The country is falling apart
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:07:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The country is falling apart
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The country is falling apart  (Read 1829 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 11:29:26 PM »

It is pretty bad.

This all started in 1992 when Bill Clinton went on Arsenio and played the sax.  This was something candidates for President just didn't do.  But Clinton found ways to bypass the "mainstream media".  Now, they all do it, Republican and Democrat.  When I think about it, there was an inevitability of campaigns becoming more and more ridiculous.  Social media has only make it worse.

More like 1952 and the Checkers speech by Nixon.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 12:00:48 AM »

..... Hillary's campaign beginning to rival Trump's in amateurism and childishness etc.

Yes the race has tightened.
But there is no way possible that you can say that Hillary is conducting herself or her campaign at the same level of "amateurism and childishness" as trump.
trump is the biggest clown to receive the nomination of any large political party in America ... EVER !
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 12:03:32 AM »

..... Hillary's campaign beginning to rival Trump's in amateurism and childishness etc.

Yes the race has tightened.
But there is no way possible that you can say that Hillary is conducting herself or her campaign at the same level of "amateurism and childishness" as trump.
trump is the biggest clown to receive the nomination of any large political party in America ... EVER !

That's precisely the reason why I say that Hilary's campaign is more incompetent.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 12:33:47 AM »

This is gonna sound partisan and I am not sorry but I blame the Republican party for Trump. The way the establishment weren't adults with Obama during his presidency and excused people like Trump and Palin.

You're allowing partisanship to fog your judgment on this. While those events were obviously a prelude to our current predicament, they are not what directly led to it. The reason I make that argument is simple: look at Europe. A growing right-wing movement that embodies many of the same characteristics found in Trump's politics are happening in Austria, Switzerland, France, Germany, Denmark, Holland, United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and elsewhere in Europe, albeit with their own qualities unique to their cultural context. These are concurrent developments that are cross-cultural. Would you blame the Republican Party for directly causing the parallel rise of the right-wing in Europe? Thus, the problem goes deeper than merely American political events, but something that is below the surface and shared between nearly all Western countries. That doesn't even mention the phenomenon of a social media-savvy terrorist group with a significant composition of European-derived fighters.
Trapsy

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2016, 01:03:40 AM »

This is gonna sound partisan and I am not sorry but I blame the Republican party for Trump. The way the establishment weren't adults with Obama during his presidency and excused people like Trump and Palin.

You're allowing partisanship to fog your judgment on this. While those events were obviously a prelude to our current predicament, they are not what directly led to it. The reason I make that argument is simple: look at Europe. A growing right-wing movement that embodies many of the same characteristics found in Trump's politics are happening in Austria, Switzerland, France, Germany, Denmark, Holland, United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and elsewhere in Europe, albeit with their own qualities unique to their cultural context. These are concurrent developments that are cross-cultural. Would you blame the Republican Party for directly causing the parallel rise of the right-wing in Europe? Thus, the problem goes deeper than merely American political events, but something that is below the surface and shared between nearly all Western countries. That doesn't even mention the phenomenon of a social media-savvy terrorist group with a significant composition of European-derived fighters.

Fair point.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 01:17:16 AM »

Bah, it's been that way since 51% of the country actually took "There you go again" as a perfect comeback to valid attacks on a disturbing stance regarding healthcare.

Since that point, "zingers" have been all the rage, while actual policy disagreements have been marginalized.

No wonder Bush Sr looked at his watch, no wonder Gore sighed.

This is just a symptom.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 04:35:26 AM »

It takes much, much more for the country to fell apart than this.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 04:46:28 AM »

One of the major party candidates for president released an official statement freaking out over a cartoon frog Internet meme.

And she's the normal/sane one in the race.
Lol, true
senorboogie woogie
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »

These are the two worst candidates of all time, and I am very worried about the country if either of them are elected. Both are horrible, awful people. Especially Hillary Clinton. She is a liar, a fraud, hates the working class, says she is for women's rights while not listening to women who have been documented to have been sexually harassed or sexual assaulted by her husband. Said she is for homosexual and women's rights, but takes millions of dollars from countries that ban women to drive and executes homosexuals for sexual acts. You really do not need to manufacture stuff with her.

Trump is ugh, why him? I have never liked the guy, is a petty dictator, two wives got away from him. He talks about immigrants while he is married to a foreigner. Trump University was a scam. The man gets sued all the time or sues other people. Gets into "feuds" with people, doesn't really have an understanding of how government works and is truly clueless on foreign policy. I am afraid he is going to lead America into a serious war or maybe World War III. Seriously scary.

The guy I want is Gary Johnson, but finally admitting it, he is a lightweight and weird (likable weird but weird). The Aleppo thing killed him. I wish there could be a good third alternative. William Weld would have been alright. But I can't see Gary Johnson meeting Vladamir Putin or making tough decisions on the world stage. I wanted Rand Paul but knew he wouldn't make it (ya GOP morons!).
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 09:46:47 AM »

It is pretty bad.

This all started in 1992 when Bill Clinton went on Arsenio and played the sax.  This was something candidates for President just didn't do.  But Clinton found ways to bypass the "mainstream media".  Now, they all do it, Republican and Democrat.  When I think about it, there was an inevitability of campaigns becoming more and more ridiculous.  Social media has only make it worse.

More like 1952 and the Checkers speech by Nixon.

Nixon had to go through the mainstream media to get TV time for his speech.  Afterward, it was critically reviewed by the talking heads of the day, though not like how it is now.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2016, 10:13:40 AM »

Fair point.

People want leadership acting in the interests of them or in other words "their country", not acting in the interests of the
international committee of boarder crashing, compulsory re-education, de-industrialization... 

Love how that gets turned into "right-wing" "partisan" "non-adult behavior" "I blame republicans"

You guys do realize that by Trump holding these positions or figuring them out, that he is more intelligent than every democrat in the country.  If they were as smart as him than they would take the issue, but they aren't smart.     
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies