Someone reassure me
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:06:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Someone reassure me
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Someone reassure me  (Read 4300 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2016, 07:33:28 PM »

What's next for the Clinton camp? What are we going to do to stop this nosedive?
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 07:34:40 PM »

Nothing it's time for her to pay the price for taking advantage of the underprivileged.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 07:35:42 PM »

What's next for the Clinton camp? What are we going to do to stop this nosedive?

Appearing on a stage next to Trump three times in a row will more than do the trick.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 07:39:50 PM »

Beats me. America looks ready to elect Trump. Romney/OH/FL/NV/IA/ME-2 + one of PA/MI/WI/VA/CO/NH will be the map.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »

Debates, good organization, and attacks on Trump, rather than his supporters. One possible positive outcome from the tightening of the polls is that it may help Democrats realize that this race isn't over, and that we can't take victory for granted. Hopefully the threat of a President Trump will become more real to them, and energize them to come out and work hard to get Hillary elected.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 07:40:41 PM »

Are we going to have this nonsense again?

Remember before the DNC?

"OMG, Clinton is collapsing!!! Oh, no!!! What are we going to do?!?"
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 07:44:19 PM »

Beats me. America looks ready to elect Trump. Romney/OH/FL/NV/IA/ME-2 + one of PA/MI/WI/VA/CO/NH will be the map.

Good lord.

Anyway. Stop seeking reassurance. Understand how this stuff works, Democrats need to be prepared to fight JUST as hard and dirty as the GOP. With Trump they've gone for the darkest, nastiest and most vicious candidate in modern history. Add into that one with absolutely no sense of shame.

Democrats needs to grow the f**k up and realise this is nasty and ugly and while winning isn't guaranteed, the dynamics and electoral fundamentals still suggest a Clinton win, the one way you guarantee Clinton loses is if Dems freak out, pack up and go home because this doesn't seem as easy as it did a few weeks ago.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 08:08:04 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2016, 07:17:45 AM by angus »

Were I working for Clinton, or even a supporter, I'd advise her first and foremost to get some rest and keep her mouth shut for a while.  No speeches, no press conferences.  (Not giving press conferences didn't seem to hurt her.  It was only after she started screeching that she started to nosedive.)  Her spokespeople can go out and campaign for a while, and her best stand-in is still her husband, who always draws crowds and applause.  While she rests she can brush up on policy and prepare for debates.  People may not have watched the primary debates in droves, but we can expect at least 50 million people to watch the Clinton-Trump debates.  That's her chance to shine, because despite her many faults, she is well educated in both domestic and foreign policy.  In those debates, I'd advise her to stay positive, even as Trump hits below the belt.  Figure out some condescending glance or clever statement to make, of the "I knew Jack Kennedy and you're no Jack Kennedy" variety that Bentsen used successfully against Quayle in 1988, despite the fact that his running mate lost to Quayle's running mate.  

Also, never forget that the mic is always on, even when you're only talking about half of your opponent's supporters.  People don't read long reports.  They don't look at party platforms.  They don't understand the details of foreign or domestic policy.  They understand soundbites and hopeful promises.

The election is still hers to lose.  She has at least 250 or so solid electoral votes, compared to Trump's 170 or so.  It could go either way, but if she sticks to the script, prepares for the debate, gets well, and stays positive, she will win.

Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 08:17:22 PM »

T
H
E
R
E

I
S

N
O

H
O
P
E

D
E
H
U
M
A
N
I
Z
E

Y
O
U
R
S
E
L
F

A
N
D

F
A
C
E

T
O

B
L
O
O
D
S
H
E
D
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 08:23:12 PM »

We always knew the race would tighten. Trump is not leading every poll nor is he considered ahead in polls-plus forecasts. He still has considerable ground to make up. Clinton will rebound. Clinton continues to lead in the firewall states. Trump can win Ohio, Florida, Iowa, Nevada, and North Carolina and still lose. That is reassuring to me as a Clinton supporter.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 08:35:57 PM »

Good lord.

Anyway. Stop seeking reassurance. Understand how this stuff works, Democrats need to be prepared to fight JUST as hard and dirty as the GOP. With Trump they've gone for the darkest, nastiest and most vicious candidate in modern history. Add into that one with absolutely no sense of shame.

Democrats needs to grow the f**k up and realise this is nasty and ugly and while winning isn't guaranteed, the dynamics and electoral fundamentals still suggest a Clinton win, the one way you guarantee Clinton loses is if Dems freak out, pack up and go home because this doesn't seem as easy as it did a few weeks ago.

Have you noticed just how low the bar is set for Trump and polls? Hillary leads in the polls for basically all but a couple weeks combined and the second Trump gains on her and begins taking the lead in some polls, suddenly it's "lights out! Hillary is DONE!" As if her often-large, consistent leads in the polls for over a year meant nothing and that somehow recovery from this just isn't possible (despite her recovering from a similar situation already months ago)

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »

Good lord.

Have you noticed just how low the bar is set for Trump and polls? Hillary leads in the polls for basically all but a couple weeks combined and the second Trump gains on her and begins taking the lead in some polls, suddenly it's "lights out! Hillary is DONE!" As if her often-large, consistent leads in the polls for over a year meant nothing and that somehow recovery from this just isn't possible (despite her recovering from a similar situation already months ago)

Hillary doesn't have her convention to help her this time. The debates, well, anything could happen. Trump could do really well.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »

Remember before the DNC?

Except that the conventions are over, and Trump continues to essentially say what he wants now with little to no repercussions.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 09:15:22 PM »

Remember before the DNC?

Except that the conventions are over, and Trump continues to essentially say what he wants now with little to no repercussions.
Trump's been out of the news cycle for a while... and now, as Clinton's health fades, he's leaping back in, full tilt. If his bubble manages not to burst, the debates will change that.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 10:11:04 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's mostly Republicans coming out of the woodwork gloating now that their guy is almost running even with Hillary, plus the media hyping up Trump's resurgence that is putting Democrats on edge.  Notice how much more Blue Avatar activity there has been on this forum?  The "in" thing is to bash Hillary and portray Trump as the dark horse.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 10:42:38 PM »

If I were a Democrat, I'd leave it to one word: Economics.

When we Republicans start squawking about "class warfare", we're losing the debate.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 10:47:49 PM »

As popular as Johnson and Stein might seem, there's a lot of people that will only vote dem or gop.  This is just a hunch, but I think if people think Trump could actually win, they might be more likely to think long and hard before actually pulling the lever for him.  As long as they continue to think Hillary is a foregone conclusion, they won't be afraid to vote for Trump.
Hollywood
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 11:31:29 PM »

She has no message!  She has no enthusiasm.  Her negatives are almost as close or equal to Trump.  She needs to win this debate!  She needs to push the Supreme Court and Roe v. Wade issue, and get Donald Trumps stance on this issue.  I expect Trump to interrupt her and Clinton to say, "There he goes again interrupting women."  Not good enough.  She need to win women big, cause Trump is doing better among this demographic and has made a major push this week to court female voters with is family leave and over-the-counter contraceptive push. 

Next, she needs to push the immigration issue and make that a top priority.  Polls show that most Americans disagree with Trumps position.  Most importantly, the college/Professionally-educated men and women.   

Also, she needs to perform without any slip-ups, because Trump will not be judged on slip-ups.  Trump is not a politician.  He's an average American that speaks in simple terms.   This is his greatest upside and biggest downside. 

Lastly, she needs to push Trump's ignorance of politics and government, because that is one of Trump's most glaring disabilities. 

Anyway, Trump will probably be our President, so all praise our new overlord.   

Peace!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 11:34:16 PM »

Debates, good organization, and attacks on Trump, rather than his supporters. One possible positive outcome from the tightening of the polls is that it may help Democrats realize that this race isn't over, and that we can't take victory for granted. Hopefully the threat of a President Trump will become more real to them, and energize them to come out and work hard to get Hillary elected.

If I were a Hillary supporter, I'd take solace in this.

As a Trump supporter, I take solace in Hillary's seeming inability to come off as sincere about anything.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 11:44:27 PM »

If I were a Hillary supporter, I'd take solace in this.

As a Trump supporter, I take solace in Hillary's seeming inability to come off as sincere about anything.

If irony were light, you'd be the sun.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 11:49:32 PM »

This is just a hunch, but I think if people think Trump could actually win, they might be more likely to think long and hard before actually pulling the lever for him.  As long as they continue to think Hillary is a foregone conclusion, they won't be afraid to vote for Trump.

I doubt that, but I do think it's possible we'll see something like that with Johnson/Stein - if Hillary or Trump seems like a foregone conclusion, their numbers surge because people won't see any risk with voting for them - the winning major party is basically set in stone. If it's a close race, there could be a lot of people who might be telling pollsters in the final days that they're voting for Johnson or Stein, but when they walk into the booth, they think "Well, you know, this is a close race. I really don't want [insert Hillary OR Trump], and it really seems like it could come down to just a few votes. I want to vote 3rd party, but I'd feel terrible if [insert Trump or Hillary] needs my vote to win and doesn't have it. I'll hold my nose and vote for [insert Trump or Hillary].". It could make the difference in terms of whether Johnson hits 5% nationwide. If he hits 5%, the libertarian party becomes eligible for public funding in 2020. The same stuff that the major party candidates took before CU.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 01:07:59 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And people wonder why I post on Atlas.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 08:36:41 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2016, 08:55:52 AM by Eleven »

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 08:41:11 AM »

It's almost likely at this point that whichever side loses this election will then control the WH continuously from 2020-32 or longer.  Is that reassuring?

How on earth is that at all likely? A strong economy for the next 4 years would get the encumbent re-elected.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 08:45:21 AM »

Clinton is still leading in most polls and in most of the crucial swing states, is she not?

The polls are still reacting to pneumonia-gate. Next week they'll be reacting to conflicts of interest, birtherism, "gas chambers" and tax returns. Then it'll be time for the first debate, and they'll react to that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies