Ohio Dems vs Florida Dems, which is worse?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:49:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ohio Dems vs Florida Dems, which is worse?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ohio Dems vs Florida Dems, which is worse?  (Read 2164 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2016, 12:53:53 AM »

Just like Florida, Ohio Democrats have one major office - A US Senate seat (Nelson, Brown) but they fail at everything else they do. Both of their state legislatures are absurdly Republican for being 'swing states'. Every statewide office is held by a Republican and the margins for every office in both states were all double digit wins for Republicans. They put up a county executive who lost his own county by 7, a county which voted for Obama by 40. Now they put up a guy who lost the governor's mansion as the sitting governor to a Fox News host. Now he's trailing Portman by double digits, which is now looking similar to how Portman eviscerated Lee Fischer in 2010. Can they do anything right?

Oh, and if Murphy loses by more than 5 to Rubio and/or Charlie Crist loses, then the Florida Dems are still well up there in incompetence.
PAK Man

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 01:16:46 AM »

Ohio I feel like is worse. Florida at least has a bench and their candidates aren't completely awful. Charlie Crist may be flawed, but he still nearly defeated Rick Scott in a bad year for Democrats. And Patrick Murphy, while not doing great, is still a massive fundraiser who is at least keeping the race close.

There is absolutely no excuse for what's going on in Ohio. Kasich just BARELY won his first term as governor and instead of making the logical move by having Strickland challenge him again, they have him pass and get Ed FitzGerald to run. I think you could make a strong case for FitzGerald being the worst Democratic gubernatorial recruit in 2014. At least in Nevada Democrats had the excuse they weren't even trying to challenge it, but Ohio was a state they were challenging, and it started off the cycle at Leans R/Tossup.

I knew Portman started off the cycle with the advantage, but Strickland was not the candidate they should have gone with. And to be honest, I don't know who they should have gone with.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:15:54 AM »

Ohio, Ted Strickland was a top recruit. But, made a gaffe. Portman seems to be getting the same appeal that George Vonovich gotten during his years in office

Rubio, once he decided to jump back in, it was curtains for Murphy
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 07:24:13 AM »

Ohio by far.  At least Florida has something that somewhat resembles a state Democratic party. 
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 08:10:45 AM »

If anything I see the Florida Democratic Party as ascending while the Ohio Dems are decending (if that's even possible).

At least Florida has some good prospects with Graham, Murphy, Tadeo, and a few others.    Ohio just has nothing.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 08:29:05 AM »

Ohio's trend R is being helped by a nonexistent Democrat bench. Florida has a similar issue, but Murphy and Graham are top notch recruits. It just so happens, Rubio is a better candidate with better name recognition, so Murphy will fade to obscurity. Graham has a good shot at governor in 2018, but so does Adam Putnam.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »

Ohio's trend R is being helped by a nonexistent Democrat bench. Florida has a similar issue, but Murphy and Graham are top notch recruits. It just so happens, Rubio is a better candidate with better name recognition, so Murphy will fade to obscurity. Graham has a good shot at governor in 2018, but so does Adam Putnam.

I really doubt Florida has a R Trend, but I guess we'll see this election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »

Ohio, NV, FL and Iowa are trending R; CO, VA and NH are Dem
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 09:18:28 AM »

Ohio, NV, FL and Iowa are trending R; CO, VA and NH are Dem

Ohio and Iowa I can believe,  Florida and Nevada I'm quite skeptical on.   
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 09:49:41 AM »

Strickland ran with Lee Fisher last in 2010 and Lee Fisher was the worst candidate. Portman has reassured this
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »

Ohio, definitely. But both parties need to get their act together before 2022.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »

Ohio Democrats are the worst. They should have ran Nina Turner, Marcia Fudge, or Tim Ryan. Ted Strickland should run for his old congressional seat or governor in 2018. Sherrod Brown is the only thing going for them.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 11:17:11 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2016, 11:19:27 AM by Da-Jon »

Strickland will retire. Brown will be targeted and doesn't want the ticket to weigh him down. This will be the third thrashing Lee Fisher, Fitzgerald and Strickland.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 11:22:12 AM »

Strickland will retire. Brown will be targeted and doesn't want the ticket to weigh him down. This will be the third thrashing Lee Fisher, Fitzgerald and Strickland.
I see him in a Clinton administration if he loses. Or he can run for his old seat in Congress. He could beat Bill Johnson in 2018. Johnson doesn't have much of a record in the House.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 11:42:39 AM »

I see him in a Clinton administration if he loses. Or he can run for his old seat in Congress. He could beat Bill Johnson in 2018. Johnson doesn't have much of a record in the House.
If 2018 is an R wave year, no. Also, he's been attacked for turning against the NRA and coal country, which is basically what OH-06 is. And he's in his 70's, he should either retire or go back to the private sector.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 11:50:53 AM »

Probably Ohio Dems, but Florida Republican candidates are much more awful than Ohio Republican candidates, so that makes the incompetency of Florida Democrats much more unbearable.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »

Florida Dems have had a much harder time winning statewide in recent years (particularly before 2010), and the GOP has held the governor's office there longer than in Ohio, so I'd have to go with them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 05:17:15 PM »

The Ohio GOP has been one of the most effective party operations in the nation since prior to my being born. It is more about their effectiveness, than the Dem opposition when it comes to Ohio in my opinion.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 06:35:26 PM »

Ohio has a very efficient state party, which in large part is due to them building up Kasich's image and popularity.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 06:48:50 PM »

Jeb was endorsed early on and split vote in primary with Rubio and Trump won. Had things turned out in Kasich favor he would be the 45th PREZ and won Iowa, CO and Va
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 12:34:05 AM »

Well, on paper, Florida Demographics should be excellent for Democrats while Ohio Demographics are not so friendly for Democrats. However, often times a state having a largely minority population often makes whites more republican.

Look how Iowa whites vote, versus Alabama whites. Of course, it is not a solid line, as white voters in Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming are intensely Republican.

I vividly remember the 2006 midterm elections.. Solid Democratic year and Bill Nelson won huge over Katherine Harris (lol), but Democrats failed to win any of the executive offices, save Chief Financial Officer. In 2010 and 2014, they won zero statewide offices.

Eh, on balance, I would say Florida Democrats are more inept and Ohio Republicans just have good demographics and an excellent party structure.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 04:26:27 PM »

So my favorite professor also happens to be a very instrumental figure in the FLDP, so I'll say the OHDP is worse. The Florida Democrats appear to be as incompetant as they are because they happen to be against one of the, if not the best period, state GOP branches in the country.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 04:45:04 PM »

So my favorite professor also happens to be a very instrumental figure in the FLDP, so I'll say the OHDP is worse. The Florida Democrats appear to be as incompetant as they are because they happen to be against one of the, if not the best period, state GOP branches in the country.

Florida Republicans are certainly not one of the best state GOP parties.   I would honestly say they're in the bottom third.    The GOP House and the GOP Senate can never agree on anything, they put Rick Scott into the governor's office when it's clear he has no idea how to govern, and they just got lucky basically with a three way race in 2010 to win Rubio's seat.   

They also find themselves in multiple cases of corruption, as exampled by the current scandal with the FL AG and Trump.    Florida politics is just a mess really,  they need a revamp from top to bottom.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 04:56:46 PM »

Just like Florida, Ohio Democrats have one major office - A US Senate seat (Nelson, Brown) but they fail at everything else they do. Both of their state legislatures are absurdly Republican for being 'swing states'. Every statewide office is held by a Republican and the margins for every office in both states were all double digit wins for Republicans. They put up a county executive who lost his own county by 7, a county which voted for Obama by 40. Now they put up a guy who lost the governor's mansion as the sitting governor to a Fox News host. Now he's trailing Portman by double digits, which is now looking similar to how Portman eviscerated Lee Fischer in 2010. Can they do anything right?

Oh, and if Murphy loses by more than 5 to Rubio and/or Charlie Crist loses, then the Florida Dems are still well up there in incompetence.
Ohio Republicans have drawn the state lines for the last 30 years. Dems got wiped in a bad year in 10, and then got to draw the most Republican districts we've ever seen. The majority of Ohioans still voted Democrat on the down ticket in '14, but it just doesn't matter given the districts.

You also have to define what you mean by "bad" in order to get a substantive answer as to which is "worse."
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 08:23:56 PM »

It is all a matter of time before FL becomes a Dem state since Garland will make the boundaries for FL gerrrymandering.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies