Candidates and Religion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:33:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Candidates and Religion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Candidates and Religion  (Read 21701 times)
Deltabgjim

« on: December 26, 2003, 04:28:23 AM »

....and it is absolutely pathetic.

It's absolutely pathetic when Dean tries to use religion in his campaign. When Dubya went to Bob Jones University in 2000, it was brilliant. I see....
Deltabgjim

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 04:32:09 AM »

I'm intrigued that Dean is a congregationalist. That faith has a strong tradition in Georgia in particular. Many congregational churches (and Presbyterians, Episcopals and Methodists who are loosely associated to them) abound along the historic coast and in Atlanta. The Jewish influence should also play well in Atlanta and Savannah. A lot of Reformed Christians (Presby, Episcopal, Methodist, UCC, Lutheran, etc.) are getting turned off by the evangelical movement that GWB is so ga-ga over.
Deltabgjim

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 08:51:18 PM »

Jmfcst,

I am not a Christian, so I would like you to clarify something for me.  If you accept homosexuals, are you a bad christian?  I would like to hear your answer.

I wouldn't say it makes one a "bad" Christian.  They've simply allowed themselves to be deceived.   Not to mention that they are contradicting their own faith....if their faith is not defined by the bible, then what defines it?  Did they invent their own religion?

Taking a purely logical point of view, contradicting one's own faith is contradicting one's self.
As a Presbyterian, I know I am already condemned by many evangelicals to a fiery afterlife by the fact that I was baptized as an infant and have a woman pastor. Yes, having a woman as pastor, wearing clothing of mixed material, not keeping strict kosher, eating shellfish and pork, working on the Sabbath (ah, the life of an airline employee), not making animal sacrifices to the Almighty, and being gay are all against scripture and all apply to me. On the other hand, I try to love the Lord with all my heart, soul and strength; and to love my neighbor as myself. Those were the important things given to us.
A lot of mainstream Christians get tired of evangelicals saying they're "not really Christian". This patronizing, "are you saved?" approach to religion will ultimately turn off a lot of mainstream Protestants and Catholics to the Republican party. It's already started in the North and Midwest, and I wouldn't be surprised if that same feeling started working southward into the cities and coasts of the deep South.
Deltabgjim

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 08:55:56 PM »

I don't care what religion you are unless it changes your views on the issues.

I would agree with that. Still, someone who can be thinking and open-minded, while having a strong faith (like Tony Blair) would get my respect and admiration.
You mean also like Jimmy Carter?

ABSOLUTELY! The Atlanta Journal-Constitution did a very good piece about a year or two ago contrasting Carter's religion (he's a Baptist, but a member of a very liberal congregation in Atlanta) to Bush's (an odd hyperconservative Methodist). Carter's is a much more quiet, humble Christianity that seeks to walk the walk more than just buying books by James Dobson. Compare and contrast Habitat for Humanity with Faith-Based Initiatives.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies