If the election was held today, who would win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:07:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If the election was held today, who would win?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Skip
Trump

Clinton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: If the election was held today, who would win?  (Read 2727 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 12:45:24 PM »

I still have faith in this country to not elect this generation's iteration of Goldwater.

Firstly, Goldwater was still worse.

Secondly, the country "elected" George W. Bush over Al Gore, Reagan over Jimmy Carter more cases of style over substance.

Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »

I still have faith in this country to not elect this generation's iteration of Goldwater.

Was he?  His backers were all super-HPs, hardcore white supremacists,  but I don't think Barry himself cared about race.  Barry was the prototype of the modern conservative, but lacked the sensitivity to win others to his message.  He might have scared the s*** out of a lot of people as President, but honestly, it wouldn't have been a disaster.  The civil rights legislation of 1964 had already been passed, and there's no way he could have turned that back.  He might even have gotten us out of Vietnam.  (Hopefully not by nuking Hanoi.)

Goldwater was tone-deaf, but at least he had a firm grasp of policy.  Trump OTOH knows exactly how to tune his message to energize the deplorables he seeks, while simultaneously having zero understanding of, or desire to understand, policy.  That makes him much more dangerous.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »

Was he?  His backers were all super-HPs, hardcore white supremacists,  but I don't think Barry himself cared about race.  Barry was the prototype of the modern conservative, but lacked the sensitivity to win others to his message.  He might have scared the s*** out of a lot of people as President, but honestly, it wouldn't have been a disaster.  The civil rights legislation of 1964 had already been passed, and there's no way he could have turned that back.  He might even have gotten us out of Vietnam.  (Hopefully not by nuking Hanoi.)

Goldwater was tone-deaf, but at least he had a firm grasp of policy.  Trump OTOH knows exactly how to tune his message to energize the deplorables he seeks, while simultaneously having zero understanding of, or desire to understand, policy.  That makes him much more dangerous.
Plus, the willingness to use nukes cancels out.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies