Fastest growing areas of the US by partisan lean
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:01:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Fastest growing areas of the US by partisan lean
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fastest growing areas of the US by partisan lean  (Read 946 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:39:54 PM »

Consider this as a request/challenge for mapmakers if this information isn't already easily available.  For curiosity sake, I'm looking for a map that charts where population growth is most prevalent in each state and how partisan those growth areas are relative to the trend of the rest of the state.  (An obvious example being NOVA offsetting Republican trends and population decline in western VA.)  I'm particularly interested in how population shifts in Ohio and South Carolina might affect the political makeup of those states over time.

Thanks in advance. Smiley
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 04:04:39 PM »

My interactive map of population changes from 2010-2015 is here:
https://cinyc.carto.com/viz/7dda431c-220c-11e6-8b04-0ecd1babdde5/public_map

I think this is the version that treats annexation as population growth.  There is one error - Indianapolis shows no growth due to a technical issue.

There's no partisan data available, but you can probably eyeball it.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 11:56:07 PM »

Consider this as a request/challenge for mapmakers if this information isn't already easily available.  For curiosity sake, I'm looking for a map that charts where population growth is most prevalent in each state and how partisan those growth areas are relative to the trend of the rest of the state.  (An obvious example being NOVA offsetting Republican trends and population decline in western VA.)  I'm particularly interested in how population shifts in Ohio and South Carolina might affect the political makeup of those states over time.

To add on to the request, I'd love to see this for Southern California. Specifically Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 02:20:13 AM »

To add on to the request, I'd love to see this for Southern California. Specifically Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties

The problem with California is that it doesn't have many county subdivisions for which census reported 2015 estimate data.  Unincorporated San Bernadino County, for example, is huge, and either gains or loses population depending on how you treat recent annexations.

The map of percentage gain controlling for annexations is here.

A total population increase map (i.e. numerical, not percentage growth) is here.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 07:19:29 AM »

Nice maps, cinyc. Thanks!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 10:42:48 AM »

I originally posted the maps around Memorial Day in the city and town estimates thread here.  Note that I think it was unincorporated Riverside County, California, not San Bernadino, that had the big change from net gain to net loss depending on whether you use the 2010 Actual Census data or 2010 Population Estimates Base as your baseline.  There were remainders of other major counties with that issue, which I detailed in that post.

I also did a diary on RRHElections with maps showing some patterns in cities.  I can't find if I replicated that diary here, like I sometimes do.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 07:13:10 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies