When will people get over "deplorables"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:00:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  When will people get over "deplorables"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: *skip*
Before the debates

September, after the first debate

October, before the third debate

After the third debate

Sometime in 2017

Before midterms (2018)

Before Election Day (2020)

After 2020

Never, it will stay with her just like "bleeding from wherever"

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: When will people get over "deplorables"?  (Read 1987 times)
Buffalo Bill
« on: September 14, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »

Hopefully never which is good because we need a president who will raise minimum wage for the poor.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 06:53:12 PM »

I've gone for "never" simply because it looks like both campaigns (and, with them, the media) are trying to turn that one word into a defining element of the election. On Trump's side it's faux outrage at how "ordinary Americans" are being smeared; on the Clinton side it's "no one's as deplorable as Trump, do you really want to be like him?"

It looks like the phrase will have endurance, much like "47%" and "I can see Alaska from my house" (yes, I know she never actually said that).

It's amazing she can see Alaska from her house.

"I actually did vote for the $87,000,000,000 before I voted against it."  Context is everything which is something the 5% or so of Americans who don't know the difference between parties lack.  These are the 5% who decide elections. Palin was joking about seeing Russia from her house.  Romney was correct on the 47%.  As for Kerry, a translation would be "I wanted the bill to pass for our troops but didn't want to be held responsible by my party in the primary so I did the most politically convenient thing that would get me to the white house."  Clinton's remark about deplorables wasn't meant to be "half" as she's already stated.  She really meant to say all is my view.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 07:11:25 PM »

Maybe never. Both sides will be able to use it in the future..it will be the narrative that one side are haters and the other side llooks down upon them. Maybe a liberal politician being called out as being anti-PC will help Democrats compete in a post-Trump America. Trump's campaign has opened the idea of having credibility by taking issues that on one else will. Neo-Sanderistos will be empowered to tell it as it is and not to go back to socin dixiecratism or DLC thirdwayism that alienates both the center and the base.

I like your analysis in general on this site. 
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:33:18 PM »

I've gone for "never" simply because it looks like both campaigns (and, with them, the media) are trying to turn that one word into a defining element of the election. On Trump's side it's faux outrage at how "ordinary Americans" are being smeared; on the Clinton side it's "no one's as deplorable as Trump, do you really want to be like him?"

It looks like the phrase will have endurance, much like "47%" and "I can see Alaska from my house" (yes, I know she never actually said that).

It's amazing she can see Alaska from her house.

"I actually did vote for the $87,000,000,000 before I voted against it."  Context is everything which is something the 5% or so of Americans who don't know the difference between parties lack.  These are the 5% who decide elections. Palin was joking about seeing Russia from her house.  Romney was correct on the 47%.  As for Kerry, a translation would be "I wanted the bill to pass for our troops but didn't want to be held responsible by my party in the primary so I did the most politically convenient thing that would get me to the white house."  Clinton's remark about deplorables wasn't meant to be "half" as she's already stated.  She really meant to say all is my view.
Romney was correct? Lol...

What part of his 47% comment was incorrect.  He was pretty close to accurate and not just because he got 47% of the vote.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »

Trump needs to ride this and twist it as her saying this about "ordinary Americans" and point to the fact that the majority of troops are supporting him so Clinton was really saying that our troops are deplorable.  These types of maneuvers could have the potential to cost her the election.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 02:25:47 PM »

I really take offense to that comment and she is out of touch with the average American.

She's an out of touch Ivy League elitist funded by Goldman Sachs who thinks she has the right to dictate which health care plan Americans can purchase. 
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 02:30:08 PM »

It's not that they will never support her, though for many of them this is true. It is because many of them espouse a worldview which places people in different social classes based on things like race, gender and sexuality- the definitions of racism, sexism, and homiphobia. Many of Trump's supporters have made comments to this effect- if one was feeling particularly speculative, one could argue that this is the foundation behind "Make America Great Again", considering our country's history of oppression of these very groups. Yeah, the 50's were nice- if you were a wealthy, white male (or, if you were lucky, a female) who didn't step out of line. Now, this is a bit of a leap of interpretation, and I would forgive rejecting it (I have reservations about it myself), but it's hard to argue that this isn't what's resonating with his supporters.

You sound like a liberal whining about race, gender, and equality. 
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »

The point is, Clinton looks at bigotry and says "this can be improved". Trump sees the same bigotry, and thinks "this can be exploited" (just like bankruptcy laws, just like foreign workers, just like American contractors). Which of these people do you want leading your country?
Not the one calling people "deplorables" Roll Eyes
Oh my god, you just don't see it.

Clinton sees bigotry (which few would deny exists in our society) and calls it a disgrace (I do not agree with her wording, but this is her point). Trump, on the other hand, tailors his message to speak to these exact people, and gets their support, along with the economically distressed, and with partisan GOP'ers and hardcore #NeverClinton-ers after the primary. These people probably now make up the majority of his voters, but it's hard to deny that it was bigots, and bigotry, that got him the nomination in the first place.

No she rants about bigotry about anyone who disagrees with anything she says.  You sound like you think she's some sort of saint.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 04:19:10 PM »

The point is, Clinton looks at bigotry and says "this can be improved". Trump sees the same bigotry, and thinks "this can be exploited" (just like bankruptcy laws, just like foreign workers, just like American contractors). Which of these people do you want leading your country?
Not the one calling people "deplorables" Roll Eyes
Oh my god, you just don't see it.

Clinton sees bigotry (which few would deny exists in our society) and calls it a disgrace (I do not agree with her wording, but this is her point). Trump, on the other hand, tailors his message to speak to these exact people, and gets their support, along with the economically distressed, and with partisan GOP'ers and hardcore #NeverClinton-ers after the primary. These people probably now make up the majority of his voters, but it's hard to deny that it was bigots, and bigotry, that got him the nomination in the first place.

No she rants about bigotry about anyone who disagrees with anything she says.  You sound like you think she's some sort of saint.
examples please. Even in the "deplorables" speech (which was a mistake), she acknowledges that many support Trump out of economic anxiety. Maybe you should actually look at what the candidates have said... and I'm far from considering Clinton a saint, but I respect her, which is more than can be said for Trump.

It was a "mistake" alright.  A tactical mistake, in which she gave up the ghost as far as what she really thinks of 25% of America that doesn't support her.  But it's what she meant.

"Out of the wellsprings of the heart, the mouth speaks."  Scripture describes Hillary Clinton to a "t".
OK. Now hold Trump to the same standards. Go ahead; what did he really mean when he spoke about Mexicans being rapists? You tell me. Besides, openly acting on bigotry is a personal choice. Where you're born isn't.

He meant they're rapists.  They're raping our land according to him and our job market.  No such thing as bigotry outside of the Democratic Playbook here.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »

Nice spin... Then I guess we get to say that Clinton was specifically referring to the bigotry itself. Maybe it wasn't such a mistake after all...

Trump's supporters are your average ordinary Americans so what did Clinton mean by deplorables?
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »

Nice spin... Then I guess we get to say that Clinton was specifically referring to the bigotry itself. Maybe it wasn't such a mistake after all...

Trump's supporters are your average ordinary Americans so what did Clinton mean by deplorables?
If you're allowed to say that Trump meant the land and not the people, then I might as well say that Clinton was talking about the opinions and not the people.

Yes Democrats will say anything to defend her so of course you'll say that which is fine.  Convincing people is the key though.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 04:48:52 PM »

Ironically, the "bleeding from wherever" comment didn't damage Trump in the long term at all, so it sort of confuses me that the village idiots of Bad Atlas are choosing that option.

One of the comments is agreed with and one is not.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies