Obama cripples AIPAC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:25:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama cripples AIPAC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Obama cripples AIPAC  (Read 3797 times)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »

Why is the Palestinian leadership in the west bank never pressured to have elections? Yea, I know they are planned to happen soon...but guess what? It's been well over a decade and because of the corrupt, U.N.-endorsed mess known as the PA, it is likely that Hamas will win the elections, if they even happen.

So, we either have to work with corrupt dictators like Mahmoud Abbas or terrorists who seem to have popular support. Great "partners for Israel."

The fact that Hamas would likely win the elections is no doubt the biggest reason why there is little pressure for elections.

As for the Palestinians someday being partners, perhaps when Israeli policy changes to act as if that they someday will be partners rather than modern-day Gibeonites, then they someday will be partners.  Shutting them up into arbitrary Bantustans of Israel's choosing isn't exactly conducive to long term peace. For now Israel has the luxury of military and economic superiority over its Arab neighbors, but it acts as if those conditions will always apply, and they won't.

The 90's were a wasted opportunity and both sides squandered the chance that was available then. I don't see any reasonable prospect of peace in this generation, but Israeli policy is precluding any chance of peace in the next generation as well. That's not entirely unreasonable if one thinks peace never has chance of breaking out, but it does mean that in the long term Israel is guaranteed to doom.

You can think Israel is stalling the process, that's a legitimate position to have, even though I strongly disagree with that view. However, it is pure hypocrisy to think that Israel is behind a majority, or all, of the stalling the process. The Palestinians have consistently stalled the process and only engage in it when they want to win over international funding. The Palestinian leadership is arguably the most corrupt leadership on the entire planet. Abbas has stolen so much money that its insane. Only his mentor Arafat stole more than he did.

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2016, 10:47:19 PM »

I didn't say Israel was worse in terms of democracy, terrorism, etc. than any of those Middle Eastern countries you mentioned, but there have been many times where Israel has responded to conflicts irresponsibly. For example, when those Isreali teenagers were kidnapped, the Isreali government immediately blamed Hamas without producing concrete evidence. Pretty soon a fundamentalist Jew did the exact same thing to a Palestinian teenager. I'd prefer we didn't live in a world where Hammurabi's code ruled supreme.

In regards to Gaza and West Bank, they have been set up the same way the Indian reservations were; moved from their motherland and put into a confined space. Except this time Muslims are much more equipped to fight back. I obviously despise Hamas and other Islamic extremist groups but it seems only natural when people are moved from where there ancestors were from.

And I'm glad you support at 2-state solution, and I mostly agree that lazy diplomacy is a barrier to that ever happening, but Israel can't come to the table demanding Palestinians stay in their little box.

My biggest piece of evidence of AIPAC's influence on government is the correlation between the amount of money a congressman receives from them and their voting record on pro-Israel bills. I happen to think AIPAC isn't aligned with the belief of most Jews, and that's part of why they've failed recently. They are too far to the right of American Jews who want some form of peace settlement. They probably also didn't like Netanyahu's antics a while back in congress.

I'll respond with the AIPAC part again because I just don't agree with anything you have said. AIPAC is the center of the American Zionist movement. It doesn't take positions on the settlements, it doesn't cheer on the Israeli far-right, and it most certainly does not oppose peace. AIPAC has stated many times that it supports a two-state solution.

Give me evidence that AIPAC donates money to anyone in congress, because they do not. AIPAC does not directly fund any candidate of any party. Period. Yes, you can show me that their board members, or donors donate money to candidates via PACs... but none of these people use AIPAC's name to donate money and none of these people represent AIPAC when they donate money.

The Pro-Israel sector, like all lobbying sectors, is very diverse and is made of many personalities. Many of these personalities often put their name with AIPAC because it is the most prominent organization for these type of issues. That does not mean, all of a sudden, that they are in some sort of monolithic agreement with all of the organization's policies and the same is very much true in the vice versa.

Also, AIPAC does indeed represent the views of many American Jews. I won't say they represent all Jews, because they don't. There are dozens and dozens of Pro-Israel groups in this country (again, just like with every lobbying sector) and each of these groups have their own agendas and views.

I've been involved in activism with a lot of these groups. I've seen firsthand the divergence of opinions on Israel-based issues among these groups, but ultimately most American Jews lean somewhat hawkishly on Israel issues.

That being said, AIPAC's problem is one similar to many groups of its size (NRA, Human Rights Campaign, AARP, NARAL and National Right to Life etc..etc..etc..): They have sat on the top of the hill for so long that they have gotten complacent and its created a weird situation where the issue they lobby on has gotten lost in the culture of D.C. politics.

In response to your Hammurabi's code analogy: 1. Hamas DID kidnap those teenagers (http://www.npr.org/2014/08/22/342318367/hamas-finally-admits-to-kidnapping-and-killing-israeli-teens) and 2. One example of far-right bigotry is now a trend?

The difference with these two situations is that Israel NEVER tells its population to go vigilante and hunt down terrorists. Hamas and the PA, on the other hand, do the exact opposite.

Now, moving onto the discussion about the peace process, I agree, as so most Zionists, that Israel can't expect to win every battle at the negotiating table, but Israel has no obligation to do anything until the Palestinian Authority gets its crap together. The failure of the 2000 peace accords is completely on the Palestinian leadership. Ehud Barak made massive concessions and he still got rejected.

Israel will have to give up a lot of settlements for peace in a long-term peace deal, but before that will ever happen...the PA needs to stop funding terrorism, it needs to stop naming streets after terrorists and it needs to clean itself of its corruption.

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2016, 10:54:08 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2016, 10:57:11 PM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

Also, I'm sure most of you think I'm a far-right crazy Zionist, but I'm closer to the political center of the Zionist movement. I am a Revisionist Zionist (on the right), but I'm not far-right.

I understand, just like David Ben-Gurion did, why many Arabs do not like Israel. But we have a right to have a country in this area of the world. It is our historic home. That being said, I do not deny that many Arabs and Palestinians consider this area home as well.

That is why I, like 90% of American Jews, support a two-state solution. But people forget that the creation, or lack of creation, of another Arab state was not just decided by Zionists. Egypt and Jordan, for 20+ years sat on Gaza and the West Bank. They put these people in camps and just left them there while still claiming the territory.

Israel's victory in 1967 opened up a pandora's box, but not one that can be blamed just on Israel. Israel offered to give Gaza and most of the West Bank up in Khartorum, but were rejected. Conventional western ideology and "wisdom" will not solve this problem.

Israeli-Arab regional cooperation will be the only thing that will ever make peace in this region. Not American influence, not European influence, etc... Egypt has been a good mediating partner between Israel and the Palestinians, but lately it has moved towards Israel because Hamas and the PA decided it'd be a "good idea" to piss them off. Jordan sits on the other side, usually taking the Palestinian side, to avoid creating instability among their majority palestinian population.

The Saudis are now, apparently, willing to serve this type of role, maybe.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2016, 10:58:56 PM »

Hezbollah in Qatar Huh
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2016, 11:01:29 PM »

I think you may have misread one of my posts (or I made a spacing error somewhere). I cited Qatar and Hezbollah as separate examples of countries being run by terrorist groups.

My opinion with Qatar is that it funds so many terrorist groups that it will eventually lose control over itself, thus why I put in that category.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2016, 11:06:47 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2016, 11:09:31 PM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

Here's an article I found the other day that elaborates more on my opinions to Qatar.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/saudi-arabia-terrorism-funding-214241 (It's about Saudi Arabia, but I'll make the connection in a second)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, the Saudis started funding terrorist groups to advance their national interests. It is my opinion that Qatar is following the same strategy. However, as we all know, the Saudis are now being bitten in their behinds. The strategy unraveled on them and they are dealing w/ serious problems because of it.

I think Qatar, who is very rich, but very small in military might, will struggle with this problem in a way shorter timespan than the Saudis and that it could create a situation like the one w/ Lebanon and Hezbollah.

Hope I cleared that up, Gass.

EDIT: http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-comparison-detail.asp?form=form&country1=Saudi-Arabia&country2=Qatar&Submit=Compare+Countries military differentials between KSA and Qatar for anyone interested.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2016, 11:33:13 PM »

Israeli-Arab regional cooperation will be the only thing that will ever make peace in this region.

Here's an area we're in agreement on.  What we appear to largely disagree over is what Israel should be doing until the Arabs become interested in cooperation and whether Israel could do anything to make Arab cooperation more likely.  My own advice is largely over policies Israel has and is doing that I think are counter-productive and should cease rather than peace initiatives it could try.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2016, 11:53:56 PM »

Israeli-Arab regional cooperation will be the only thing that will ever make peace in this region.

Here's an area we're in agreement on.  What we appear to largely disagree over is what Israel should be doing until the Arabs become interested in cooperation and whether Israel could do anything to make Arab cooperation more likely.  My own advice is largely over policies Israel has and is doing that I think are counter-productive and should cease rather than peace initiatives it could try.

and people say neocons like me are completely unreasonable Cheesy Wink

I'm hopeful Saudi Arabia will become a big partner for Israel in cooperation soon. It's already been happening on a few levels. Israel received a Saudi delegation in July and Israeli diplomats have been in and out of contact with KSA.

I think the weariness over Iran and its problematic traits has been the biggest factor in the thawing of the icy past b/w the two countries, but the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been a big topic of discussion.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2016, 12:17:51 AM »

I think 'Israel derangement syndrome' is a much more appropriate term than 'anti-Semitism' for a lot of these sentiments. And, yes, there is a lot of Israel derangement syndrome in this thread.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2016, 12:20:36 AM »

I think 'Israel derangement syndrome' is a much more appropriate term than 'anti-Semitism' for a lot of these sentiments. And, yes, there is a lot of Israel derangement syndrome in this thread.

Yup. Agreed 100% could not have said it better myself.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2016, 07:58:54 AM »

(HINT: the countries killing their own people; not the countries trying to stop onslaught).

Again:

Israel is notorious for killing it's own people. Members of the Palestinian minority are slaughtered by the state every day, and 7/10 of the victims of the Israeli state's ethnic cleansing operation are civilians. I don't see how someone could deny that Israel's human rights record is among the worst of any major country.

And for the record: it's not that we're more frustrated with the atrocities by Israel than Iran because the atrocities committed by the former are worse. The reason that we're more frustrated with Israel's crimes against humanity than Iran's, is because it hits closer to home: most of the people who represent us rightfully call out Iran for it's human rights abuses; on the other hand, both parties bend over backwards to support Israel's barbaric policies, and so much as the slightest criticism of Israel gets one branded as an "anti-Semite".
Comments like this is why people want to know why Jews vote leftist. Yes, Israel has done some bad things, but don't destroy them off the face of the Earth like Hamas wants. It makes it seem like if Hamas has some alliance with the Left.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2016, 08:12:34 AM »

I would agree, although sentiments like "the world would be a better place if we just nuked the area" are definitely anti-semitic considering what that would entail.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2016, 08:15:50 AM »

(HINT: the countries killing their own people; not the countries trying to stop onslaught).

Again:

Israel is notorious for killing it's own people. Members of the Palestinian minority are slaughtered by the state every day, and 7/10 of the victims of the Israeli state's ethnic cleansing operation are civilians. I don't see how someone could deny that Israel's human rights record is among the worst of any major country.

And for the record: it's not that we're more frustrated with the atrocities by Israel than Iran because the atrocities committed by the former are worse. The reason that we're more frustrated with Israel's crimes against humanity than Iran's, is because it hits closer to home: most of the people who represent us rightfully call out Iran for it's human rights abuses; on the other hand, both parties bend over backwards to support Israel's barbaric policies, and so much as the slightest criticism of Israel gets one branded as an "anti-Semite".
By the way, why are you so in love with Palestine? What special qualities do they possess?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2016, 08:25:41 AM »

I would agree, although sentiments like "the world would be a better place if we just nuked the area" are definitely anti-semitic considering what that would entail.
True. I'm neutral on the Israel/Palestinian issue, they'll have to come to an agreement soon, but Jewish Americans look foolish voting for the Democratic Party constantly when they have some anti Semites in the leftist movement.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2016, 08:55:36 AM »

True. I'm neutral on the Israel/Palestinian issue, they'll have to come to an agreement soon, but Jewish Americans look foolish voting for the Democratic Party constantly when they have some anti Semites in the leftist movement.

Because there's no anti-semitism on the right?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »

There's some forms of anti-Semitism on the right, but it's creeping up on the left. I don't agree with Israel on everything. I'm centrist.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »

I am also centrist on Israel/Palestine. As in we shouldn't be helping either side and also recognize the independence of both countries. But most Democratic politicians still want to side with Israel and not recognize Palestine even if their support for Israel is weaker than in the past.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2016, 08:39:11 PM »

I'm neutral on the Israel/Palestinian issue, they'll have to come to an agreement soon

Why?  The current situation, while far from ideal, is at least tolerable for the Israelis, and the Palestinians aren't likely to accept becoming Gibeonites (see Joshua 7) anytime soon, which is essentially all that current Israeli policy is willing to let them be.  Frankly, I don't see a solution ever happening unless they can settle the question of Jerusalem and neither side trusts the other to even entertain in the remotest, most hidden corners of their hearts, a plan that the other would consider acceptable concerning Jerusalem.  Jerusalem has always been the camel in the needle's eye when it comes to a long term solution.  A generation ago they were at least willing to consider possible mutually acceptable plans for Jerusalem, and it will be at least a generation before that could happen again, and probably yet another after that before it could actually be implemented.  I'm old enough that I do not expect that the Israeli/Palestinian issue will be settled in my lifetime.  Maybe in the lifetime of some of the youngs on this forum, but not in mine.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »

Anti-semitism on the right has long been properly demonized. Anti-semitism on the left has a major political party in the UK (Corbyn, anyone?) and is considered acceptable on many college campuses.

Both are bad and need to be demonized, but leftist antisemitism is more of an issue, imo, at the current moment.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »

Anti-semitism on the right has long been properly demonized. Anti-semitism on the left has a major political party in the UK (Corbyn, anyone?) and is considered acceptable on many college campuses.

Both are bad and need to be demonized, but leftist antisemitism is more of an issue, imo, at the current moment.

Corbyn isn't an anti-semite, though. On the other hand, the Republican Presidential nominee posts sh*t like this on his personal Twitter account:

Clearly anti-semitism is more of a problem on the right.

] How many more MPs, activists and supporters have to engage in flat out death threats and slurs against Jews for people like you to see that Corbyn gives no craps about what is said to Jews?

FFS, a Labour MP who, I believe, was somewhat loyal to Corbyn, has been harassed routinely by his rabid supporters.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2016, 10:34:59 PM »

It's entirely possible that Corbyn isn't an anti-semite or doesn't consider himself one. But his associations and tolerance of them - including his own brother - clearly shows that he doesn't mind them much.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2016, 10:41:50 PM »

It's entirely possible that Corbyn isn't an anti-semite or doesn't consider himself one. But his associations and tolerance of them - including his own brother - clearly shows that he doesn't mind them much.

As Edmund Burke said: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Though, in this case, Corbyn is far from a good man.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2016, 10:56:46 PM »

As Edmund Burke said: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

What Edmund Burke actually said was "The only thing necessary for a quote to be falsely attributed is for it to be put in the mouths of someone who too few people actually read."
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2016, 10:59:03 PM »

What Edmund Burke actually said was "The only thing necessary for a quote to be falsely attributed is for it to be put in the mouths of someone who too few people actually read."

Whoops. Big brain fart on my part. Nonetheless, my point on Corbyn stands.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2016, 03:37:01 AM »

There is nothing worse than foreign lobbys, it's a poison that must be eviscerated.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies