Trump supporters (particularly during the primaries) do hold racist views (birtherism, belief that Obama is a Muslim, outright white supremacism). Do you deny that these views are disgraceful?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 07:49:21 AM »

The difference is, several polls have shown that many Trump supporters (particularly during the primaries) do hold racist views (birtherism, belief that Obama is a Muslim, outright white supremacism). Do you deny that these views are disgraceful?
Lol, it is not a racism.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies