Do you stand for the Pledge of Allegiance/National Anthem?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:40:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you stand for the Pledge of Allegiance/National Anthem?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

I have in the past, but will no longer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Do you stand for the Pledge of Allegiance/National Anthem?  (Read 4538 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2016, 11:43:35 AM »

http://video.genfb.com/1681819552144753
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2016, 12:09:58 PM »

LOL would Wulfric think wearing a band shirt to church is an offense to God?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2016, 12:48:36 PM »

Of course. It's part of showing basic respect for your country. I don't wear athletic clothing to church (insult to god), or shout obscenities at professors. Why would I fail to show basic respect for my country, which includes standing for the anthem and pledge?

How is wearing athletic clothing to church an "insult to god"?

At the rather fundamentalist church I go to during the school year, the pastor wore athletic shorts, a T-shirt, and some silly paper medal that his 1st-grade son made.  Granted, this was Father's Day and the only time I'd seen the pastor not wear a suit, but I never thought this was something that was a big deal at most churches.

At every church I've ever been in, from the Lutheran Church I went to preschool at, to the non-denominational church I go to at ISU, wearing athletic shorts would get you a lot of odd looks and you would definitely be under-dressing everyone else there. (The t-shirt would probably be fine unless it was clearly designed to work out in or was stained or sweaty. I wear non-collared stuff to church fairly regularly and so do other people.) Would you actually get kicked out? Probably not. But it's not like people would think of you as setting a good example.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »

I never wear shirts without collars outside the house, and I find church to be a great opportunity to wear madras bow ties, knit ties, cardigans, spectator shoes, and unstructured jackets that I don't normally wear to work.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »

Silly Christians, church is where you go to sport your Giants or Eagles jersey.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2016, 03:50:15 PM »

Yes, I recite the pledge and sometimes sing along to the National Anthem quietly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2016, 03:52:16 PM »

Yes, with pride.
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2016, 05:19:28 PM »

Yes.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2016, 07:21:07 PM »

Of course (normal, sane, patriotic.)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2016, 01:19:52 PM »

I never wear shirts without collars outside the house, and I find church to be a great opportunity to wear madras bow ties, knit ties, cardigans, spectator shoes, and unstructured jackets that I don't normally wear to work.

This is the best post you've made in months.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2016, 02:16:06 PM »

Of course. It's part of showing basic respect for your country. I don't wear athletic clothing to church (insult to god), or shout obscenities at professors. Why would I fail to show basic respect for my country, which includes standing for the anthem and pledge?

How is wearing athletic clothing to church an "insult to god"?

At the rather fundamentalist church I go to during the school year, the pastor wore athletic shorts, a T-shirt, and some silly paper medal that his 1st-grade son made.  Granted, this was Father's Day and the only time I'd seen the pastor not wear a suit, but I never thought this was something that was a big deal at most churches.

At every church I've ever been in, from the Lutheran Church I went to preschool at, to the non-denominational church I go to at ISU, wearing athletic shorts would get you a lot of odd looks and you would definitely be under-dressing everyone else there. (The t-shirt would probably be fine unless it was clearly designed to work out in or was stained or sweaty. I wear non-collared stuff to church fairly regularly and so do other people.) Would you actually get kicked out? Probably not. But it's not like people would think of you as setting a good example.

That's because Protestants are weird.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2016, 04:17:36 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2016, 04:24:30 PM by Jante's Law Revivalist »

I mean it might well be due to lack of competition, but still, ugh.

One of the best things about California is that I can come to class in t-shirt, shorts and sandals every day without anyone raising an eyebrow (the prof told me to wear shirts and regular pants when teaching section, but that's just because I look way too young so I have to find another way to project authority). I understand why non-BRTDish churches might require a more dignified attire, but Church should be the exception rather than the rule.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2016, 05:25:34 PM »

Typically, but I'm sure I could find reason not to.  Nationalism is, of course, ridiculously stupid.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »

Actually, this is Santander's best post in months.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2016, 05:32:13 PM »

One of the best things about California is that I can come to class in t-shirt, shorts and sandals every day without anyone raising an eyebrow (the prof told me to wear shirts and regular pants when teaching section, but that's just because I look way too young so I have to find another way to project authority). I understand why non-BRTDish churches might require a more dignified attire, but Church should be the exception rather than the rule.

People should wear their best clothes for church. If 'best' isn't necessarily that great, then that's absolutely okay, but anyone middle-class or above should dress essentially as Santander is suggesting. Of course churchgoers shouldn't judge one another for their attire (churchgoers shouldn't really be focusing on one another at all during most parts of a service) but people should make the choice for themselves to honor God by dressing up at least a little.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2016, 05:48:56 PM by Jante's Law Revivalist »

People should wear their best clothes for church. If 'best' isn't necessarily that great, then that's absolutely okay, but anyone middle-class or above should dress essentially as Santander is suggesting. Of course churchgoers shouldn't judge one another for their attire (churchgoers shouldn't really be focusing on one another at all during most parts of a service) but people should make the choice for themselves to honor God by dressing up at least a little.

I was mainly taking exception to the first part of the sentence, and, in the rest of the sentence, to the viewing of Church as an "opportunity" to dress up (as opposed to viewing dressing up as a duty inherent in Church attendance).

I am obviously not qualified to comment on what the proper attire for Church is or should be, and if I could I think I might agree with you. I do, however, want to dispute the idea that there's anything inherently disrespectful about dressing informally in most other spheres of social life.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2016, 06:04:39 PM »

I was mainly taking exception to the first part of the sentence, and, in the rest of the sentence, to the viewing of Church as an "opportunity" to dress up (as opposed to viewing dressing up as a duty inherent in Church attendance). I am obviously not qualified to comment on what the proper attire for Church is or should be.

I do, however, want to dispute the idea that there's anything inherently disrespectful about dressing informally in most other spheres of social life.
"Opportunity" might not have been the best word to use, but I do have a large collection of such clothes and since I usually wear more conventional shirts and ties to work, I often find that church is the only time I can wear clothes that fit my personal tastes. Of course, the first priority is dressing in a manner that represents my commitment to God.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2016, 06:09:21 PM »

Of course I do, but I also despise the right-wing political correctness that is being pushed on some by the same people who profess to hate safe-spaces and proper pronoun use.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2016, 06:23:26 PM »

I was mainly taking exception to the first part of the sentence, and, in the rest of the sentence, to the viewing of Church as an "opportunity" to dress up (as opposed to viewing dressing up as a duty inherent in Church attendance). I am obviously not qualified to comment on what the proper attire for Church is or should be.

I do, however, want to dispute the idea that there's anything inherently disrespectful about dressing informally in most other spheres of social life.
"Opportunity" might not have been the best word to use, but I do have a large collection of such clothes and since I usually wear more conventional shirts and ties to work, I often find that church is the only time I can wear clothes that fit my personal tastes. Of course, the first priority is dressing in a manner that represents my commitment to God.

Is your preferred clothing considered inappropriate at your workplace? If so, that sucks too. My stance is that there should be a wide latitude in dress choice for work and other non-ceremonial social gatherings.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2016, 06:36:46 PM »

Fill in synagogue where Nathan says church and this post articulates exactly how I think about it. And I'm not doing that often enough, so this is a good reminder to dress a bit more classy in shul. My fellow congregants don't necessarily have to see my gym gains.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2016, 09:03:53 PM »

Only time I usually come into contact with this is sporting events, but yeah absolutely.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2016, 10:25:35 PM »

Of course.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2016, 12:03:20 AM »

Uh by that logic since I make enough to buy at least one suit (especially since you can get one that isn't like an expensive Italian suit for under $100 at Kohl's) I should get one and wear that to church. Where if I did everyone would assume I was trying to be "ironic" or something. But even if this was just limited to the "nice" clothes I already own (which are basically just for job interviews and weddings)...what if I'm doing other stuff in the day? Like I've gone to a show right after church before, and I'm not going to stop and change afterwards. Or if I went to a movie or some sort of Ingress trip beforehand, etc.

And what's wrong with wearing Christian hardcore band shirts to church? Seems pretty appropriate to me.

Besides wouldn't outdressing the person preaching be a little odd? (Although I suppose I have done this before, as once the girl preaching was wearing a tank top and jeans that had pre-cut holes in them completely up and down both ways, I was at least wearing a T-shirt and jeans without holes. Also I never wear flip flops, due to believing that only women ever should and men should not, so there's that too since one of the pastors really likes them.)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2016, 11:39:36 AM »

Uh by that logic since I make enough to buy at least one suit (especially since you can get one that isn't like an expensive Italian suit for under $100 at Kohl's) I should get one and wear that to church. Where if I did everyone would assume I was trying to be "ironic" or something. But even if this was just limited to the "nice" clothes I already own (which are basically just for job interviews and weddings)...what if I'm doing other stuff in the day? Like I've gone to a show right after church before, and I'm not going to stop and change afterwards. Or if I went to a movie or some sort of Ingress trip beforehand, etc.

And what's wrong with wearing Christian hardcore band shirts to church? Seems pretty appropriate to me.

Besides wouldn't outdressing the person preaching be a little odd? (Although I suppose I have done this before, as once the girl preaching was wearing a tank top and jeans that had pre-cut holes in them completely up and down both ways, I was at least wearing a T-shirt and jeans without holes. Also I never wear flip flops, due to believing that only women ever should and men should not, so there's that too since one of the pastors really likes them.)

You know how I feel about the way your church does things in general, but, since you are going there, no, I suppose you shouldn't make yourself stand out excessively.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2016, 12:46:27 PM »

Should we tell BRTD that his church isn't actually a church or do we let the charade continue?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies