KY-GOV 2015: Why did Jack Conway lose to Matt Bevin?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:44:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY-GOV 2015: Why did Jack Conway lose to Matt Bevin?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: KY-GOV 2015: Why did Jack Conway lose to Matt Bevin?  (Read 1249 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2016, 08:57:25 PM »

When I heard the news that then-Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway lost to Republican outsider businessman Matt Bevin last year in 2015, I was somewhat shocked. Conway had the name ID, good Southern looks, moderate centrist Democrat, and a decent record, and experience. How did such a experienced Democrat lose to Bevin? Was it due to the rightward trend of Kentucky, or something else? Did he turn out Latino and Black voters?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 09:03:58 PM »

Conway is as bad a candidate as Martha Coakley, but gets way less hate because he has a penis.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:09:26 PM »

Conway is as bad a candidate as Martha Coakley, but gets way less hate because he has a penis.
Quit your bull, it's because he's a Democrat in now deep red Kentucky as opposed to being a Democrat in deep blue Masachussetts.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 09:12:05 PM »

Three main reasons: the extremely low job approval of President Obama in Kentucky, its status as a Southern Bible Belt state, plus the perceived hostility of national Democrats toward coal mining.

To those who say racism, I will point out that much of that region started trending R before Obama, primarily because of social issues and coal.  (See the swing from 1996 to 2000 for president to see what I mean.)

When I heard the news that then-Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway lost to Republican outsider businessman Matt Bevin last year in 2015, I was somewhat shocked. Conway had the name ID, good Southern looks, moderate centrist Democrat, and a decent record, and experience. How did such a experienced Democrat lose to Bevin? Was it due to the rightward trend of Kentucky, or something else? Did he turn out Latino and Black voters?
A lot of Bevin's victory has to do with the fact that he WAS an outsider in a national climate that is hostile to experience and competence (see Donald Trump).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:15:42 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2016, 09:18:18 PM by Maxwell »

Quit your bull, it's because he's a Democrat in now deep red Kentucky as opposed to being a Democrat in deep blue Masachussetts.

Conway ran with all the possible advantages he could have - winning statewide multiple times, very strong campaign infrastructure, running against already weak opponents (Bevin, Paul), and running in a state that is definitely willing to give Democrats a chance if you offer them (see: there are still statewide democrats, Beshear got re-elected by over 20 points). I suppose I can understand losing to Paul - Conway ran in a wave year, made an epically bad move last minute, and Paul isn't the worst politician ever. I can't understand losing to Bevin, who ran an exceptionally incompetent and bewildering campaign, in a year that wasn't especially bad for Democrats (I mean, Dems won a Governors spot in Louisiana that year for crying out loud), and losing so badly that Bevin carried with him a previously left for dead Republican for Auditor with him.

Coakley at least improved in her second rendezvous (as her loss to Baker is a little more understandable).
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:25:57 PM »

Conway ran with all the possible advantages he could have - winning statewide multiple times, very strong campaign infrastructure, running against already weak opponents (Bevin, Paul), and running in a state that is definitely willing to give Democrats a chance if you offer them (see: there are still statewide democrats, Beshear got re-elected by over 20 points). I suppose I can understand losing to Paul - Conway ran in a wave year, made an epically bad move last minute, and Paul isn't the worst politician ever. I can't understand losing to Bevin, who ran an exceptionally incompetent and bewildering campaign, in a year that wasn't especially bad for Democrats (I mean, Dems won a Governors spot in Louisiana that year for crying out loud), and losing so badly that Bevin carried with him a previously left for dead Republican for Auditor with him.

Coakley at least improved in her second rendezvous (as her loss to Baker is a little more understandable).
Louisiana was a special case, considering how disliked the scandal-ridden Vitter was. Bevin was just like a mini-Trump. I think you underestimate how violent the R trend has been in Kentucky, especially in the coal counties.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 09:37:19 PM »

Conway never brought in surrogates like Ben Chandler and Steve Breshesr: broadly popular people from the state. Even Evan Bayh, Earl Ray Tomblin, and Joe Manchin may have helped in northern and eastern Kentucky, respectively.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 09:56:24 PM »

Conway never brought in surrogates like Ben Chandler and Steve Breshesr: broadly popular people from the state. Even Evan Bayh, Earl Ray Tomblin, and Joe Manchin may have helped in northern and eastern Kentucky, respectively.

uh Ben Chandler lost re-election in a Presidential year to a potentially worse candidate.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »

Because Conway had a (D) next to his name. Kim Jong Un (R) would have beaten Jesus Christ (D) in Kentucky.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 10:42:02 PM »

Conway came across as arrogant in the debates, IMO, and awkward in his own ads.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 11:00:36 PM »

Because Conway had a (D) next to his name. Kim Jong Un (R) would have beaten Jesus Christ (D) in Kentucky.

two democrats won that year.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 11:08:13 PM »

Grimes was a pretty popular incumbent whose opponent was not serious (IIRC) and Andy Beshear's last name narrowly pulled him to victory. Andy Smith (D) would have lost.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »

uh Ben Chandler lost re-election in a Presidential year to a potentially worse candidate.

And in a district redrawn to help him to boot.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »

Incredibly low turnout and social issues. There was an article where a lot of poor people were terrified of losing their benefits and didn't know what they would do but they voted for Bevin because of social issues.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »

Matt Bevin got more votes.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 10:23:36 PM »

And in a district redrawn to help him to boot.

Chandler lost by about 3% in a R+9 seat. That's fairly impressive.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »

Because Conway was one stiff mofo. 
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 06:35:29 PM »

He was too liberal, Kentucky isn't Boston, Chicago or San Francisco.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 11:09:22 AM »

Kim Davis. Conway was looking good for much of the summer and then the gay marriage sh**t show nationalized the campaign.
Breton Racer
Harrytruman48
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »

He lost because voter turnout was historically low.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 12:27:29 AM »

Alison Grimes won though.
PAK Man

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 02:51:31 AM »

Alison Grimes won though.

As did Andy Beshear (in an open-seat race) and Adam Edelen just barely lost reelection. And Conway performed worst out of all of them. That tells me there could have been Bevin/Beshear/Grimes/Edelen voters.

That's why I don't really think the Democratic brand is what damaged Conway, since Grimes had run for federal office and lost too. I think it was just the fact he was a bad candidate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 02:36:06 AM »

Because it's Kentucky.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 02:41:13 AM »

A Republican won the SoS office in Washington state. I suppose that means any Republican who loses in that state can only blame themselves and their campaign, and not the fact that Washington is a solid D state?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies