The country is falling apart
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:16:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The country is falling apart
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The country is falling apart  (Read 1828 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:50:26 PM »

Lets just sit back and take time to reflect on how insane and ridiculous the campaign has gotten since last week.  The basket of deplorables, Hillary fainting, Trump going on Dr Oz to get his health appraised, Hillary's campaign beginning to rival Trump's in amateurism and childishness etc.

I feel like I'm living in a joke reality.

All you can do is laugh!
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:51:33 PM »

It's things like this that people prefer in politics regardless of what they admit to.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »

There have been many days this year where I thought I could just wake up from this like one of Tony Soprano's fever dreams. But no, it's very real.

It makes me re-think how substantive a campaign 2012, at least by comparison.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:58:08 PM »

If someone had written the story of this campaign as a novel a couple of years ago and tried to get it published, it would have been rejected as too unbelievable.

And there's till eight weeks left for it to get crazier.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 09:04:16 PM »

It is pretty bad.

This all started in 1992 when Bill Clinton went on Arsenio and played the sax.  This was something candidates for President just didn't do.  But Clinton found ways to bypass the "mainstream media".  Now, they all do it, Republican and Democrat.  When I think about it, there was an inevitability of campaigns becoming more and more ridiculous.  Social media has only make it worse.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 09:09:04 PM »

It is pretty bad.

This all started in 1992 when Bill Clinton went on Arsenio and played the sax.  This was something candidates for President just didn't do.  But Clinton found ways to bypass the "mainstream media".  Now, they all do it, Republican and Democrat.  When I think about it, there was an inevitability of campaigns becoming more and more ridiculous.  Social media has only make it worse.

Are you f***ing serious?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 09:10:13 PM »

This is indeed a sad turn of events. I only hope that we can collectively recover from this. I won't write this cycle off until the debates. Maybe some seriousness will forcibly come out due to a more formatted social context.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 09:16:36 PM »

One of the major party candidates for president released an official statement freaking out over a cartoon frog Internet meme.

And she's the normal/sane one in the race.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 09:16:43 PM »

How about Trump going on Dr. Oz to go over his medical history more than he has every before?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 09:30:55 PM »

I blame everything on the Millennials, social media, and the Internet.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 09:33:26 PM »

Sorry, but Millennials overwhelmingly supported Bernie.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 09:33:53 PM »

Both of these candidates are disliked by Millennials more than they are by anyone else.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 09:37:09 PM »

One of the major party candidates for president released an official statement freaking out over a cartoon frog Internet meme.

I forgot about that one.  It may be the worst of all.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »

I still blame Millennials. They are the biggest generation now. So they are responsible for what's going on in the world. That's how I see it.

We Boomers are senile and aging. Our influence has waned. Wink
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 09:43:12 PM »

I still blame Millennials. They are the biggest generation now. So they are responsible for what's going on in the world. That's how I see it.

We Boomers are senile and aging. Our influence has waned. Wink

I agree.  Millennials are really an awful generation.  The whole millennial culture is built on intense narcissism and it's no surprise that our presidential candidates reflect that.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 09:45:05 PM »

I forgot about that one.  It may be the worst of all.

Yeah, the Alt Right attacks are not working.

No one over the ago of 40 has ever heard of the term alt-right (except Hillary, apparently) and even I had never heard of it before until I read about it on here a couple of weeks ago, and I'm a pretty politically active millennial.  It has to be one of the dumbest attacks of the year.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 10:01:11 PM »

I blame it on the crazy social culture that is going on. When you have madness going on in some of our college campuses chanting "America is mean, America is racist, America is sexist", expect some voters to get a little upset, and that's why some of them are voting for Trump.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 10:08:01 PM »

It has been a pretty depressing election, and I can't say it's made me feel more positively about this country...
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »

I blame it on the crazy social culture that is going on. When you have madness going on in some of our college campuses chanting "America is mean, America is racist, America is sexist", expect some voters to get a little upset, and that's why some of them are voting for Trump.

Voting for Trump just validates those opinions rather than counteract them.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »

It is pretty bad.

Are you f***ing serious?

What I'm getting at is that Trump going on Dr. Oz is the latest in candidates dealing with serious issues through entertainment channels, rather than the mainstream media.  This didn't always happen; it was a big deal when Richard Nixon made a cameo on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In in 1968.  (Many Laugh-In creative staff were part of the Nixon 68 campaign.) 

Sexism, racism, etc. are problems, but the media is no longer capable of having rational discussions on these topics.  If they did, their ratings would go down and alternative media would provide the hot-button stuff that inflames people, but doesn't offer solutions.  And candidates feel free to bypass mainstream media these days, getting their message out on social media, talk radio, where the focus is on shock entertainment.
Trapsy

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 10:39:22 PM »

It is pretty bad.

Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 10:48:56 PM »

To many people don't realize how bad it was before FDR and many of the reforms, anti-trust laws and the rise of unions. I am afraid people will once again suffer under the boot of the rich.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 10:49:40 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2016, 10:52:01 PM by Doctor Imperialism »

This all started in 1992 when Bill Clinton went on Arsenio and played the sax.

holy sh**t lol

I can't stop laughing, you guys are caricatures of yourselves.
Trapsy

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 11:05:39 PM »

This is gonna sound partisan and I am not sorry but I blame the Republican party for Trump. The way the establishment weren't adults with Obama during his presidency and excused people like Trump and Palin. I am sure Obama screwed up in many ways since he really didn't have governing experience. The guy gave up on Medicare and Social Security to Boehner and he was denied any compromise. Anything he touches its a refusal. This hostage on the supreme court is the same thing.

HRC is a very flawed candidate that creates unnecessary problems but it's really annoying to see you guys on the forum try and place this blame on her. Dems have their own issue but the republican have to change the way they operate. This should have been a slam dunk this year but Trump was the consequence of the republican party overreacting to the Obama's presidency.

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 11:18:13 PM »

I'm kinda hoping that Trump quickly closing the gap in the polls alarms enough of the third-party supporting Millennials to make them say "Wow, Trump really can win.  Clinton needs my vote; I'll hold my nose and vote for her even though I really like Gary Johnson (and am still bitter over Bernie)."

Mostly depends on how stubborn that voting block is.

Her weakness with Milennials is costing her 2-3 points nationally. If they close ranks Clinton wins quite comfortably.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies