WV: Returning Family Finds Their Dog Gutted and Butchered
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:43:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  WV: Returning Family Finds Their Dog Gutted and Butchered
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WV: Returning Family Finds Their Dog Gutted and Butchered  (Read 1641 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2016, 08:26:48 AM »

What sick  would do this?

Family finds dog gutted, butchered, and hanging by neck from front gate of home

BY MICHELLE MANZIONE, ABC7 NEWS/WJLA WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14TH 2016

WASHINGTON (WJLA) -
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:09:53 AM »

I would rather read 100 stories about Donald Trump's masturbating routine than ever read one story like this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 12:00:28 PM »

Well that is sick.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:58:39 PM »

This is so bizarre and ghoulish, that only Joe Machin could pull it off.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 01:36:49 PM »

Wow.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 11:00:14 PM »

In my view, people who do things like this should be executed.  They are worthless subhumans.  We need harsh penalties for stuff like this.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 01:16:33 PM »

Trying to keep my emotions in check...not working.....

JFKOWPEYR&W#$(YRO@$ HJCIUOHTWIFUNPY$JOI#F
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »

Words can't describe how sickening this is. Some people are just beyond vile.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 03:36:37 PM »

Can we just gut the guy who did this?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 10:07:55 PM »

I've heard nothing new since this story first aired, so it is safe to say the creature who did this is still at large. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 12:00:59 AM »

In my view, people who do things like this should be executed.  They are worthless subhumans.  We need harsh penalties for stuff like this.

> hear story about guy who did something barbaric
> want to do something even more barbaric in reaction
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 12:15:37 AM »

If it rids the world of trash and brings closure, I have no problem with it.  You can't rehabilitate these vermin.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 06:37:45 AM »

This boils my blood.

Whoever did this needs to die in the most painful way imaginable.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 07:28:18 AM »

Somehow, I agree with you.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 09:03:29 AM »

You're God damn right.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 02:47:05 PM »

At this point, I'm more disgusted by the reactions to this thread than I was at the news itself.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 07:04:44 PM »

At this point, I'm more disgusted by the reactions to this thread than I was at the news itself.

This is an ABSURD thing to say, no matter what highly-thought-out, unbudging "moral" compass you think makes you above the outrage to this story.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 07:22:47 PM »

This is an ABSURD thing to say, no matter what highly-thought-out, unbudging "moral" compass you think makes you above the outrage to this story.

It's not even a "moral compass" matter. Widespread disgusting behavior bothers me more than disgusting behavior that will be universally condemned.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 12:54:48 AM »

I don't think he's arguing that outrage and moral repulsion are unreasonable reactions here.  I think he's arguing that sadism is a troubling, unhealthy way of manifesting outrage and moral repulsion.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 07:16:58 AM »

This guy could be a future serial killer.

Highly disturbing that anyone would do this to an animal.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »

I don't think he's arguing that outrage and moral repulsion are unreasonable reactions here.  I think he's arguing that sadism is a troubling, unhealthy way of manifesting outrage and moral repulsion.

I guess there are points here where we just simply would disagree.  Sadism??  The dictionary definition says "the tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from inflicting pain, suffering or humiliation on others (in general use: deliberate cruelty)."  Could you get that definition to describe the responses in this thread?  I suppose.  However, I'd argue that definition strongly hints at enjoying the pain of innocents, and society deciding someone has shown such an utter disregard for life that the person no longer deserves such a fundamental gift as human existence because of what he or she has done isn't exactly "sadism."  I'm not an avid death penalty proponent and certainly have my doubts about its effectiveness, but I can't stand arguments that originate from even a shred of sympathy for the offender/judging of those who are outraged by the crime.

This was a monstrous act with deliberate cruelty upward a defenseless, totally innocent creature, a creature that holds immense sentimental value for the family it was a part of, no doubt.  Someone capable of this should be off the streets ASAP (jail, of course), but if something were to "happen" to him or her in the meantime, would I feel bad?  Nope, and if that makes me a sadist, whatever!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 10:12:37 AM »

A disturbing number of people are very cruel to animals.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 12:59:01 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2016, 04:16:59 AM by Alcon »

I guess there are points here where we just simply would disagree.  Sadism??  The dictionary definition says "the tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from inflicting pain, suffering or humiliation on others (in general use: deliberate cruelty)."  Could you get that definition to describe the responses in this thread?  I suppose.  However, I'd argue that definition strongly hints at enjoying the pain of innocents, and society deciding someone has shown such an utter disregard for life that the person no longer deserves such a fundamental gift as human existence because of what he or she has done isn't exactly "sadism."  I'm not an avid death penalty proponent and certainly have my doubts about its effectiveness, but I can't stand arguments that originate from even a shred of sympathy for the offender/judging of those who are outraged by the crime.

I don't think the definition of sadism hints at inflicting pain on innocents.  I think it's all about enjoying inflicting pain.  And while this may not be pain inflicted on innocents, it's unnecessary pain not merely intended to restrain or deter.  It's done because it's either pleasurably cathartic, which is absolutely sadistic, or because "they deserve it," which we can discuss separately, but which I basically think is incoherent feeling-logic we have for evolutionary purposes.

I don't think either are particularly good things, and definitely shouldn't be celebrated like they often are.

This was a monstrous act with deliberate cruelty upward a defenseless, totally innocent creature, a creature that holds immense sentimental value for the family it was a part of, no doubt.  Someone capable of this should be off the streets ASAP (jail, of course), but if something were to "happen" to him or her in the meantime, would I feel bad?  Nope, and if that makes me a sadist, whatever!

Not what I'm saying, and I doubt it's what anyone is saying.  I imagine that the person in question is a psychopath.  In most cases, I think a binary approach to empathy is dumb.  Of all the groups I think it makes sense to have a binary approach to empathy, it's probably psychopaths.  But there is a difference between not feeling much empathy for suffering, and thinking it's morally laudable to inflict that suffering for no concrete purpose.

I think Antonio may be arguing that socially-acceptable forms of sadism, shaming, moralistic cruelty, etc., are more troubling -- mostly because they're socially acceptable, not because they're more screwed up than psychopathy.  There's some validity to that argument.

That's not bleeding-heart -- that's a recognition that we evolved the ready capacity to be cruel moralists, and that sometimes manifests in screwed up ways.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2016, 05:21:56 AM »

This guy could be a future serial killer.

Highly disturbing that anyone would do this to an animal.

I agree. Even if your first point was irrelevant, I think the penalties for crimes like this should be far more severe than they are. I don't see how a crime like this could possibly be committed by someone that is not psychotic or otherwise mentally disturbed. I tend to avoid topic and news stories like these because they get under my skin in a way it is hard to describe. Part of me believes that their wanton cruelty and disrespect for life should result in execution, but I do not believe in the death penalty. If I did support capital punishment, I think a crime like this should warrant its use. As far as appropriate penalty in our current justice system, I think a crime like this should at least warrant a penalty on par with rape (upwards of life without parole). I have no sympathy or mercy for someone that commits a crime like this.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 09:31:51 AM »

Actually, I find it quite appropriate, not barbaric. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies