How would you change Obamacare?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:14:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How would you change Obamacare?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would you change Obamacare?  (Read 163 times)
Buffalo Bill
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »

First, I'd really only be making two changes.  One would be instead of making it mandatory, it would be automatic to save Americans headaches.  A sliding scale would be established taxing everyone $60 for every $1,000 earned after $20,000 based on the previous year's tax returns.  In other words a 6% federal healthcare tax would be applied to incomes over $20,000.  Other funding would come from payroll taxes.  Eligibility consists of U.S. citizenship for 3 months or longer and annual incomes of less than $200,000 for each policy.  Those earning more than $200,000 would be responsible for purchasing their own coverage but not "required" as the law now states.  For anyone making under $200,000 whose employer doesn't provide coverage, the tax and automatic coverage would be applied.  Children could remain on their parents' insurance until the age of 20.  At 20 it's time for to begin taxing them for the system as well.  Coverage would include up to 50 visits a year per policy going up to 100 if someone on the policy is hospitalized.  Bi-annual eye examinations and chiropractor appointments would be included as well with annual eye exams for children under 20 and senior citizens. 

I only see 2 changes I'm making.  One is that it would be automatic for instead of required.  The only people not on this program would be the rich who refused to purchase their own insurance and those who aren't rich but have insurance through their employer.  My only other change would be to not require religious organizations to provide contraceptives. 

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 03:58:06 PM »

Repeal every word.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:06:59 PM »

How would we cover the uninsured though? We need close to universal health care.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 08:05:11 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2016, 08:17:46 PM by Spicy Purrito »

How would we cover the uninsured though? We need close to universal health care.

A lot of people think the correct answer was nothing in 2009 and still think nothing should ever be done.

Define "close". 0% Uninsured would be great. But a lot of our competitors claim universal coverage at 5 to 6. We were at 17. Now we are at 9.

I think Trump's ideas are actually good but without actually repealing the ACA. Either his, or the public option, or both would be good with what we have. The goal is to break cartel power of insurers while not chilling the insurance market. The time that no longer is possible, we must have single payer or some sort of healthcare finance system that replaces insurance with a combination of savings accounts and credit to jump start the savings account.

With BC, I think if a company can show that part of the job requires its employees to practice its religion, I'm ok with the exemption, else I am reasonably concerned about the employees freedom of religion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies