What will the first debate be like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:12:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What will the first debate be like?  (Read 855 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »

I hope that they talk about real issues instead of, for example, Hillary's email.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 07:25:55 PM »

A living nightmare.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 07:34:45 PM »

Based on the Lauer forum I wouldn't be surprised if the first question is about emails.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 07:38:59 PM »

The only prediction that I will hazard is that it will leave most of us feeling embarrassed for our country and afraid of our future.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 07:51:11 PM »

I don't think I'll watch. I'm just going to come here and read the comments, and look at clips in the news. I really don't want to waste my time because I feel like that's what I would be doing. Trump cheats and throws low blows and is frankly a joke. I've got better things to do with my time.

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »

I'm worried that it will be composed of either 1) grilling them on their respective scandals, or 2) Clinton and Trump shooting insults back and forth. What I want is an actual debate of the issues. I also want Clinton to make some sort of subtle appeal to potential Johnson voters.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 07:54:10 PM »

Emails, Hillary's health, "deplorables", and maybe a question about the wall. It's probably going to be an embarrassment, and show that the media has no interest in political discourse, and instead wants a cage match.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 07:55:31 PM »

I have hope that Lester Holt and the NBC higher-ups took the backlash at Lauer and his forum's format and questioning to heart and will appropriately course-correct. The media already has their horse-race narrative thanks to deplorables/pneumonia-gate and are probably looking for a new narrative and will either spin the debate as a yuuuuuge Trump win or a yuuuuuge Hillary win. No in between.
SaneDemocrat

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »

Hillary tries to get trump to say something insane.trump wins as a symptom of lowered expectations.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 07:58:13 PM »

Considering the tendency of this place to overreact... I think it's best to steer clear for 48 hours.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 08:03:41 PM »

The media will focus negatively against Hillary no matter who performs best.

Trump will get easy questions, none of which will focus on his scandals and constant lies, nor his blatant racism.  Clinton will get hard to answer questions, mostly about her "scandals," while Trump constantly interrupts her so that no one actually hears her answers--and the moderators will allow him to hijack the debate.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 08:04:05 PM »

I don't think I'll watch. I'm just going to come here and read the comments, and look at clips in the news. I really don't want to waste my time because I feel like that's what I would be doing. Trump cheats and throws low blows and is frankly a joke. I've got better things to do with my time.

Liar.  You're going to watch it like the rest of us, and you know it.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 08:18:53 PM »

Trump will get easy questions, none of which will focus on his scandals and constant lies, nor his blatant racism.  Clinton will get hard to answer questions, mostly about her "scandals,"

...pretty much what Matt Lauer did at the forum

while Trump constantly interrupts her so that no one actually hears her answers--and the moderators will allow him to hijack the debate.

^this
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 08:26:07 PM »

My prediction:

Clinton is a little too forced and rote on some of her answers, but makes no real mistakes. She displays clear, if civil, contempt for Trump's idiocy. (Her partisans love her for it.)

Trump comes across as a sub-moron spewing word-salad with confidence, and only a little deniable dog-whistling,  instead of the brain-damaged and insult-flinging Hitler clone everyone expects. (His partisans love it, and say he's "Presidential".)

The candidates supporters will each be convinced their side won, mainstream mediaeyeball whores will say Trump won.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 08:37:06 PM »

OK - I take it back, they're already overreacting.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 08:42:36 PM »

Clinton: Something about racism and division followed by a vague but serious enough policy proposal. Repeat.

Trump: Disaster! Sad! Disaster! Believe me! Repeat.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 08:50:27 PM »

Who even knows at the point but I'll grab some popcorn and a soda.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 09:26:10 PM »

Lester Holt asks Trump a question about Social Security.  Trumps talks about emails.
Lester Holt asks Trump a question about job creation.  Trumps talks about Benghazi.
Lester Holt requests Trump answer the questions that are posed to him.  Trump calls Holt a biased liberal who's part of the MSM conspiracy to rig the election for Clinton.  Half of the country agrees with Trump.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 09:35:15 PM »

Liar.  You're going to watch it like the rest of us, and you know it.

Nope. Depending on how the first debate comes out I might watch the second one. If Trump is serious about debating and not just throwing trash around, that is....we'll see.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 09:41:17 PM »

Trump will get easy questions, none of which will focus on his scandals and constant lies, nor his blatant racism.  Clinton will get hard to answer questions, mostly about her "scandals," while Trump constantly interrupts her so that no one actually hears her answers--and the moderators will allow him to hijack the debate.

This sounds about right.  Trump will be able to give non-answers to any policy questions, which the moderators will not press him on.  Meanwhile Clinton will give very thoughtful and precise answers to hard policy questions and the moderators will rag her for not giving simple yes/no answers to complex situations.

The reason the moderators won't press Trump for answers is that it's futile. They won't get anything worth listening to and they'll just look foolish trying. Trump gets away with this kind of behavior time and again everywhere he goes.

And the reason they will rag on Hillary for her answers is because her answers are too detailed and that's just not good enough. Nothing she does is ever good enough.

It will be the double standard working in top form.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 10:08:01 PM »

I don't know but I'm glad I'll be able to enjoy it as a blood sport seeing as I'm not a supporter of either candidate. The 2012 debates were nerve-racking.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 10:09:31 PM »

Go watch Maury or Jerry Springer.

It'll be like that.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 12:21:36 AM »

Who even knows at the point but I'll grab some popcorn and a soda.
Would you pass me some?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 12:29:36 AM »

The first minute and twenty seconds of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wai3pwVs_ms
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 09:12:46 AM »

Trump's strategy:  Attack Clinton on emails and trust factor, showing that if voters have any reservations about him, they should still pick Trump, as the lesser of two evils.  Try and explain his immigration and economic plan in general terms and avoid answering any complex questions!  Above all, get a zinger, an unforced error from Clinton or a "gotcha" moment, that will resonate with the audience and work against her.

Clinton's strategy: Attack her opponent on his ability to be POTUS and try to provoke Trump into saying something offensive, derogatory or just plain stupid.  Show knowledge and answer questions in detail, hoping there are enough non-reality-TV voters left who will understand the difference between her and Trump, in terms of capacity to lead the nation.  Avoid topics like Benghazi and emails. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies