Current U.S. Residents - current view on leaving country if Trump is elected
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:42:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Current U.S. Residents - current view on leaving country if Trump is elected
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
I plan to leave as soon as Trump is elected

While I would like to leave, it is not currently feasible due to financial difficulties or educational desires (i.e. wanting to finish college here)

Not sure yet. Will depend on what Trump actually does as President.

I can't rule anything out, but I seriously doubt that I will actually want to leave

Would never leave the U.S. based on who is president

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Current U.S. Residents - current view on leaving country if Trump is elected  (Read 1571 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »

Option 2
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 11:52:43 AM »

Would never leave.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »

I can't rule anything out,...
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:39:26 PM »

Has anyone ever actually done this btw? There were a load of 'celebrity' douches in the mid-90s here who threatened to leave if Labour got back into power. IIRC the only one who followed through on his promise was Jim Davidson.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 01:59:06 PM »

Option 5 (not a spoiled child).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 02:11:20 PM »

Trump winning would actually make it more likely for me to leave the country, if only temporarily, because there is a greater chance that he will abolish the immoral system of worldwide taxation that the US practices.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 03:48:48 PM »

These moronic threats reek of a narcissistic desire to enforce hyper-conformity based around the bubble of choice they live in. It is an utterly disturbing glimpse at an grandiose authoritarian mindset many politicos have. It shows politics is merely an outlet for their own egotism than any real interest in improving society.

Besides, Drumpf will launch Armageddon regardless.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 03:59:52 PM »

I would always be a US citizen, vote in US elections, advocate for policies in the US.

...having said that, I could see myself getting a job in Canada/Australia/NZ for a few years.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 04:18:46 PM »

I intend to, as I would feel unsafe in this country. Perhaps that makes me a "spoiled child"!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 04:54:44 PM »

I might leave anyway, but not for political reasons.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 05:16:20 PM »

Wouldn't want to leave, but might have to if things get too bad. Voted option 4.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 08:34:07 PM »

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »

I am not currently in a position to marry a foreigner, no company is going to sponsor me for a work visa so I can legally work outside the US, and the presidency has no impact on my day to day life, so no.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 07:14:23 PM »

WI: I would never leave to a point, and Trump doesn't cross the line. I voted for your sixth option, though that's not what I really mean.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 07:23:21 PM »

Would never leave, we need to vote him out in 2020.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 12:02:20 AM »

You're assuming we will still have real elections as opposed to the (genuinely) rigged ones Russia has had since Putin came to power. 
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 08:57:10 AM »

No, I will never leave the US and California because of an orange-skinned faker.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 09:50:15 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2016, 09:58:31 AM by Spicy Purrito »

How do you go about getting a job in Canada/UK or any other major anglophone country? Do you just apply as normal and then your boss sponsors you and in time, you can get citizenship?

At this point, I don't know. I definitely have a very job in a good field but don't what the risks are yet.

People complained about Bush after he won narrowly but decisively won in 2004. He replaced a moderate and a conservative with two conservatives on SCOTUS, made it harder to declare bankruptcy if you are at least of median means, and participated in a PR campaign against a DNR request in order to stir anti-abortion sentiment...but still, he didn't invade Iran, he didn't cancel Social Security, and the trouble he started to have in the summer/fall of 2005 metastasized into a more successful movement against him by the summer of 2006 that would last 4 years. It was bad, but it ended and did not cause apparent permanent damage.  
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 04:08:17 AM »

Honestly, option 2. This country will mean nothing to me if it elects someone like Donald Trump. The fact that he is even this close is very troubling to me and it does truly scare me. This election has reached the point where it is shaking my very faith in democracy itself, or at least the democracy that this country attempts and aspires to be.

Yes, I would like to leave were the worst to happen. It is not easy to just pick up your bags and move all of a sudden though. Financial difficulties are just one of a number of issues at hand. It also means moving to a country that will accept you and other First World countries tend to more restrictive in terms of immigration. Also, it means moving away from the people you love and care about. So yeah, it's not easy. Part of me is also stubborn too though and I don't want to give up. Like I've said before, I would support an independence movement for California and perhaps the entire West Coast.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 07:02:53 AM »

Honestly, option 2. This country will mean nothing to me if it elects someone like Donald Trump. The fact that he is even this close is very troubling to me and it does truly scare me. This election has reached the point where it is shaking my very faith in democracy itself, or at least the democracy that this country attempts and aspires to be.

Yes, I would like to leave were the worst to happen. It is not easy to just pick up your bags and move all of a sudden though. Financial difficulties are just one of a number of issues at hand. It also means moving to a country that will accept you and other First World countries tend to more restrictive in terms of immigration. Also, it means moving away from the people you love and care about. So yeah, it's not easy. Part of me is also stubborn too though and I don't want to give up. Like I've said before, I would support an independence movement for California and perhaps the entire West Coast.

Perhaps if people keep saying you are not an American, you will eventually believe it.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 07:42:59 AM »

Perhaps if people keep saying you are not an American, you will eventually believe it.

No, I stand by every word I said. I don't care what anyone else says about me. I have a deep seething hatred of Donald Trump and everything he believes in. I don't believe I've ever despised an American politician so much. I do believe he is a genuine threat to everything we as a country currently apparently believe in. If this country elects Donald Trump, I will have no belief in it whatsoever. I cannot accept living in a country that elects as its leader a racist, misogynistic, xenophobic, psychotic asshole. The Constitution will have no meaning at that point.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies