Is driving a right or a privilege? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:18:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is driving a right or a privilege? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
right

privilege

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Is driving a right or a privilege?  (Read 4645 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: June 28, 2005, 09:38:30 PM »

Privilege.  If you're able and competent, you can drive.  If you aren't either of those two, you can't.  This would be awfully restrictive if driving were a right, but given that nobody seems to have a problem with these restrictions, it's pretty obvious that pretty much everyone considers it a privilege - just one that doesn't have a lot of prerequisites.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 09:40:53 PM »

Depends on the situation. If you pay taxes for roads, you have the right to use them, but I mean in a practical, realistic way.

Paying taxes for something does not immediately mean you have a right to use it.  Your taxes go into the military, but that doesn't mean that every citizen gets his own squad of soldiers that he or she can order around.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 06:51:34 PM »

I think it's a right, but not a natural one - meaning you have to earn it, and it can be taken away if you abuse it.

That means it's a privilege John.  If someone can take it away, then it's not truly a right.

Well, everything in the world can be taken away from you in some form, so using that criteria, nobody has any rights.

Personally, I consider a "right" to be something that the vast majority of people agree should never be taken away.  Given that hardly anyone argues with taking away the ability to drive from someone who's absolutely incompetent at driving, I therefore don't consider driving a right.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 06:33:49 PM »

Man, you people's bus systems do suck. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies