Do you want to have kids?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:09:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you want to have kids?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes/Already do

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Do you want to have kids?  (Read 9566 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2016, 04:58:52 AM »

Oh on the sport question the main thing is that ball sports are played. Excellent for development in all kinds of areas and there are so many...

I hated all ball sports as a kid, especially stuff like tennis, because for some reason I could never keep track of the ball. Of course, it was only at 15 I found out I was shortsighted, so eh.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2016, 07:34:43 AM »

Yes, but well, it is a bit late. I didn't really grow up until my late 50's, and for gays, it takes a bit more planning (and was beyond the pale until recently).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2016, 09:41:24 AM »

?!

I'm guessing that this is how you say myopic in English English.  

In Yankee English shortsighted means something very different, and the statement looks strange.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2016, 12:11:51 PM »

?!

I'm guessing that this is how you say myopic in English English.  

In Yankee English shortsighted means something very different, and the statement looks strange.

"Nearsighted" would be the more common term here, I think.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2016, 02:03:34 PM »

Why do millennials think their problems are so unique?  It's a common theme.  Literally everything in that article could apply to any point in time ever. 

You can easily take away the "we millennials are the revolution!!" tone, and still be left with several very valid reasons not to want children.  (Although I would maintain that becoming financially secure enough to support children is happening later and later than previous generations.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2016, 02:05:37 PM »

As for not liking children, obviously that involves a sweeping generalization.  My toddler nephews are awesome, for example.  But I'm sure I'm not the only person who sees the similarity between being around small children, and being the only sober adult in a group of drunk people.  That sh**t is tedious and annoying, and I literally count down the minutes until I can escape from it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2016, 02:15:02 PM by The Donald »

But I'm sure I'm not the only person who sees the similarity between being around small children, and being the only sober adult in a group of drunk people.

And that's a horrible thing to say. Small children are in a developmental stage that everyone goes through, they've done nothing wrong or shortsighted or even voluntary in being the way they are, and they ought to be fully integrated into society's everyday life and socialized in age-mixed company whenever practicable so they have a wide spectrum of possible adult role models and don't grow up atomized and depressed. Your (or any adult's) being annoyed with them is simply not as important to society or to the world as their being well-socialized and growing up well-adjusted.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »

But I'm sure I'm not the only person who sees the similarity between being around small children, and being the only sober adult in a group of drunk people.

And that's a horrible thing to say. Small children are in a developmental stage that everyone goes through, they've done nothing wrong or shortsighted or even voluntary in being the way they are, and they ought to be fully integrated into society's everyday life and socialized in age-mixed company whenever practicable so they have a wide spectrum of possible adult role models and don't grow up atomized and depressed. Your (or any adult's) being annoyed with them is simply not as important to society or to the world as their being well-socialized and growing up well-adjusted.

Oh, calm down.  It's just an amusing observation my friends and I made several years ago (and hardly an original one, I'm sure).  Jesus.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2016, 02:20:24 PM »

Oh, calm down.  It's just an amusing observation my friends and I made several years ago (and hardly an original one, I'm sure).  Jesus.

It's not amusing.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2016, 02:22:58 PM »

Roll Eyes  Always a barrel of laughs.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2016, 02:28:25 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2016, 03:10:40 PM by Joe Republic »

TRIGGER WARNING: not for those suffering from terminal intellectualism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1LUHzr5vj8

https://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/reasons-kids-are-pretty-much-just-tiny-drunk-adults?utm_term=.glqNlb9a6K#.hozGmBlePy
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2016, 02:37:09 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2016, 02:41:31 PM by The Donald »

My username is 'The Donald' and my signature has a picture of Donald Winnicott in it, so, yes, I do think I have a pretty good sense of humor. Certainly better than whatever the [Inks] 'Bingdu Mag' is.

Also there’s a big difference between making a mildly-insulting observation in good fun, making it cruelly, and making it cruelly but claiming it was in good fun.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2016, 02:49:21 PM »

My username is 'The Donald' and my signature has a picture of Donald Winnicott in it, so, yes, I do think I have a pretty good sense of humor.

Um, if that sentence was intentionally funny, then I can't exactly disagree.  I mean, anything involving Donald Winnicott is guaranteed hilarious!! *

*who tf is donald winnicott tho

Certainly better than whatever the [Inks] 'Bingdu Mag' is.

For a moment you lost me.  At first I thought this some 15th century Burmese philosopher you were referencing for whatever tedious point you were trying to make... then I noticed it was the name of the YouTube account I posted...?  Not sure why that was relevant for you to point out, but anyway the video was intended for those without gray lives to enjoy.  I did post a TW for you, so don't blame me that you ignored it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »

As for not liking children, obviously that involves a sweeping generalization.  My toddler nephews are awesome, for example.  But I'm sure I'm not the only person who sees the similarity between being around small children, and being the only sober adult in a group of drunk people.  That sh**t is tedious and annoying, and I literally count down the minutes until I can escape from it.

If small children are acting drunk then something is wrong.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2016, 02:55:42 PM »

If small children are acting drunk then something is wrong.

I have a feeling you might enjoy the video I posted above.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2016, 03:24:51 PM by The Donald »

My username is 'The Donald' and my signature has a picture of Donald Winnicott in it, so, yes, I do think I have a pretty good sense of humor.

Um, if that sentence was intentionally funny, then I can't exactly disagree.  I mean, anything involving Donald Winnicott is guaranteed hilarious!! *

*who tf is donald winnicott tho

Certainly better than whatever the [Inks] 'Bingdu Mag' is.

For a moment you lost me.  At first I thought this some 15th century Burmese philosopher you were referencing for whatever tedious point you were trying to make... then I noticed it was the name of the YouTube account I posted...?  Not sure why that was relevant for you to point out, but anyway the video was intended for those without gray lives to enjoy.  I did post a TW for you, so don't blame me that you ignored it.

You know, I think part of the problem is here is that, from my perspective, you are simply not funny. Something like half of the usernames I've had since I've started changing them frequently have been jokes or puns; it's not my fault if they've all gone over your head, or that you think anybody who doesn't share your sense of humor has none, or has a 'gray life'.

Donald Winnicott was first and foremost a man who respected and understood the young. Alison Bechdel discusses him extensively in her second memoir.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2016, 04:37:31 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2016, 04:47:34 PM by Jante's Law Revivalist »

> is incapable of appreciating the vitality and cheerfulness of children
> says others have "gray lives"

Priceless.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »

You might be.  I have no idea what it might be like to be the only sober adult in a group of drunk people.  If people are drunk, then booze must be available, so why would anyone be sober under those conditions.

That said, I voted no in the poll. 

As a rule, children are annoying, especially when you're drunk.  Even one is annoying, especially when you have to stay sober because you're his ride home.  There have been some I really like.  My cousin's daughter who lived with us for about a year when I was a teenager was very charming, and my son, in his better moments, is loads of fun to hang out with.  I certainly don't want to sire any more.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2016, 08:30:58 PM »

Wow you guys are dramatic
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2016, 10:21:15 PM »

Joe Republic is the best poster
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2016, 10:31:43 PM »

Wow, it's not every day I agree strongly with both Antonio and Nathan on an issue, but Joe Republic managed to do it.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2016, 01:29:13 AM »

Honestly, no. I can barely handle myself, I just don't have the will to be responsible for another human life.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2016, 02:53:38 AM »

This thread's... reached very unnecessary levels of hostility, to say the least.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2016, 04:02:38 AM »

Still undecided.

Having no kids has certain advantages, especially with flexibility in life and financial matters. I know this from my favorite aunt and uncle. They have none because she couldn't have for medical reasons. But if yes, I prefer a daughter Wink
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2016, 07:39:28 AM »

Ironically enough, the (otherwise great) posters in this thread are embodying another behaviour of both drunks and small children: the ability to start ludicrous arguments over essentially nothing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies