Someone reassure me
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:44:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Someone reassure me
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Someone reassure me  (Read 4305 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2016, 06:14:44 PM »

I've never quite understood the 'omg if we elect Trump it'll be so embarrassing' line of thought. I mean, consider the facts and the countries. Russia - ruled over by illiberal strongman Putin; China - a dictatorship; India - a country whose current Prime Minister is a Hindu Nationalist; Japan - has a cabinet composed primarily of historical revisionists often ill at ease with the idea that Japan committed any war crimes in World War II at all. Look at Europe, where in many countries the parties of the moderate middle are headlong decline/retreat - an FPO candidate stands a good chance of becoming the next Austrian President and Marine Le Pen is pretty much guaranteed a place in the second round of next years French Presidential Election, whilst hard right parties in the Netherlands, Sweden and Germany continue to gain considerable ground.

Really and truly, is Trump that embarrassing a leader in this context?

Yes. Simple as that.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2016, 06:19:51 PM »

I've never quite understood the 'omg if we elect Trump it'll be so embarrassing' line of thought. I mean, consider the facts and the countries. Russia - ruled over by illiberal strongman Putin; China - a dictatorship; India - a country whose current Prime Minister is a Hindu Nationalist; Japan - has a cabinet composed primarily of historical revisionists often ill at ease with the idea that Japan committed any war crimes in World War II at all. Look at Europe, where in many countries the parties of the moderate middle are headlong decline/retreat - an FPO candidate stands a good chance of becoming the next Austrian President and Marine Le Pen is pretty much guaranteed a place in the second round of next years French Presidential Election, whilst hard right parties in the Netherlands, Sweden and Germany continue to gain considerable ground.

Trump has made more "gaffes" then all of them combined, though Grin

Besided Marine Le Pen's father Roll Eyes
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2016, 06:24:36 PM »

I really like bipolar reactions of certain people. One second we have "blue firewall will hold no matter what, Hillary can't lose". The next we have "omg this is over".
I'm an eternal fatalist. If I don't have a gun pointed at my head and a bottle of alcohol in the other, something's wrong with me.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2016, 06:31:09 PM »

I guess there's a good reason why our country is so prosperous and prominent compared with all those others. So why start now embracing a lunatic for President and lower our status in the world?

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2016, 06:32:40 PM »

Well, I suppose he could win NH.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2016, 06:36:14 PM »

I guess there's a good reason why our country is so prosperous and prominent compared with all those others. So why start now embracing a lunatic for President and lower our status in the world?

Your country is more prominent than any of those others because you have more nuclear missiles and better armed forces than they do, as well as the legacy of the US interfering in the affairs of other nations, to rearrange them to US benefit, for a very long time. It has nothing to do with 'values' or some silly horsesh**t like that.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2016, 06:47:23 PM »

Were you sarcastic? Huh

There are practically no poors in Sweden, "free" (we have high taxes) education and healthcare system, gender equality, very high social mobility, much safer etc etc etc. Trump would never get >10% with his rhetoric (but he likely would be much more softer though). In poor divided USA though it works pretty well...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2016, 06:48:04 PM »

Yes. Simple as that.
Do we really want this to be our future?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2016, 07:01:24 PM »

Yes. Simple as that.
Do we really want this to be our future?
I do Smiley
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2016, 07:02:23 PM »

Everyone you named there is a statesman. Trump is a reality tv show host.

A proper analogy would be to Dutere in the Philippines, who is an international embarrassment.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »

A proper analogy would be to Dutere in the Philippines, who is an international embarrassment.
Philippine Donald Trump, son of the bitch! (Sorry, Obama).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2016, 07:06:50 PM »

Being a statesman doesn't really mean anything though. Stalin was a statesman.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »

Being a statesman doesn't really mean anything though. Stalin was a statesman.

Trump 2016: At Least He's Not Stalin
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2016, 08:30:55 PM »

A) that list of deplorables, even over stated as it is for Japan, is embarrassing.

b) Even in that context, yes, Trump goes far beyond embarrassing.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »

Your country is more prominent than any of those others because you have more nuclear missiles and better armed forces than they do, as well as the legacy of the US interfering in the affairs of other nations, to rearrange them to US benefit, for a very long time. It has nothing to do with 'values' or some silly horsesh**t like that.

You probably don't want to hear my answer to that, but chalk that up to total testosterone leadership for as long as our country has existed. That's how males think and act, and that's what's important to them.

In my view, that's one of the reasons we need to get a female in as President, to balance out all that over-the-top masculine aggressive behavior. I mean, it's good for pioneering a new country, but when it takes that spirit and makes it an aim to interfere with other countries, then there's a problem.

In spite of that, our country has a lot going for it, which makes it a great place to live. And that's no horsesh**t. 

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2016, 08:41:28 PM »

In spite of that, our country has a lot going for it, which makes it a great place to live. And that's no horsesh**t. 

I agree with everything but this. If this country had anything going for it, and was even a halfway decent country, we would not have Trump as the nominee of any party. The fact that he is brings me nothing but shame and doubt that we deserve to be independent in the first place. Maybe Canada could clean things up, but that's unfortunately not an option.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2016, 09:35:03 PM »

You probably don't want to hear my answer to that, but chalk that up to total testosterone leadership for as long as our country has existed. That's how males think and act, and that's what's important to them.

In my view, that's one of the reasons we need to get a female in as President, to balance out all that over-the-top masculine aggressive behavior. I mean, it's good for pioneering a new country, but when it takes that spirit and makes it an aim to interfere with other countries, then there's a problem.

When I was a young neo-hippie protesting the Vietnam War, I believed that a female President would be more likely to be dovish, to not be warmongering, etc.  Then, over the years, I saw Jeanne Kirkpatrick, Sarah Palin, and Condi Rice and my views changed. 

This year, I watched Carly Fiorina present as one of the most over-the-top warmongers ever to run for President of either gender.  I'd give Donald Trump 3 sets of nuclear buttons before I'd give Carly a tour of the Pentagon.   

Hillary?  She'd start a war to reverse sagging poll numbers.  She's that kind of person.  She really is. 
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2016, 11:24:41 PM »

What's next for the Clinton camp? What are we going to do to stop this nosedive?

Appearing on a stage next to Trump three times in a row will more than do the trick.
Are you joking?  Ask Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz...
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2016, 11:54:09 PM »

In the unfortunate event that he wins (and serves), ask this again after 365 days of "President TrumpMiller".

(And pray that "embarrassing" is the worst thing to be said about him at that point.)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2016, 12:49:34 AM »

What's next for the Clinton camp? What are we going to do to stop this nosedive?

Appearing on a stage next to Trump three times in a row will more than do the trick.
Are you joking?  Ask Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz...

You do realize a-primary turnout is usually about 20% of GE turnout, and b-half of the people in the primary didn't cast a ballot with any of the above on it, so you can't use one to predict the other. And the GE does not feature more than two actual competitive candidate.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »

I just don't get why this is happening-to go from rolling up 350 electoral votes to barely getting past 270 in a month just doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure 1980 was the last time a debate had any influence on the outcome of the election. Is the debate really what Hillary can hang her hat on, or are we totally f***ed yet?
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2016, 02:29:54 PM »

I just don't get why this is happening-to go from rolling up 350 electoral votes to barely getting past 270 in a month just doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure 1980 was the last time a debate had any influence on the outcome of the election. Is the debate really what Hillary can hang her hat on, or are we totally f***ed yet?

I don't know either, maybe a green avatar can explain it to us. I don't think we're f***ed, necessarily, but this race is very close. There's no sugarcoating it right now. I hope things are starting to trend back Hillary's way but it's far from conclusive at this point.

As far as the debates go, I don't know. These things are all about optics, and imagery, and non rational things. I think Hillary should be a better debater by quite a bit, but I wouldn't bet my house on it (if I had one). 
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2016, 02:31:15 PM »

What's next?

Rip Trump a new a-hole during the debate.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »

Hillary can lose ME-02, OH, FL, NC, IA and NV and still win as long as she wins the other "swing" states of NH, VA and CO. It will take a lot for her to lose.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »

I just don't get why this is happening-to go from rolling up 350 electoral votes to barely getting past 270 in a month just doesn't make any sense.

Because those 350 EVs were during the post-convention bounce, and the 270 is probably closer to where things actually are. Trump self-destructed during August, so the bounce lasted longer than it normally would.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies