Obama cripples AIPAC (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:28:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama cripples AIPAC (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama cripples AIPAC  (Read 3823 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« on: September 16, 2016, 03:57:12 PM »

The amount of influence AIPAC has is disturbing.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 09:14:55 PM »

Let me rephrase: It seems to bother leftists more when western or western-leaning nations engage in wars and conflicts when compared to rogue nations.

Leftists try and equate western actions to those of rogue nations. This is extremely problematic, to me, as it should be clear who is in the wrong in those situations (HINT: the countries killing their own people; not the countries trying to stop onslaught).

Doesn't Israel kill "their own people"? Are Palestinian civilians Israelis in your mind? Look, the illegal occupation is not sustainable without violence from the other side.

My biggest problem is that U.S. foreign policy can't be "support Israel no matter what or else it's an attack on Jews". Netanyahu and AIPAC shouldn't be able to control how we operate.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 10:29:53 PM »

I didn't say Israel was worse in terms of democracy, terrorism, etc. than any of those Middle Eastern countries you mentioned, but there have been many times where Israel has responded to conflicts irresponsibly. For example, when those Isreali teenagers were kidnapped, the Isreali government immediately blamed Hamas without producing concrete evidence. Pretty soon a fundamentalist Jew did the exact same thing to a Palestinian teenager. I'd prefer we didn't live in a world where Hammurabi's code ruled supreme.

In regards to Gaza and West Bank, they have been set up the same way the Indian reservations were; moved from their motherland and put into a confined space. Except this time Muslims are much more equipped to fight back. I obviously despise Hamas and other Islamic extremist groups but it seems only natural when people are moved from where there ancestors were from.

And I'm glad you support at 2-state solution, and I mostly agree that lazy diplomacy is a barrier to that ever happening, but Israel can't come to the table demanding Palestinians stay in their little box.

My biggest piece of evidence of AIPAC's influence on government is the correlation between the amount of money a congressman receives from them and their voting record on pro-Israel bills. I happen to think AIPAC isn't aligned with the belief of most Jews, and that's part of why they've failed recently. They are too far to the right of American Jews who want some form of peace settlement. They probably also didn't like Netanyahu's antics a while back in congress.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies