BREAKING: Angelina Jolie to divorce Brad Pitt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:39:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  BREAKING: Angelina Jolie to divorce Brad Pitt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Angelina Jolie to divorce Brad Pitt  (Read 2278 times)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 05:30:19 PM »

Sad
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 05:38:26 PM »

If a guy friend of yours left his wife for another woman would you drop him as a friend?

Unless his wife was objectively horrible to him and had been since before the affair I'd strongly consider it, yes.

What if he just fell in love with another woman/out of love with his wife by accident? You can't control these things, you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DArOKcgq-Zs
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »

Who care?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 07:49:26 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2016, 07:54:36 PM by The Donald »

If a guy friend of yours left his wife for another woman would you drop him as a friend?

Unless his wife was objectively horrible to him and had been since before the affair I'd strongly consider it, yes.

What if he just fell in love with another woman/out of love with his wife by accident? You can't control these things, you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DArOKcgq-Zs

Responsibilities take precedence over feelings.

I've addressed this exact scenario recently elsewhere on the forum:

Say a man (or woman) is married but falls deeply in love with a woman other than his (or her) wife. This may mean that he, emotionally, 'loves' his wife less than he did before (or it may not!), but if so he can still communicate practical love to both women by being faithful to the obligations both that marriage means that he incurs to his wife and that whatever relationship he has with the other woman means that he incurs to her. In the case of his wife, this means that he doesn't become sexually intimate with the other woman and possibly emotionally distances himself from her somewhat. In the case of the other woman, it means that he continues to treat her solicitously and doesn't blame her for his own emotional conundrum.

I actually do have a friend whom I'm trying to get out of my friendship with because, among other reasons, her reaction to falling in love with someone other than her husband was so repulsive. I tried hard to rationalize her behavior to myself; for various reasons I'd almost certainly try less hard with a man.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »

I don't care if my friends cheat on their spouses, that is their business to deal with. As long as their spouses aren't closer friends to me than they are.

I support my friends, even when they make mistakes (within reason of course).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 07:56:45 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2016, 08:03:02 PM by The Donald »

I don't care if my friends cheat on their spouses, that is their business to deal with. As long as their spouses aren't closer friends to me than they are.

To be clear, it was how she dealt with the aftermath/consequences of cheating that was so repellent. She basically blamed her husband for not being sexually voracious enough and explicitly refused to admit she'd done anything wrong. I was 'on her side' (to a point) during the (brief) period of time between her cheating and it becoming clear that this was how she was going to process it.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 08:01:01 PM »

To be clear, it was how she dealt with the aftermath/consequences of cheating that was so repellent. She basically blamed her husband for not being sexually voracious enough and explicitly refused to admit she'd done anything wrong.

Ah, ok. That makes a bit more sense. Yea, the way I see it is I'll defend my friends, even if they are wrong, unless they make a ridiculous scene and drag and everyone down with them, which I've seen happen.

I had a friend who essentially blamed my friend group and I for "enabling" him to cheat. This was a blatant lie, as we were simply in the same house as him when he cheated on his girlfriend. Not our job to bust into his bedroom and moral police him. I'm still friends w/ this person (eventually apologized for his stupidity) but our group and he didn't talk for a few months.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 08:02:48 PM »

Not our job to bust into his bedroom and moral police him.

I mean, I might have done something like that (and my friends would probably expect me to, honestly), but I recognize that that very much calls for an (abnormal).

Last news from her is she's now cheated on the girl she cheated on her husband with, and is finally admitting fault, not for cheating, but for developing feelings for the guy she was casually [Inks]ing instead of spending time with her girlfriend.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2016, 08:07:13 PM »

Not our job to bust into his bedroom and moral police him.

I mean, I might have done something like that (and my friends would probably expect me to, honestly), but I recognize that that very much calls for an (abnormal).

Last news from her is she's now cheated on the girl she cheated on her husband with, and is finally admitting fault, not for cheating, but for developing feelings for the guy she was casually [Inks]ing instead of spending time with her girlfriend.

I mean, we all told him it wasnt' a good idea, but that's the farthest I'd go. Definitely didn't "enable" him to cheat on her. But, won't lie, none of us liked his girlfriend at the time because she freaked us out a bunch.

A different friend bragged about how he was able to make out with some random girl within hearing distance of his girlfriend. I told him maybe he shouldn't scream those things in earshot of other people and he got butthurt lol.

I like avoiding drama. Especially petty drama.

and damn, this girl sounds...bizarre lol.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 09:56:24 PM »

This kind of topic doesn't deserve my comment...

Wait.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2016, 01:38:15 AM »

What's especially sad about all this is that when I met her about six years ago she was a very restrained person and a liberal-but-devout Muslim. Now the way she goes about her life is somewhere between Emma Bovary and Charlie Sheen. Every individual step in the process of her going from 2010 her to current her made sense at the time.

At one point, more recently than I'd like to admit, I made the mistake of confiding in her that I feel more sexual urges in day-to-day life than I let on. She tried to convince me to give in to them because promiscuous sex mirrors Christ's love for us in the Eucharist, or something. (She hasn't at any point in her life been Catholic.) She also told me that 'sex is every young religious person's introduction to moral relativism' and that if I want to have sex I'll eventually find a way to justify it to myself, in a context that made it clear that she expected me to find this reassuring somehow.
Panda Express

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2016, 08:15:55 AM »

If I could direct everyone's attention back to back to Brangelina for a moment

Highly respected People Magazine highlights that while this may have come as a complete shock to all of us, there were indeed "hints of trouble".

http://www.people.com/article/angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-divorce-hints-of-trouble
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2016, 11:46:50 AM »

What's especially sad about all this is that when I met her about six years ago she was a very restrained person and a liberal-but-devout Muslim. Now the way she goes about her life is somewhere between Emma Bovary and Charlie Sheen. Every individual step in the process of her going from 2010 her to current her made sense at the time.

At one point, more recently than I'd like to admit, I made the mistake of confiding in her that I feel more sexual urges in day-to-day life than I let on. She tried to convince me to give in to them because promiscuous sex mirrors Christ's love for us in the Eucharist, or something. (She hasn't at any point in her life been Catholic.) She also told me that 'sex is every young religious person's introduction to moral relativism' and that if I want to have sex I'll eventually find a way to justify it to myself, in a context that made it clear that she expected me to find this reassuring somehow.

That's disturbing on so many levels. I'm sorry you haven't been able to get her to reconsider her actions, but I'm sure that you've done your best. Sometimes people just go their own way.

How about no?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »

How about no?

Oh, don't be silly: everyone loves a good Hollywood Couple story, particularly when they have a certain Golden Age Of feel to them. Admittedly I do partially because my maternal grandparents had that sort of relationship which I acknowledge is not universal! Grin
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2016, 12:25:43 PM »

How about no?

Oh, don't be silly: everyone loves a good Hollywood Couple story, particularly when they have a certain Golden Age Of feel to them. Admittedly I do partially because my maternal grandparents had that sort of relationship which I acknowledge is not universal! Grin

I'd think that if I had had this going on in my own family, I'd be even more uncomfortable gossiping about it.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2016, 01:53:02 PM »

It's rare for a celebrity couple to last this long.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2016, 03:41:47 PM »

@Santander: this better?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2016, 05:47:27 PM »

....wow...that's messed up.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 05:54:12 PM »

I hope him and Jennifer can get back together now.  I miss them
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2016, 10:44:34 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2016, 10:58:22 AM by Oh Hill Yes »

Brad investigated for child abuse:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/09/22/brad-pitt-child-abuse-investigation/
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2016, 01:15:12 PM »

Yikes. That explains things.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2016, 04:50:56 PM »

More heartbreaking than when that c**nt Brad Pitt, left Jennifer Aniston for this lame biatch?

Not quite as heartbreaking as that.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2016, 02:14:05 PM »

Sad. Angelina Jolie is one of the most beautiful women in the world. Sad. They probably didn't see eye to eye.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies