The Patriot: An Alternate History
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:10:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Patriot: An Alternate History
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Patriot: An Alternate History  (Read 3783 times)
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2005, 02:23:23 PM »

"...now if the Federalists were running Malcolm Little, then I think they'd go somewhere this time.  Right now, not seeing it..."

"...now, frankly, I think that President Hoover's federal marriage amendment was the best thing the country could have asked for..."

"...oil drilling continues in Antarctica, as U.S. Marines guard the area from possible guerilla or amphibous attack..."

"...Watterson, the new governor of Ohio, holds the most promise for the Democrats.  The idea of a new ice age and global ice cap expansion is an issue the Federalists just aren't buying, but the American people are..."

"And we can now call Connecticut for Pete du Pont, bringing him within striking distance of finishing off President Dole and returning the Federalists to the White House..."

"...that's right Hal, the former President's dying words were 'I destroyed.'  Sources speculate that he's referring to the atomic strikes over Russia that destroyed the Soviet Union..."

"...going into the Southern primaries, you've got Senator George Wallace with the early lead for the Democrats.  The former chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court would make a formidable candidate..."

"...well, with Minnesota going to the President, you can safely say this is all over but the shouting, Jody..."

"Today, the United States Star Fleet confirmed plans to build military bases in Earth orbit and on the Moon, with a Mars mission in 1981..."

"...all together, a relatively boring election cycle.  Reagan will sweep the Midwest, his home state's Illinois for heaven's sake, and take the Federalist strongholds in the Rockies.  No contest."

"...you've got President Foss going to NOLA Headquarters in Brussels, you've got the economy still doing strong, you've got President Ho Chi Minh being swept out of power in elections in Indochina after just two years in office...it's a good year for the incumbents..."

"...frankly Senator, I don't believe we've ever met."

"...with this announcement, it's official: Joe McCarthy will be challenging the Vice-President in the upcoming Federalist Party primaries..."

"...and we can now call Texas..."

"...reconstruction efforts headed up by the Nations of Liberty Alliance continue in St. Petersburg and Moscow, despite a few of the Lenin's Lions insurgent groups continuing to make things seem bleak for NOLA forces..."

"...words without action are the assassins of idealism, so I pledge to you, I will not waver, I will not stumble, and I will not fail.  Instead, I will act!"

"...Cordell Hull will hold some of the South, but this is wartime."

"...so the Governor of Michigan pulls off the upset that nobody believed was possible, Landon's sidelined without any electoral votes, and FDR is out..."

"...President Lowden's more or less dead, and so it seems, is the GOP..."

"For God's sake Herbert, don't run.  Just don't do it."
Archangel_Mikey
King Michael
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 05:33:18 PM »

Are you going to continue with this?
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 06:06:07 PM »

Yeah.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 07:47:07 PM »

The History Channel: The American Presidency

Opening Segment, Presidential Sound Bites

Woodrow Wilson, Join Session of Congress, 1912: We will make the world safe for democracy!

Frank O. Lowden, Madison Square Garden, 1928: We are closer today to the abolition of poverty than any other nation in history!

Josh Hutchins, Joint Session of Congress, 1939: And with this in mind, with our dreams of freedom past, freedom present, and freedom future in our hearts, I ask for a declaration of war against the so-called Axis powers...

Herbert Hoover, Oval Office address, 1946: Our strikes against the Communist forces in China have completed their military objective.  Almighty God gave us this power of the atom for the good of mankind, and I believe we have used it so today...

Joe McCarthy, AFP National Convention, 1956: I'm Joe McCarthy, and I'm reporting for duty!

Joe Foss, Press Conference, 1966: I can think of no better right than the right to bear arms, and I don't care if you're white, black, green, or orange, you have that right.

Malcolm Little, Oval Office Address, 1979: Today Americans have set foot on another planet...

Bob Dole, Democratic National Convention, 1984: The President has talked a good talk, but let's face it, he sure hasn't walked the walk!

Pete du Pont, State of the Union Addres, 1992: Our foreign policy has remained consistent, and will remain consistent.  We're not giving in to two-bit dictators, because America has the clarity of a sharpened pioneer ax...

Bill Watterson, Oval Office Address, President Hutchins gave us a "Real Deal", President McCarthy offered us the "Free Deal", and now I'm here to offer you a "Green Deal"...
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 08:28:24 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2005, 08:30:05 PM by Mr. Hobbes »

historychannel.com: Professor George W. Bush's Ranking of Presidents since 1928

Professor George W. Bush, two-time Nobel Prize winner in the area of History, has released his list of the greatest Presidents since 1928, when according to his thinking, "the real Modern Era begin."  As a note, these rankings do not accord to a President's personal popularity (Reagan and Watterson fans are warned).

The Top Five

1. Josh Hutchins       American Federalist   1937-1945
Obviously, President Hutchins would head the list.  From winning the War for Liberty, founding the American Federalist Party, setting up the NOLA Charter, using nuclear weapons to destory the Soviet Union, and signing the Civil Rights Act, Hutchins is clearly one of America's greatest chief executives ever.

2. Joe Foss          Democratic                   1961-1969
In terms of getting things done, President Foss takes the cake.  Although best known for his fearless defense of the Second Amendment, Foss also expanded the United States Star Fleet, increased military spending, and followed up with TR's Big Stick in a way that Teddy could only have dreamed of. 

3. Herbert Hoover    American Federalist   1945-1953
In a twist of fate, if it hadn't been for then Governor Josh Hutchins convincing Hoover not to run for President in 1928, it's likely that the super-efficient domestic hero would have been blamed for the Depression as surely as Frank Lowden was.  President Hoover is mostly remembered for some of his more forward-thinking advancements, such as the right to life and federal marriage amendments, which he passed at the urging of President Hutchins who feared a future "libertine society".  Also remembered for his Efficient Tax Bill, signed in 1950, and destroying Communist forces in China with nuclear weapons.

4. Malcolm Little       American Federalist   1973-1981
The son of a Baptist preacher, the militant conservative Malcolm Little was elected America's first black President in 1972.  He also was able to reach across the table and worked with Senate Minority Leader George Wallace in 1978 to pass a historic budget surplus, which was used to fund a Federalist universal health care program.

5. Pete du Pont       American Federalist   1989-1997
Mr. Foreign Policy, President du Pont engineered several successful policy initiatives as President, dealing with the foreign threats coming from United Africa and the Latin-American terrorists in Colombia.  Also passed the national education bank program, closing barriers to universal college education in America.   

The Rest
6. Clinton P. Anderson  Democratic  1954-1957

7. Ronald Reagan  Democratic  1969-1970

8. Bob Dole   Democratic   1985-1989

9. Joe McCarthy   American Federalist   1957-1961

10. Alan Greenspan   Democratic  1970-1973

11. Wayne Laffer  American Federalist  1981-1985

12. Bill Watterson  Democratic   2001-2005
*-A note, President Watterson ranks lower because we cannot be as certain of the historical merit of his achievements.  GWB

13. Frank O. Lowden   Republican   1929-1933

14. George Marshall   Democratic  1953-1954

15. Dan Lungren   American Federalist  1997-2001

16. Franklin D. Roosevelt  Democratic  1933-1937   
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 11:19:18 PM »

(Any responses?  Sorry to beg, but I'm interested in how people see this/respond.)
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 12:11:42 AM »

The World Book Encyclopedia
1952, Election of

NOLA Supreme Commander George Marshall/Senator Clinton P. Anderson (Democratic)  51%  292

Senator Prescott Bush/Senator William Ezra Jenner (AFP)  49%  243

Following the two successful terms of President Herbert Hoover, the American Federalist Party met in New York City and named Senator Prescott Bush as their nominee on the second ballot, and paired him with an old-style GOP conservative in Indiana Senator William E. Jenner. 

Bush's campaign lacked a singular focus, often invoking the name of Hoover and Hoover's accomplishments, which gave the Democrats a chance to seize the White House for the first time since 1936. 

The selected War for Liberty hero and NOLA Supreme Commander George C. Marshall for the nomination, and paired him an obscure Senator from New Mexico, Clinton Anderson.  The tapping of Anderson, with his connections to the business community, signaled the Democratic shift into a more conservative party, which began under President Hutchins and solidified when even the conservative Federalist Hoover formed a BBC-styled U.S. television network.

Marshall gave concrete plans for working with NOLA and the international community to fight any resurgent forms of communism in the former USSR, as well as staving off new Islamic fascism that was emerging in nations such as Egypt.  Domestically, his personal liberalism was not accentuated, as party bosses forced Marshall to accept the new DNC line of conservatism.  (This wasn't too difficult, since Marshall was getting up there in years and didn't seem likely to start getting much younger.)

In the end, it all came down to Texas, which sided with Commander Marshall by a mere 12,000 votes, sweeping the Federalists out of the White House.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 11:09:37 AM »

(Any responses? Sorry to beg, but I'm interested in how people see this/respond.)

You know I've been reading it Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 12:23:12 PM »

I love how Hoover is regarded as a great President in this.

I don't think he would freely use the atomic weapon though, he was a Quaker and condemned Truman for using the bomb on Japan.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 12:25:45 PM »

I love how Hoover is regarded as a great President in this.

I don't think he would freely use the atomic weapon though, he was a Quaker and condemned Truman for using the bomb on Japan.

There is an explanation for it... He told MacArthur to take care of it and boom... There ya go... Smiley
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 12:30:49 PM »

Professor George W. Bush, two-time Nobel Prize winner
Hahaha!  I can't stop laughing at that.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 12:33:05 PM »

soc.hist.what-if: WI McCarthy doesn't run in '56?

michealadams@netsearch@.usa

After seeing major action in the War for Liberty and flying one of the atomic missions over Russia, Joe McCarthy returned home, joined the American Federalists and won a U.S. Senate seat.  In the Senate, he gained notoriety when he gave an impassioned speech about government corruption and how the Senate was blocking anti-homeless legislation.  Although the charges were false, McCarthy became a major player in moving the Federalists further left on health care/welfare issues.

(There are those who say McCarthy was just trying to find some sort of issue to gain any sort of notoriety, but I'd like to put a little more faith in the guy.)

So what do we do if McCarthy doesn't run against Warren in the 1956 primaries?  Warren wasn't as bombastic as McCarthy, but had an image of being more moderate (Plus, as Hutchins and Hoover's Attorney General was a fair-haired boy in the AFP.)  

Does Warren still beat President Anderson?

---
Mike Adams
University of Gainesville
Gainesville, Fl., USA

Re: WI McCarthy doesn't run in '56?

jimmykrakkorn@mailweb.usa

>>Does Warren still beat President Anderson?

In a nutshell, ya, he does.   As much of a decent guy that Clinton Anderson was, he wasn't going to be re-elected in 1956 barring an act of God.  1956 was a Federalist year, Marshall and Anderson hadn't banked on their promises and had no real "connect" with the heartland voters.

That said, I think the more interesting idea here is how President Warren governs differently from President McCarthy.  "Gunner Joe" was big on establishing broad committees and giving major prime-time speeches.  And he made far too many "misstatements" and outright lies in office, (Plus his extraconstitutional use of the FBI for "campaign" purposes.) to be a viable guy by 1960.

Warren strikes me as more subtle, more smart.  I think he could have enacted McCarthy's policies without McCarthy's trouble and been re-elected.  

But that butterflys away President Foss, who was a dynamic figure in the Democratic Party...so what happens from there?
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 12:35:01 PM »

Well, there's a reason that Hoover uses the bomb, and we'll eventually see that as we get to the end of the timeline.  (I'm hoping that I get there, all of my projects end up half-finished.)

And hopefully we'll see another glimpse of Professor Bush!
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 01:24:36 AM »

[This wasn't going to be in the timeline, but I couldn't resist the idea of a President Clancy.  Later, we'll get back to the past.]

zackclemson.usa: 2008: The Race for the Nomination

This Week's Frontrunner

Senator Thomas Leo "Tom" Clancy (AFP-PA)

The lion-hearted Senate Minority Leader and persistent critic of President Watterson has emerged as a frontrunner of sorts for the American Federalists.  In a party that was slumping into a black hole after the Watterson landslide of 2004, Clancy took the minority leadership spot from Senator John Breaux, and has used it as his bully pulpit to offer a countering smattering of neoliberal philosophy to counter the President.

When Watterson attempted to institute the long-dreamed of progressive income tax by repealing Hoover's Efficient Tax Bill, it was Senator Clancy who rallied public opinion against Watterson, making standing by Hoover's code a pinnacle of the AFP renaissance in the 2006 mid-terms. 

A former small-time author of military fiction, Clancy has also stood by a Federalist commitment to a strong military that goes back to President Josh Hutchins.  The Intelligence Expansion Act and Star Fleet Readjustment Act, both sponsored by Clancy, were passed over President Watterson's vetoes in 2007. 

Clancy seems ready to launch a campaign for President of the United States, and if I were a Democrat, I'd be shaking in my boots.

-Zack Clemson
me@zackclemson.usa
March 22, 2007
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 01:42:32 AM »

Professor George W. Bush, two-time Nobel Prize winner
Hahaha!  I can't stop laughing at that.

I don't know that's crazier.

1. That they have Nobel Prizes in History
2. That George W. Bush is a professor
3. That he won a Nobel Prize in History
4. That he won a 2nd one.

Shockley is the only person to have ever won multiple of the same type Nobel Prize.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2005, 04:09:54 PM »

Obviously, Professor Bush is a genius in this TL.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies