Obama cripples AIPAC (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:27:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama cripples AIPAC (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama cripples AIPAC  (Read 3842 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« on: September 16, 2016, 04:55:50 PM »

Not a surprise. He was always plotting his revenge ever since his attempt to break Israel months into taking office was foiled by his own party. Agreeing to this was likely Israel's desperate last attempt to prevent a far worse revenge at the UN, but I doubt it'll work. Israel is no doubt planning last-ditch diplomatic outreach to the UK and Russia if needed for those final weeks of Obama's tenure, but if they don't work, prepare for an extremely tense January for the entire ME.

This will likely be torn up on January 21st with the agreement of both sides, however.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:10:09 AM »

AIPAC and current government strategy is all about short-term gains without thinking of the future (but Bibi obviously doesn't care, he won't be in politics anymore when that happens).
Considering Israel faces literal existential threats, I think they can be forgiven for taking a short-term view on this matter.
Literal Existential threats?  You do realize this is 2016, not 1967 or 1973, don't you?  That isn't to say that Israel doesn't face some severe threats, but to say it faces an existential threat is definitely not being literal in what one is saying.

A nuclear Iran, or even a joint invasion by the Iran/Syria/Turkey axis, is definitely an existential threat for Israel.

For the entire ME, in fact.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 08:12:34 AM »

I think 'Israel derangement syndrome' is a much more appropriate term than 'anti-Semitism' for a lot of these sentiments. And, yes, there is a lot of Israel derangement syndrome in this thread.

I would agree, although sentiments like "the world would be a better place if we just nuked the area" are definitely anti-semitic considering what that would entail.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:34:59 PM »

It's entirely possible that Corbyn isn't an anti-semite or doesn't consider himself one. But his associations and tolerance of them - including his own brother - clearly shows that he doesn't mind them much.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies