Breaking: George H.W. Bush to vote for Hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:52:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Breaking: George H.W. Bush to vote for Hillary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Breaking: George H.W. Bush to vote for Hillary  (Read 4559 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2016, 06:46:54 PM »

Republicans who think that "Trumpism" will just go away after Trump loses and that the Republicans will nominate another Bush-type Republican in 2020 are deluding themselves.

People who think Trumpism represents a coherent set of views that will survive past Donald Trump's candidacy rather than a segment of the population overjoyous that a candidate will publicly say all of the xenophobic and racist things they say behind close doors and cloak it as "straight talk" are deluded.

Of course they're deluded, but they have enough share of the Republican primary vote to push their candidate into the nomination. Why would that change in 4 years? It's not like they'll leave the party if Trump loses.

I think Donald Trump has a very, very unique appeal.  As I've said in other posts, he had a slew of people supporting him for TOTALLY separate reasons; I'm highly skeptical that some carbon copy of him can achieve the same mass appeal.  He was the populist to Fuzzy Bear, the no-political-correctness guy to Classic, the America-first non-interventionist to Sanchez, the nominee you have to support to Lincoln Republican and the non-politician who will stand up to the Democrats on budget battles because he's not part of the DC club to my dad.  There isn't going to be another personality with that much name recognition in that great of a situation to run in 2020, IMO.

"Trumpism" shouldn't be used as a phrase for anything other than undying support for Donald Trump himself.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2016, 09:01:02 PM »

Maybe the older Bushes, but W's generation cares a lot more about social issues, which will probably stop them.

You're naive if you think the Bushes care about social issues.
W. wanted to amend the constitution to ban SSM.

Keep the old part in mind. Bush likely was in favor of SSM by the time it became legal in every state.*

*Except for in parts of Alabama, Kentucky, and Texas.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2016, 09:07:44 PM »

If Trump really is an aberration, why won't McConnell/Ryan/et al unequivocally rebuke him and distance themselves from him? The only thing worse than losing the election would be winning with Trump because then it really will be the Trumpist Party.

Not to get personal but does Paul Ryan really want to have to explain to his children why he supported someone like Donald Trump when they're old enough to ask those kinds of questions?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2016, 09:10:30 PM »

If Trump really is an aberration, why won't McConnell/Ryan/et al unequivocally rebuke him and distance themselves from him? The only thing worse than losing the election would be winning with Trump because then it really will be the Trumpist Party.

Not to get personal but does Paul Ryan really want to have to explain to his children why he supported someone like Donald Trump when they're old enough to ask those kinds of questions?

Because the GOP's chances are built on Trump's base. Pissing them off doesn't win back angry moderates/suburban educateds, AND alienates Trump's base, it's a lose/lose.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »

Would rebuking him actually significantly reduce his chancing of winning?  I don't think they're powerful enough to do much of anything to meaningfully change his chance of winning.  So they're just riding this out and (probably) secretly hoping he loses, but not by so much that he causes big problems downballot.

They don't want to speak out against him because he's at least temporarily popular with Republican voters....by virtue of being the party's nominee.  But anyone who was the Republican nominee would be popular with Republican voters.  If Rubio had won the nomination, he'd currently be at least as popular with Republican voters as Trump is IRL.  And I don't see any particular reason to think that the 2020 Republican nominee will be more like Trump than Rubio.  The fact that Trump won this time doesn't mean that the party will keep nominating Trump-like candidates in the future.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2016, 12:04:43 AM »

I don't know why someone who knows he's going to hell just for procreating, none the less committing many other more serious sins, would want to make his final year even worse. You'd figure if he wanted to go out in a peaceful, prosperous America, he'd have endorsed Paul or Johnson from the start.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2016, 12:06:53 AM »

Elect Hillary Clinton and you get the Bush I foreign policy. Elect Donald Trump and you have no idea of what you are getting.

Donald Trump is appeasing Vladimir Putin before the Russian dictator has demanded anything. One thing is certain: President Hillary Clinton will be able to deal with Vladimir Putin from a position of strength  
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2016, 12:12:18 AM »

I don't know why someone who knows he's going to hell just for procreating, none the less committing many other more serious sins, would want to make his final year even worse.

Because for some strange reason he does not want you and your family to die a horrible death. I know, you do not appreciate that, but he, still, cares.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2016, 05:55:47 AM »

I don't know why someone who knows he's going to hell just for procreating, none the less committing many other more serious sins, would want to make his final year even worse. You'd figure if he wanted to go out in a peaceful, prosperous America, he'd have endorsed Paul or Johnson from the start.
Clearly he does... unless you think that cutting ties with all of our trading partners is the route to a healthy economy
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2016, 06:36:52 AM »

He's rich, he and his family will be fine no matter what happens. We won't be though and he cares about that where Trump just wants to enrich himself and to hell with the country/world.
DIXIECRAT
Rookie

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2016, 07:32:56 AM »

I view immigrationism and globalism as nothing more than ideology, wishful thinking, virtue signalling, and Brazilification. If the Donald Trump phenomenon makes the party rethink its approach to immigration, trade and social cohesion, it's fine by me. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2016, 07:44:21 AM »

I view immigrationism and globalism as nothing more than ideology, wishful thinking, virtue signalling, and Brazilification. If the Donald Trump phenomenon makes the party rethink its approach to immigration, trade and social cohesion, it's fine by me. 

It's a shame that "virtue signalling", a rather useful term, has so quickly been overused to the point of oblivion. What on earth is "Brazilification" or "immigrationism", anyway? We are and have always been a country of immigrants.  But then again what is to expected from someone whose username might as well be "I am a racist hick"?
DIXIECRAT
Rookie

« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2016, 07:54:01 AM »

It's a shame that "virtue signalling", a rather useful term, has so quickly been overused to the point of oblivion. What on earth is "Brazilification" or "immigrationism", anyway? We are and have always been a country of immigrants.  But then again what is to expected from someone whose username might as well be "I am a racist hick"?

Quite a topic the migratory experience of racist hicks.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2016, 10:17:33 AM »

Frankly, I think racist hick males should be castrated in adolescence and should spend the rest of their lives singing in high voices for the glory of the Lord. Most definitely, the world would have been a better place if that were routinely done. Fortunately for certain deplorable types around here, there are social norms that prevent my view on this issue from being seriously considered for implementation as public policy.
DIXIECRAT
Rookie

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2016, 10:27:44 AM »

Frankly, I think racist hick males should be castrated in adolescence and should spend the rest of their lives singing in high voices for the glory of the Lord. Most definitely, the world would have been a better place if that were routinely done. Fortunately for certain deplorable types around here, there are social norms that prevent my view on this issue from being seriously considered for implementation as public policy.

It would have been more civilised just to not let them in. I'm happy we're reaching a common ground here, people.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2016, 11:45:16 AM »

It would have been more civilised just to not let them in. I'm happy we're reaching a common ground here, people.

If we do not let racist hick males down here, how would I be able to enjoy your falscetto?
DIXIECRAT
Rookie

« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »

If we do not let racist hick males down here, how would I be able to enjoy your falscetto?

Don't degrade yourself, you're better than that.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2016, 01:46:11 PM »

Don't degrade yourself, you're better than that.

Nah. I was better than that. Before Trump.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies