Trump: people who say "freedom of speech!" are "foolish people"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:44:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump: people who say "freedom of speech!" are "foolish people"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump: people who say "freedom of speech!" are "foolish people"  (Read 1474 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 06:18:02 PM »

Trump is afraid of the first amendment, would repeal.

Trump is afraid of many things.  It's not surprising that somebody so insecure would have a problem with the free exchange of ideas.

Donald Trump wants the entire country to be his personal safe space.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »

Trump is afraid of many things.  It's not surprising that somebody so insecure would have a problem with the free exchange of ideas.

lol
rafta_rafta

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 06:22:35 PM »

Imagine him handling the nuclear codes like he handles his personal twitter account
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 07:17:06 PM »

Imagine him handling the nuclear codes like he handles his personal twitter account

That would actually make a good ad topic.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 07:23:11 PM »

If Trump is already attacking the First Amendment as supposed grounds for the attack in NYC, what's to say he won't attack other amendments for similar situations?

Hypothetical: Say he wins the presidency and a couple of radicalized Muslim-Americans in different parts of the U.S. commit mass shootings. What would stop him from blaming the Second Amendment and him actually taking away everyone's guns?

How do you consolidate for a candidate who clearly does not care for the constitution or Americans' rights? Even if you're okay with him undermining the First Amendment (you shouldn't be!), why would he stop there?

Trump supporters, please answer this question.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2016, 07:52:26 PM »

There does come a point where speech becomes conduct.  I'm loathe to invoke this principle in general, but there are times when it does apply.

If Congress officially declared war on various jihadist groups, spreading their propaganda would, under our Constitution, with no changes needed, rise to the level of Treason.

Individual liberty is important, but defending Western civilization comes first.

Holy sh**t! Are these guys ↑ really advocating against the 1st amendment!?

I'm certainly not.

But I will say this:  If we actually Declared War (as per the Constitution and not as per how we've done it since Korea), propaganda supporting a declared enemy would, in certain circumstances, rise to the level of treason.  That's not a proposal; that's the way it is now.

We haven't had a Declaration of War since 1941, so these concepts aren't real well known to today's generations, but folks in 1941 would be down with it, would understand it, and would not view it as anti-Constitution.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2016, 08:09:37 PM »

There does come a point where speech becomes conduct.  I'm loathe to invoke this principle in general, but there are times when it does apply.

If Congress officially declared war on various jihadist groups, spreading their propaganda would, under our Constitution, with no changes needed, rise to the level of Treason.

Individual liberty is important, but defending Western civilization comes first.

Holy sh**t! Are these guys ↑ really advocating against the 1st amendment!?

I'm certainly not.

But I will say this:  If we actually Declared War (as per the Constitution and not as per how we've done it since Korea), propaganda supporting a declared enemy would, in certain circumstances, rise to the level of treason.  That's not a proposal; that's the way it is now.

We haven't had a Declaration of War since 1941, so these concepts aren't real well known to today's generations, but folks in 1941 would be down with it, would understand it, and would not view it as anti-Constitution.

If we declare war, we have legitimized them as a nation, and will have thus already lost.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »

I call him Terrorist Trump, okay??? He's Terrorist Trump.

Terrorist Trump once again tears up free speech like a commie. SAD! /s
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2016, 10:42:55 PM »

There does come a point where speech becomes conduct.  

I am afraid, you have reached that point.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 08:16:02 AM »

Given a choice between freedom of speech and the right to bear arms, I will take freedom of speech. 
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2016, 08:23:58 AM »

Given a choice between freedom of speech and the right to bear arms, I will take freedom of speech. 

Why not neither?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »

As evidenced in this thread, several of Trump's supporters will go along with or justify anything he says. He probably could suggest mass extermination of a demographic, and at least 30% of his followers would agree with him like the mindless zombies they are. Many others would say "eh, I don't really like him, but... HILLARY'S EMAILS!!"
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2016, 10:48:14 AM »

Right wingers are triggered by anything which offends their sensibilities. Ironic because they are also the biggest whiners about political correctness
Don't generalize; we don't all feel that way.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies