How do Israeli Americans vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:22:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do Israeli Americans vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do Israeli Americans vote?  (Read 996 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2016, 04:36:01 PM »
« edited: August 07, 2016, 05:04:08 PM by King of Kensington »

i.e. Israeli immigrants in the US.  I haven't seen any hard data.  I'm guessing they're more hawkish/GOP than American-born Jews, though there are probably more liberals among the than Russian Jewish immigrants (though there is likely quite a bit overlap between the two populations).

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 06:06:08 PM »

Israel is a pretty diverse state. It probably depends on which groups disproportionately emigrate.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 08:17:01 PM »

Israel is a pretty diverse state. It probably depends on which groups disproportionately emigrate.

This. It depends on the demographic of Israeli society they represent.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 08:50:49 PM »

Right.  That is a good question.

It's also tricky to define "Israeli" because Israel has a high immigrant population itself.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 09:44:32 PM »

It's worth noting that a lot of Israeli-Americans aren't immigrants, but rather are Americans who acquired Israeli citizenship later on out of solidarity with the country. I'd guess that group leans heavily Republican.

Someone who was born in Israel and emigrated to the US in recent years was probably put off by the country's growing religiosity and conservatism, so I'd guess that group would be more inclined to vote Democratic. And if they were Arab Israelis, I'd imagine they'd be very Democratic-leaning.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »

Probably more left leaning then Americans who emigrated to Israel on average.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 12:21:53 AM »

Probably more left leaning then Americans who emigrated to Israel on average.

Eh, I disagree. Israelis who move to the U.S. generally do it for economic/job reasons, which makes the pool of Israeli-Americans harder to pinpoint ideologically.

Also, many immigrants to Israel from the U.S. are still very likely to be Democrat (Schumer/Lieberman type Democrat but Democrat nonetheless).

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 12:35:11 AM »

Right.  That is a good question.

It's also tricky to define "Israeli" because Israel has a high immigrant population itself.

I am technically Israeli-American. I have dual citizenship. But, I never lived in Israel nor was I born in Israel. So, I'm not culturally Israeli nor am I Sabra. My Sister is in the same situation as me in this regard.   Very few people would call me Israeli (including myself.)

I got my citizenship via my parents, both of who have Israeli citizenship. My Dad was born in Israel, so he is a Sabra, but lived there for like a year of his life. He fits some of the Israeli cultural norms but I feel he is more American in mindset and thinking than Israeli.

My Mother is not a sabra (she immigrated to Israel from the USSR) but she graduated high school from Israel  before immigrating to the U.S.. From my immediate family she knows the most hebrew, fits the Israeli look and has some Israeli mannerisms.

So, all of my immediate family members, all of us are Israeli-Americans, technically, but I only consider my parents as actually being Israeli-Americans.

I think it is important to make distinctions analyzing Israeli-Americans.

People w/ Israeli citizenship but never lived there/not born there shouldn't count towards any analysis.
People w/ Israeli citizenship and weren't born there but immigrated there before immigrating to U.S. count.  
People w/ Israeli citizenship and were born there and grew up there should count.
People w/ Israeli citizenship and were born there but didn't grow up there kind of count.
People w/ Israeli citizenship and weren't born there but immigrated from the U.S. and than came back don't count

After you get all of that figured out you also have to start dividing up people by what part of Israeli society they come from:

- Israeli Jews, obviously, make up like 90%+ of Israeli-Americans but there are some Israeli-Arab Muslims and Christians who moved to the U.S.
- Religious or Secular Israeli Jews
- Ashkenazi or Sephardic/Mizrahi Jews
- USSR Israeli Jews

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »

I doubt anyone else will respond, but there's this group I forgot to mention:

https://www.israeliamerican.org/

The Israeli-American Council represents the interests of Israelis living in America and Israelis who became American citizens. I always got the feeling that the group leans rightwards. Maybe this is an indication of how Israeli-Americans vote as a whole.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »

i.e. Israeli immigrants in the US.  I haven't seen any hard data.  I'm guessing they're more hawkish/GOP than American-born Jews, though there are probably more liberals among the than Russian Jewish immigrants (though there is likely quite a bit overlap between the two populations).

Depends, you have the Berkeley type- hitech and academics who would go heavily D. On the other hand you got the I moved here in the 70's to drive a taxi and now I have a shop type (in LA, Florida, Texas and such) - I reckon will go 50-50, as they are Sephardis they are usually more hawkish.
And then you have all sorts of other small groups

I guess lean D overall but not by a large margin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies