Do you want to have kids?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:19:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you want to have kids?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes/Already do

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Do you want to have kids?  (Read 9638 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2016, 05:44:04 AM »

Active dislike for children is one of those animuses that should be critically examined a lot more than it is.

What about a second side of the coin: "ZOMGZ I LOVE BABIES! THEY ARE SO CUTE AND I JUST LOVE THEM!"? Doesn't sound very healthy either.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2016, 05:49:49 AM »

Active dislike for children is one of those animuses that should be critically examined a lot more than it is.

What about a second side of the coin: "ZOMGZ I LOVE BABIES! THEY ARE SO CUTE AND I JUST LOVE THEM!"? Doesn't sound very healthy either.

From the point of view of evolutionary biology and species survival that sounds extremely healthy.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2016, 07:17:37 AM »

From the point of view of evolutionary biology and species survival that sounds extremely healthy.

That's what I've always found puzzling about not liking children. It seems roughly equivalent to actively disliking food, especially among women. I wonder what causes the dislike to crop up. I mean, obviously people who like kids would tend to have more. Maybe its something to do with modernity?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2016, 07:34:31 AM »

Other than that, it's kind of like what one of the interviewees stated in the article: I think kids are at their best when they're quiet, humble, and intelligent.  You don't get that combination much at all, unfortunately.

Ugh, is it really too much to ask to leave people alone and let them be whatever they want to be for at least a couple years in their lives? Don't worry, they'll learn soon enough that they have to turn into emotionless, disciplined, productive machines and renounce to everything that made them happy in order to survive in the world. Being quiet, humble and intelligent defeats the whole point of childhood.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2016, 08:50:56 AM »

Why do millennials think their problems are so unique?

I lol'ed at the part of that article where they talk about how the world is terrible now because of things like terrorism.  I mean, 30+ year ago, there was the very real prospect of the entire planet being destroyed by nuclear war.  And now we're freaking out about terrorism?  Sheesh.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2016, 08:51:46 AM »

i have 1.  No regrets at all.  A fine young lady she turned out to be.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »

Of course, having had one child, I do not want any more.. at least not for another 15 years.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »

I don't think that's equivalently bad at all, no.

I mean, another part of the reason why I'm not sure kids are in the cards for me is that they do sort of alarm and stymie me and I'm never quite sure how to talk to them or what to talk to them about, but I see that as my problem.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »

Yes and no, not biological kids, but I would love to adopt when I am settled down.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2016, 11:16:08 AM »

Even though I don't have any desire to have children, I agree with this sentiment. I don't actively dislike children in general, and I've found it odd how widespread child hatred is on the internet.

I don't dislike children, I just dislike how most people raise them. The ones who haven't been weaned on television, junk food, violence, and competitive sports tend not to be so bad.

What's wrong with competitive sports as a kid?  Better than the uncompetitive, "give everyone a trophy" mentality that turns people into a bunch of wusses.  Competition is good and should be encouraged more among children, not less.

As far as violence is concerned, what do you mean by that?  If you're talking about kids getting into fistfights and actual physical violence, that's bad, but in many communities that is pretty rare.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2016, 12:21:26 PM »

At some point, yeah.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2016, 12:46:16 PM »

People shouldn't need to be 'coerced' into having, at the very least, a neutral or mixed opinion of the young of their own kind. Practically everything bad that people say about kids is also, to varying extents, true of the elderly, and it's not socially acceptable or cute or chic to hate them.

I disagree; I think that the elderly are heavily stigmatized and outright excluded from social life in a way that we wouldn't even consider applying to children.

On further thought I'd agree with this.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I haven't seen this, at least not to the nearly extent that I have with children, but I'm not surprised that it exists.

In both cases it's unacceptable.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »

For the record, I think I'd be a good parent and I like kids. I just don't want to start a family or get married.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2016, 01:54:21 PM »

Yes.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »

In the name of all humanity Wulfric should be precluded from procreating.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2016, 02:22:34 PM »

Of course I want.

Apparently I will have 3 kids which is fine for me.

Hopefully that will happen, it's basically the goal of my life.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2016, 04:46:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

r.i.p. human race.

for me, yes, very much.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2016, 04:49:39 PM »

Not right now. Give it about 5-10 years and we'll see how I'm doing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2016, 04:58:02 PM »

Yes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2016, 05:03:53 PM »

I have no plans for the future other than catching my white whale so can't answer the question. But would echo that this is a sad thread; people have a right to make their own decisions about their own lives (of course!) but children are wonderful and I don't understand why some people dislike them.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2016, 05:10:37 PM »

Oh on the sport question the main thing is that ball sports are played. Excellent for development in all kinds of areas and there are so many...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »

Also, disliking children--children specifically--because one is 'an antinatalist' just strikes me as facially absurd. Everybody has, at some point or another, been born, and none of us had a choice in the matter.

It often (not always but often) comes across as very creepy. Jimmy Savile always said he disliked children, I note, something that really ought to have set off alarm bells given occupation but the 1970s etc...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2016, 09:59:04 PM »

I mean, another part of the reason why I'm not sure kids are in the cards for me is that they do sort of alarm and stymie me and I'm never quite sure how to talk to them or what to talk to them about, but I see that as my problem.

Huh, I'm not the only one who has that weird social awkwardness around children.

Anyway, I agree with all your posts in this thread.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2016, 10:21:37 PM »

Huh, I'm not the only one who has that weird social awkwardness around children.

Anyway, I agree with all your posts in this thread.

Ditto on both counts.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2016, 11:28:11 PM »

Most likely, but not anytime soon.

I'm definitely not in the "not liking kids" camp. Sometimes I feel awkward around them, but I feel awkward around anything that moves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies