Why are colleges shutting down free speech?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:17:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are colleges shutting down free speech?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why are colleges shutting down free speech?  (Read 3090 times)
Buffalo Bill
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2016, 04:51:39 PM »

And justifying it with "safe zones?"  We've gone this long with free speech and done fine so why take away our first amendment now?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »

College leftists want to ram down their speech to the rest of the populace. Not everyone has to agree with BLM, and other leftist groups. Colleges (some colleges) are now leftist indoctrination centers. All Whites bad, all minorities good and saints in some of their eyes.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:31:11 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2016, 06:35:20 PM by Wolverine22 »

True story: I was sitting in a "dining hall" (can't call it a cafeteria anymore) at my original alma mater of Western Michigan University my freshman year chatting with a friend from my "residence hall" (because you can't say "dorm" anymore.). One of his SJW friends who "identifies" as Trans-species, human-to-feline, threw a fit when I used the term "bitch" to describe an unrelated person who was a spiteful bitch.

"You just used a sexist slur that's the same as calling a Black person a n***!"

Although I'll always miss WMU and am still sad that's not where I'll finish my degree, I sure as hell don't miss the SJWs and misandrists and made-up, self-proclaimed "minority statuses" that were there.

Many people go to college and come out as liberals. I went into college as a non-judgmental liberal and ended up being dragged to the center. I just wish more people in society were willing to say to those people that your little "species identity" is the most ridiculous thing we've ever heard of.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:45:31 PM »

True story: I was sitting in a "dining hall" (can't call it a cafeteria anymore) at my original alma mater of Western Michigan University my freshman year chatting with a friend from my "residence hall" (because you can't say "dorm" anymore.). One of his SJW friends who "identifies" as Trans-species, human-to-feline, threw a fit when I used the term "bitch" to describe an unrelated person who was a spiteful bitch.

Although I'll always miss WMU and am still sad that's not where I'll finish my degree, I sure as hell don't miss the SJWs and misandrists and made-up, self-proclaimed "minority statuses" that were there.

Many people go to college and come out as liberals. I went into college as a non-judgmental liberal and ended up being dragged to the center. I just wish more people in society were willing to say to those people that your little "species identity" is the most ridiculous thing we've ever heard of.

I have gotten more Conservative in my one year in  college so far
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 06:54:50 PM »

That actually happens your first couple of years of college...and you see all kinds of people at college though I imagine my experience was pretty plain. We did go to having a gay marriage parade to a picket of aborted fetuses the next, though...and people trolling them with folded up coat hangers.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »

And justifying it with "safe zones?"  We've gone this long with free speech and done fine so why take away our first amendment now?

Please, as if your ilk weren't gleefully supporting the Hollywood Blacklist and HUAC back in the day.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 07:17:37 PM »

Right-wing concern trolling is tiring after a while.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »

I'm not sure that I agree with the original poster in this thread, but I'm actually wondering why college students need to have "safe spaces".

It seems like everyone is emotionally sensitive these days. There are actually people that experience PTSD-type symptoms from seeing a Trump/Pence sticker or even the name "Trump".

Grow some goddamned skin!
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 08:51:03 PM »

College leftists want to ram down their speech to the rest of the populace. Not everyone has to agree with BLM, and other leftist groups. Colleges (some colleges) are now leftist indoctrination centers. All Whites bad, all minorities good and saints in some of their eyes.

We must defeat these so called institutions.

True. I believe in free speech. What I don't believe in is indoctrination. If I have a different opinion than yours, I respectfully disagree. I don't shut people down in fascist North Korean style debate like the SJWs do.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 08:57:49 PM »

That actually happens your first couple of years of college...and you see all kinds of people at college though I imagine my experience was pretty plain. We did go to having a gay marriage parade to a picket of aborted fetuses the next, though...and people trolling them with folded up coat hangers.

See they even allowed you to protest, but not if your rally was to support guns. Everyone at my college hated professors being liberal and it had an adverse effect but at state schools there's alot of big money coming in from wealthy liberals and the all powerful government.  They're the 1% with the power and we're the 99%.  Let's do something about it.

I really didn't protest...I really had fun talking to all the gay marriage, fetal personhood, and planned parenthood people. There was a strong gun rights community, too. It was a relatively open place. They even supported a fundamentalist rape apologist.

I just don't have the experience with class and advocacy inversion that Republicans have in claiming they are being oppressed by those who refuse to oppress them.

Though there is something about Burke and how the ancient regime liberates people with certainty and how a rigid class/caste ststem guarantees social belonging and structure.

I'm not sure that I agree with the original poster in this thread, but I'm actually wondering why college students need to have "safe spaces".

It seems like everyone is emotionally sensitive these days. There are actually people that experience PTSD-type symptoms from seeing a Trump/Pence sticker or even the name "Trump".

Republicans can be as easy to bait.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »

See they even allowed you to protest, but not if your rally was to support guns. Everyone at my college hated professors being liberal and it had an adverse effect but at state schools there's alot of big money coming in from wealthy liberals and the all powerful government.  They're the 1% with the power and we're the 99%.  Let's do something about it.

I really didn't protest...I really had fun talking to all the gay marriage, fetal personhood, and planned parenthood people. There was a strong gun rights community, too. It was a relatively open place. They even supported a fundamentalist rape apologist.

I just don't have the experience with class and advocacy inversion that Republicans have in claiming they are being oppressed by those who refuse to oppress them.

Though there is something about Burke and how the ancient regime liberates people with certainty and how a rigid class/caste ststem guarantees social belonging and structure.

Everyone is unique, special snowflake in college.  That seems to be a common theme reinforced among students across every college campus.  It's one of the biggest problems with this phase of SJWism.  You cant tell anybody that theyre wrong because every opinion is automatically valid if you believe it (unless youre a straight white male)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 09:22:32 PM »

Whatever this 'safe space' is, I never experienced it personally -and I was among those few who joined the College Republicans and considered myself a moderate conservative.  At least when I first got there.  

This must be something that crept up in the decade or so after I left.  
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 09:58:13 PM »

Everyone is unique, special snowflake in college.  That seems to be a common theme reinforced among students across every college campus.  It's one of the biggest problems with this phase of SJWism.  You cant tell anybody that theyre wrong because every opinion is automatically valid if you believe it (unless youre a straight white male)

Feels before reals; your subjective reality is meant to be understood as the unequivocal truth...provided that it is the correct subjective reality for your demographic group. Hence women disagreeing with feminists being accused of having "internalized misogyny", even though their experiences are supposed to be valid too.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 10:15:39 AM »

The actions of a few idiots leads to the next moral panic. Can we please move on?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 10:43:35 AM »

I attend one public university (Ohio State) of hundreds in America, but my time spent here has convinced me that the whole issue of colleges shutting down free speech is either massively overblown or somehow magically doesn't apply to us. People protest speakers all the time, sure, (and right-wing groups do too) but nobody seriously expects them to leave or quit over it.

As for the question of guns, we have active organizations on campus that will teach you how to shoot accurately and safely, and help you get licensed to carry. I don't think we've had pro- or anti-gun protests recently, because that issue isn't really particularly salient, especially to young people. Along the lines of gay marriage, while the shouting is continuing, it's basically over and the pro-gun rights people have won.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »

I attend one public university (Ohio State) of hundreds in America, but my time spent here has convinced me that the whole issue of colleges shutting down free speech is either massively overblown or somehow magically doesn't apply to us. People protest speakers all the time, sure, (and right-wing groups do too) but nobody seriously expects them to leave or quit over it.

As for the question of guns, we have active organizations on campus that will teach you how to shoot accurately and safely, and help you get licensed to carry. I don't think we've had pro- or anti-gun protests recently, because that issue isn't really particularly salient, especially to young people. Along the lines of gay marriage, while the shouting is continuing, it's basically over and the pro-gun rights people have won.
That sounds very similar to my experience thus far. And I'm a part of several different clubs where there should be numerous SJW's. What gives?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2016, 11:55:30 AM by Spicy Purrito »

That sounds very similar to my experience thus far. And I'm a part of several different clubs where there should be numerous SJW's. What gives?
I mean, they are out there its just when I was there, they were all pretty reasonable. There were a lot of pro-SSM and even some pro-choice Republicans and quite a few pro-life Catholic Democrats and  a lot of libertarian-leaning pro-2A Dems. There was a lot of bipartisan support for drug reform. The only problems we had was one liberal lying about being threatened to be raped and one Christian Conservative that was talking about how rape should be legal if the victim doesn't scream. The former is definitely a misdemeanor and the latter may constitute "fighting words" but probably not...
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 12:41:23 PM »

They aren't. They're promoting it, but some people are just not comfortable with hearing alternative points of view.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 06:02:15 PM »

They aren't. They're promoting it, but some people are just not comfortable with hearing alternative points of view.

If they can't hear different points of view, they don't belong in college. This is what happens when you bring the lowest of the low into prestigious institutions. Unqualified morons. And they aren't studying engineering. Useless majors like Women's and Men's Studies, etc. I don't see what that major can provide in terms of a paycheck.

It's spreading all over the Western world. A Canadian American Trump supporter wore the hat and a SJW called it "unsafe". How foolish. She thinks her little bubble revolves around her and her type. Wonder what job she'll get in the future?
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 06:44:51 PM »

If they can't hear different points of view, they don't belong in college. This is what happens when you bring the lowest of the low into prestigious institutions. Unqualified morons. And they aren't studying engineering. Useless majors like Women's and Men's Studies, etc. I don't see what that major can provide in terms of a paycheck.

It's spreading all over the Western world. A Canadian American Trump supporter wore the hat and a SJW called it "unsafe". How foolish. She thinks her little bubble revolves around her and her type. Wonder what job she'll get in the future?
Are you actually fycking implying that all study and learning should be about a job? You may be the densest I've come across in a while.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 06:47:44 PM »

College hasn't liberalized me at all. Granted Iowa State isn't as strict as a lot of other places - Our "free speech zones" are essentially just recommendations based on consistent student presence in certain areas of campus - as long as you aren't harassing anyone you're fine at any outdoor location.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »

Are you actually fycking implying that all study and learning should be about a job? You may be the densest I've come across in a while.

Colleges are about jobs. Not wasting time like leeches. That's what it is about.

Take a gender class if you want to learn Women's history, etc, but what job are you going to get with that major? This is why some of these colleges do leftist madness.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »

Colleges are about jobs. Not wasting time like leeches. That's what it is about.

Take a gender class if you want to learn Women's history, etc, but what job are you going to get with that major? This is why some of these colleges do leftist madness.
Get off this forum then, anything you learn here won't make you any money.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »

I was referring to conservatives as much as liberals.

Sorry, but education isn't and shouldn't be purely vocational. It's about analytical thinking and analysis, moving beyond simple A to B thinking. There are jobs for people who major in something other than engineering, and while it's important to have some students going into business or a STEM field, we need people studying the humanities as well. Pushing too many students into STEM will simply guarantee that a larger percentage of the population is without a job. We should have engineering students who enjoy engineering, and are motivated to contribute to the field, not people who are only in it for the money.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »

Aren't safe spaces just places where racism isn't allowed?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies