For Profit Colleges, what makes them an easy target?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:26:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  For Profit Colleges, what makes them an easy target?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For Profit Colleges, what makes them an easy target?  (Read 626 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »

Obama recently had ITT shut down as I'm sure most of us know.  Most of us probably don't have a problem with it because ITT kind of sucks, lies about sh**t and generally exist to siphon money from the Feds (ie, our tax dollars) via the poor people they are lying to.  But they weren't convicted of anything, they weren't even accused of anything.  They were just murdered by the Feds, leaving a mass of people in the lurch.  And don't most public and non-profit colleges do the exact same thing?  Kind of suck, lies about sh**t and generally exist only to siphon money from the Feds?  They complain about graduation rates and job placement at for profits, but graduation rates and job placement suck at "regular" schools too.

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Also interesting is that Bill Clinton made $17.6 million from a for profit school between 2010 and 2015.  Coincidentally, right before he took the gig the State Department invited the school's founder to a private dinner at the urging of the department's then-Secretary Hillary Clinton, she bragged that the school was "the fastest-growing college network in the world.".  On the other hand, that was just a small percentage of the money Bill made ($65.4M) while Hillary was head of the State Department.

Meanwhile, Obama's friend Marty Nesbitt and former Deputy Education Secretary Tony Miller are trying to buy University of Phoenix.  You should probably ignore the fact that Tony Miller spent a lot of time making sure UofP stock value went in the toilet (from almost $86/share when Obama took office, to $8/share now) when he was in charge of Education for the Feds.  Weird huh?

So for profit schools are....bad, but only when Obama or a Clinton isn't involved?  Or something else?  I could be missing something that makes this not look as bad as I just made it sound, can I get a little help from our Dem friends here?

Difficulty Level-no whataboutism
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:47:38 AM »

They should be all banned, plain and simple.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:16:07 PM »

I mean, I think running an educational institution of any kind for profit is morally wrong, so I'm not complaining, but there definitely seems to be some (okay, a ton of) hypocrisy involved here.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 02:26:39 PM »

I think proprietary schools range from acceptable to horrible in their business practices. The average definitely leans towards the bad side, but there are many for-profit businesses deeply involved with education that, as much as I hate the word, provide innovation and new solutions that the notoriously slow public and non-profit part of the education sector does not provide. There's nothing inherently less moral about running a for-profit college than publishers publishing textbooks for profit. In fact, the dirtiest players in education are probably the textbook publishers.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 12:51:23 AM »

Obama recently had ITT shut down as I'm sure most of us know.  Most of us probably don't have a problem with it because ITT kind of sucks, lies about sh**t and generally exist to siphon money from the Feds (ie, our tax dollars) via the poor people they are lying to.  But they weren't convicted of anything, they weren't even accused of anything.  They were just murdered by the Feds, leaving a mass of people in the lurch.  And don't most public and non-profit colleges do the exact same thing?  Kind of suck, lies about sh**t and generally exist only to siphon money from the Feds?  They complain about graduation rates and job placement at for profits, but graduation rates and job placement suck at "regular" schools too.

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Also interesting is that Bill Clinton made $17.6 million from a for profit school between 2010 and 2015.  Coincidentally, right before he took the gig the State Department invited the school's founder to a private dinner at the urging of the department's then-Secretary Hillary Clinton, she bragged that the school was "the fastest-growing college network in the world.".  On the other hand, that was just a small percentage of the money Bill made ($65.4M) while Hillary was head of the State Department.

Meanwhile, Obama's friend Marty Nesbitt and former Deputy Education Secretary Tony Miller are trying to buy University of Phoenix.  You should probably ignore the fact that Tony Miller spent a lot of time making sure UofP stock value went in the toilet (from almost $86/share when Obama took office, to $8/share now) when he was in charge of Education for the Feds.  Weird huh?

So for profit schools are....bad, but only when Obama or a Clinton isn't involved?  Or something else?  I could be missing something that makes this not look as bad as I just made it sound, can I get a little help from our Dem friends here?

Difficulty Level-no whataboutism
I love the obvious, vital fact you left out that literally is the reason why they were shut down.  That "money" (debt) they "siphoned" off from "the government" (rather than the students' futures).. is legally OWED BY THE STUDENTS PLUS INTEREST.

DOn't be a dimwit.  ITT was f**king over poors left and right and not getting results.

But what should I have expected from you?  Lay off the cheap sucrose.. it's pickling your logic.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 01:02:52 AM »

Jante was a genius.  He'd tell those colleges they think they're better than everyone else.  But the truth is they're not and never will be.  And they should act accordingly.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 07:13:16 AM »

I love the obvious, vital fact you left out that literally is the reason why they were shut down.  That "money" (debt) they "siphoned" off from "the government" (rather than the students' futures).. is legally OWED BY THE STUDENTS PLUS INTEREST.

DOn't be a dimwit.  ITT was f**king over poors left and right and not getting results.

But what should I have expected from you?  Lay off the cheap sucrose.. it's pickling your logic.
Salty! (and pickles!, I love salt and pickles.)

I'm pretty sure I said ITT sucks and was screwing over poor people, if you agree with somebody it helps to not be a douche.  And the tax payer is on the hook for any student of ITTs whose credits won't transfer to their next school...which should be all of them.

Do you care to touch on any of the actual meat of the OP, or are we just playing the role of Tony today?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 10:59:34 AM »

Jante was a genius.  He'd tell those colleges they think they're better than everyone else.  But the truth is they're not and never will be.  And they should act accordingly.

Jante is a town.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 07:44:13 AM »

So yeah, nothing then?  It is as bad as it sounds.....

Thanks to Nathan and Averroës for your contributions.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 02:27:02 PM »

The for-profits are basically all scams. However, so is much of non-profit higher ed, and a lot of that has to do with expectations that have developed surrounding college in the United States.

This is a decent point in the context of higher education. The Chico States of the world would benefit from a fuller recognition of the fact that they'll never be Harvards, and constitute themselves accordingly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies