Is driving a right or a privilege? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:16:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is driving a right or a privilege? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
right

privilege

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Is driving a right or a privilege?  (Read 4617 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: June 29, 2005, 08:10:41 PM »

It's a privilege, because it requires (in theory at least) a certain level of competence, as well as a certain standard of behavior.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 08:27:09 PM »

privilege, some people should not get an license or have it taken away like my brother who has 12 unpaid tickets, no insurance and no registration for his car, also he will be driving with an expired license in like 7 months because he refuses to pay something like $15-20 dollars for an new one.

He sounds like a great driver.  Someone with that record needs to do a stint in jail.  There are too many stories about people who drive dangerously, ignore the tickets that they get, and end up killing somebody.  Giving someone a ticket serves no purpose if they never actually pay the fine, and if they ignore the license suspension that results from failure to pay the fine.

I'm not an angel behind the wheel.  I have a heavy foot, within reason, but when I get nailed, I take the punishment.  And I make sure to keep my offenses to the level where a fine is the only punishment.  I don't want to be one of those guys cleaning up the sides of the highway on the weekends as compulsory community service.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 08:49:49 PM »

privilege, some people should not get an license or have it taken away like my brother who has 12 unpaid tickets, no insurance and no registration for his car, also he will be driving with an expired license in like 7 months because he refuses to pay something like $15-20 dollars for an new one.

He sounds like a great driver.  Someone with that record needs to do a stint in jail.  There are too many stories about people who drive dangerously, ignore the tickets that they get, and end up killing somebody.  Giving someone a ticket serves no purpose if they never actually pay the fine, and if they ignore the license suspension that results from failure to pay the fine.

I'm not an angel behind the wheel.  I have a heavy foot, within reason, but when I get nailed, I take the punishment.  And I make sure to keep my offenses to the level where a fine is the only punishment.  I don't want to be one of those guys cleaning up the sides of the highway on the weekends as compulsory community service.

yeah he's rather arrongant and thinks he knows everything and has a problem with the law. He believes he shouldn't have to follow laws he doesn't like, like speed limits, he once refused to take a ticket from the cop.

I enjoy breaking rules too, but I keep it low-level and don't endanger other people.  His license must be suspended with all those unpaid tickets.  Why hasn't he gotten hauled to the clink for driving with a suspended license?  And he should have gotten arrested for refusing to accept a ticket from a cop.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 08:09:44 PM »

Man, you people's bus systems do suck. Tongue
The bus system in San Francisco isn't too bad - it's better than having to drive. The bus system in my metropolis is rather mediocre but workable nonetheless (as evidenced by Alcon and I getting lost and then getting found somehow, last summer). We're going to try out the Toronto bus system next month, so hopefully Canadian bus lines are better than Californian ones. Tongue

The streetcars are the most fun to ride, but they look pretty dangerous, with people dangling off them as they have cars going by on either side.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies