Is driving a right or a privilege? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:20:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is driving a right or a privilege? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
right

privilege

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Is driving a right or a privilege?  (Read 4621 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: June 29, 2005, 02:56:08 AM »

Write-in: a crime. Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 10:14:05 AM »

Its a privilege. I shudder when I think of a day 20 years from now when millions of baby boomers become awful drivers when they hit their seventies, making driving in this country a nightmare.

You would like my law then.  I would make it manditory for all drivers (no matter what their age) to retake their written and driving tests before renewing their drivers license.  Those that do not pass those two cannot receive their license.  Most of your old drivers would then lose their privilege to drive, and some of these college kids would too.  Smiley
How often do you have to renew your drivers' license in America?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 10:51:08 AM »

Its a privilege. I shudder when I think of a day 20 years from now when millions of baby boomers become awful drivers when they hit their seventies, making driving in this country a nightmare.

You would like my law then.  I would make it manditory for all drivers (no matter what their age) to retake their written and driving tests before renewing their drivers license.  Those that do not pass those two cannot receive their license.  Most of your old drivers would then lose their privilege to drive, and some of these college kids would too.  Smiley

Nobody would like that law - it would require spending time in the DMV.

To answer Lewis, four years, at least in my state.
Wow. Retesting every four years sounds excessive (not to mention expensive) to me. Although I'd approve of it for the elderly, say over 75.

My grandfather, who's 80 years old, showing slight signs of dementia, and lives in Greece, isn't driving anymore. This is because he was told by his neighbors that you, in Greece, need to take a test again every five years after you turn 80.
The reason they told him that lie is because they wanted to stop him from driving while intoxicated. Kiki
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 11:14:22 AM »

Around here, it should be considered a right, because it is often the only realistic method of transportation. There are too many hills to ride a bike, most stores are 15 miles out of town, and the bus system is sh**tty. Thus, it is a natural right - but one that can be revoked from those who abuse it.
There is no such thing as too many hills to ride a bike.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 12:36:21 PM »

There is no such thing as too many hills to ride a bike.

Around here there is.
I've cycled in some pretty bad terrain for that. Takes some getting used to the first week, but no hill is unscalable.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Er...that's a valid concern. Sad
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies