Jason Kander: Badass?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:06:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Jason Kander: Badass?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Jason Kander: Badass?  (Read 4896 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »

Don't agree with some of the message, but it's a damn good ad for a Democrat in Missouri. Kander is really a top-notch candidate.

Hopefully the combination of Koster and Kander will lead to some Democratic gains in the MO legislature.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 04:15:22 PM »

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 04:39:46 PM »

While Kander is a good candidate, he is still lucky to face Roy Blunt. A Rob Portman-type Republican incumbent would easily beat him.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »

Honestly,
The feeling I have is that people on this forum get too enthusiastic (orpessimistic for the republicans lol) about 1 poll that seems to be:
- dubious
-too many undecided

I'm not writing off Jason Kander but he's clearly an underdog, Lean Rep
swf541

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 06:20:34 PM »

Honestly,
The feeling I have is that people on this forum get too enthusiastic (orpessimistic for the republicans lol) about 1 poll that seems to be:
- dubious
-too many undecided

I'm not writing off Jason Kander but he's clearly an underdog, Lean Rep

I'm more convinced by the fact the DSCC is putting resources here than the emerson poll
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 11:57:14 PM »

Not nearly as effective.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 11:58:30 PM »

Haha nice pun there! I also saw some of Blunt's other ads, they're pretty good. He seems to be great at making ads. And Kander is definitely no moderate.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2016, 12:08:03 AM »

Just learned Kander is Jewish lol. Along with Greitens in the Gov race, Kander is a military vet. Apparently, Missouri is the place to go to find Jewish War vets who also happen to be attractive.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but Kander could be Presidential material.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2016, 09:04:36 PM »

the first ad sounded like whining. Like a jealous ex-boyfriend who wants to win back the girl and the new boyfriend can play guitar very well, so the ex-boyfriend screams "ANYONE CAN PLAY GUITAR BRO"
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2016, 10:49:21 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Kander wins, but my gut still tells me that Roy Blunt is going to win. This is Missouri after all and it's slowly slipping away from the Democrats.

Just learned Kander is Jewish lol. Along with Greitens in the Gov race, Kander is a military vet. Apparently, Missouri is the place to go to find Jewish War vets who also happen to be attractive.

Kander sounds like a Jewish last name since it almost sounds like 'Cantor'.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2016, 11:08:06 PM »

If Kander wins, Missouri will have two very liberal Senators representing them, despite it being a quite conservative state.

Nixon's so conservative that he's lost multiple elections because African Americans would either vote blank ballots or outright vote for the Republican (I think Kit Bond won like 20% of the African American vote against Nixon when they ran against one another).

Did he?  That's incredible.

Bond winning 20%? Yeah. African Americans are pretty elastic in the Mideast(MN, IA, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, and MO). Kasich something like a third of the African American vote in 2014.

Bond was also a relatively moderate Republican who wouldn't horrify black voters the way typical red state Republicans do these days.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 12:13:36 PM »

I mean Bond would be considered a relatively moderate Republican now, but Bond spent a lot of his time serving with John Danforth, so Bond would be considered the staunchly conservative one.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 12:20:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[/quote]

That's true. never thought of it that way.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 10:26:11 PM »

[/quote]

It seems like being Jewish is a major handicap in the political world. Historically, there haven't been very many Jewish senators and governors despite several candidates running for those offices.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2016, 10:35:03 PM »

It seems like being Jewish is a major handicap in the political world. Historically, there haven't been very many Jewish senators and governors despite several candidates running for those offices.
[/quote]
Interesting how the Jewish candidates for Governor and Senator, while of different parties, are both the underdogs in their respective races. Also never gave thought to the similarities of the names 'Kander' and 'Cantor' at all.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2016, 11:27:54 PM »

Interesting how the Jewish candidates for Governor and Senator, while of different parties, are both the underdogs in their respective races. Also never gave thought to the similarities of the names 'Kander' and 'Cantor' at all.
[/quote]

And that one MO GOP politician committed suicide allegedly because his opponents were starting smear campaigns accusing him of being Jewish.
Trapsy

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2016, 09:27:40 AM »

https://twitter.com/JasonKander/status/779777359792709633

I'm voting for Kander now.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2016, 10:32:42 AM »

[/quote]

No, it really depends where and if we're talking about a general election or a (Republican) primary.  Cruz proved that jew-baiting is still extremely effective in the Iowa Caucuses and clearly the Missouri Republican Party has a problem with that given the smear campaign against Schweich).  I'd also bet there are plenty of places in the South and some (though not as many) in the Midwest where being Jewish would be a handicap (though not a deal-breaker either), but it's also an advantage in many large cities (ex: NYC, Philadelphia, Cleveland, etc) and states in like New York, New Jersey, and possibly Florida (Gore definitely got a boost there just by having Lieberman on the ticket)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »

Being Jewish is definitely a plus in states like NY, NJ and FL (and also with PA and CA, to a lesser extent).

I don't think it is a negative in most states. Missouri, though, is definitely one of the few that I will agree and say it is (Old Antisemitism). I can also see it being a problem in ultra-leftist areas like Berkeley (New Antisemitism) because of Israel or other issues like that.

* Old Antisemitism = the right-wing/Neo-Nazi variant that blames Jews for killing Jesus etc...
* New Antisemitism = the left-wing and Radical Islam-fueled variant that  harps on Jews for supporting Israel, being Zionist, being "white" etc...

The interesting twist is that lack of diverse representation within the Jewish community's political officials. Most American Jewish pols are Ashkenazim. Which makes sense as the nationwide community as a whole is most likely like ~75%-80% Ashkenazi.

But, Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews are more right-leaning, in general, and I'm surprised there aren't more running for office.

There is also the secular and religious divide w/i the community. We are starting to see Orthodox and Hasidic Jews become much more prominent in the Jewish political community. Joe Lieberman and Jack Lew kind of got the ball rolling, imo. Lew is an orthodox Jew and Lieberman is observant and traditional and never worked on the Jewish sabbath.

Not long after long-time, backbench orthodox politicians like Dov Hikind and David Greenfield started to make a name for themselves and are now known as firebrand decision makers in places like NYC.

But, going back to the ethnic aspect:

The only two Sephardic Jews I can think of who've held office or were politically prominent are Shelley Berkeley (on her mother's side; father's side was Ashkenazi) and SCOTUS Justice Benjamin Cardozo (family originated from Spain). I am sure there's been more but I can't think of any.

It's interesting to me, because a lot of the sephardic and mizrahi communities have enough political capital to try and seek office. Syrian Jews in New Jersey; Bukharan Jews in Queens; Mountain and Georgian Jews in Brooklyn (both of which are not the same, btw...); Persian Jews in LA.

I think if these groups break through the glass ceiling, then the Jewish community will see a big debate on the direction of its political goals and agenda.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2016, 12:58:53 PM »

So the NRA opposes both Jewish candidates in MO. Bad! Go Jason Kander!
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »

So the NRA opposes both Jewish candidates in MO. Bad! Go Jason Kander!

In Greitens case, the NRA sees him as an unknown while Koster has an actual record on gun rights.
In Kander's case, the guy has always scored D's or F's on gun rights.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2016, 01:23:16 PM »

Did not realize until reading this thread that Greitens and Kander are Jewish. Huh.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2016, 02:00:02 PM »

Did not realize until reading this thread that Greitens and Kander are Jewish. Huh.

Cheesy It's apart of the conspiracy! lmaooo
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2016, 02:03:56 PM »

We really need a Senate poll from here. Yes, Missouri went Republican in the early 2000s but it has never swung hard right.

I would expect Presidential, Governor and Senate polls to be accurate. However, downballot races will be harder to poll.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies