What could plausibly come out and actually damage Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:08:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What could plausibly come out and actually damage Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What could plausibly come out and actually damage Trump?  (Read 1145 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2016, 02:06:29 AM »
« edited: September 21, 2016, 02:13:24 AM by Lyin' Steve »

In the last 72 hours we've had Trump threatening Hillary's life again ("take away her bodyguards and see what happens [my supporters will shoot her]"), his son tweeting out that refugees are like poison, revelations that he used his charity funds to pay off legal fees, his statement that the New York terror suspect shouldn't be given medical treatment and his constitutional rights should be denied, his statement that Obama is worse than slavery for the blacks, and his weird apology-non-apology-apology for birtherism where he also tried to convince us that it was actually Hillary's idea all along.  That's not even mentioning earlier in this week when we found out that he BSed his way into 9/11 small business money by lying about damage to his buildings, or the very real and obvious scandal that he bribed a judge to kill a lawsuit against Trump University.  That's three clear, undeniable, deplorable crimes, one probable crime (threatening the life of a public official), and four obscenely ignorant and idiotic statements.

And every single person on this forum knows that not a lick of it will matter.  Trump's base will stay solid and he will continue to slowly grind away Clinton's support.  Spoiled millennial children will vote third party to feel important.  The right-wing media empire will cover up the stories with a bunch of lies and what-abouts and claim that anyone who reports honestly on them is a left-wing hack.  Moderates will continue to say "yeah that's really bad but I just can't vote for Hillary because I don't like her."

At this point, what is the threshold for something Trump could do that would actually cause any sort of damage to his campaign?  Not extreme examples like "pushing Sean Hannity off of Trump Tower", but the bare minimum threshold for him to lose, say, 2-3% of his support to Hillary.

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 02:19:34 AM »

At this point, what is the threshold for something Trump could do that would actually cause any sort of damage to his campaign?  Not extreme examples like "pushing Sean Hannity off of Trump Tower", but the bare minimum threshold for him to lose, say, 2-3% of his support to Hillary.

At this point, nothing short of some confirmed revelation that he's a Democratic plant will really have any effect.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 02:30:01 AM »

Him doing terribly in the debates. That's what hurt him in the primaries.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 02:30:25 AM »

As I said in another thread, he'd probably have to use a slur of some kind, in no uncertain terms, to face any kind of serious backlash.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 02:37:59 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2016, 02:44:31 AM by matthew27 »

1.Confirmation that he has had incest with his daughter. Video  posted on the internet and going viral of them going at it!
2. The rape case ends up with a conviction before the election....Many on the right don't like guys that rape children and believe the death penalty for them is needed.
3. Come out and says that he's going to grant amnesty and triple muslims immigration.

Anyone of the three could finally take the jerk down.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 03:15:09 AM »

I'm not quite so pessimistic as the OP. I think all the things listed will have a small but significant effect over time. The OP talks about "grinding away Clinton's support" but I think these things will grind away at Trump's support, especially now he seems to have lost the media thanks to the Trump Hotel fiasco.

But, yeah, if anything causes a sudden drop in his support it'll be the debates.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 03:32:10 AM »

I'm not quite so pessimistic as the OP. I think all the things listed will have a small but significant effect over time. The OP talks about "grinding away Clinton's support" but I think these things will grind away at Trump's support, especially now he seems to have lost the media thanks to the Trump Hotel fiasco.

But, yeah, if anything causes a sudden drop in his support it'll be the debates.

Unlike Hillary's support, Trumps supporters are REAL and actually believes in the candidate.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 03:40:54 AM »

That he isn't actually deranged.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 05:33:35 AM »

Him doing terribly in the debates. That's what hurt him in the primaries.

Possible. But currently he's already hold to a lower standard. Nobody expects him to do very well. So if just performs "ok" and avoids major mistakes/gaffes, it may actually help him.

He could do very well in the debates with a strong closing statement like Reagan did in 1980. Something like this: "Fellow citizens, it is now time ask yourself whether you want to continue the course and let donors and special interests rule our country. Do you want open borders, trade deals that are ripping us off and a world that has lost respect for us? Or do you want a real change agent, not somebody who has been there for thirty years like Hillary Clinton. Do you want someone, who shakes up Washington, work for you and not special interests, who renegotiates trade deals, bring back jobs and provide safety for all...".

That is the kind of closing statement I would deliver in Trump's position, and I think it's a message that could resonate very well.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 05:33:52 AM »

Unlike Hillary's support, Trumps supporters are REAL and actually believes in the candidate.
I guess I'm not a person, then. Please outline for me Trump's policies, I'd be curious as to why someone would support them.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 05:40:58 AM »

The policies of cut,slash and deregulate. Idiocy.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 06:36:01 AM »

I guess I'm not a person, then. Please outline for me Trump's policies, I'd be curious as to why someone would support them.

Making America great again Smiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 06:38:19 AM »

Need to hit hard and get NYAG to charge Trump for the theft from his charity, as he calls it "OPM"..."using other people's money".
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 07:34:29 AM »

TrumpMillers "policy" of ignoring reality is very attractive to voters who also find reality, and real solutions to problems facing the nation, unpalatable.
bilaps
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 07:50:51 AM »

In the last 72 hours we've had Trump threatening Hillary's life again ("take away her bodyguards and see what happens [my supporters will shoot her]"), his son tweeting out that refugees are like poison

And this is one of the reasons people don't care. He didn't threaten Hillary's life again and his son didn't tweet out that refugees are poison. He and his son both made stupid comments, but you are overreacting, just like the media. And after some time it gets lost. It's like crying out every elections that this Republican is racist, this one is xenophobic etc and when the real racist shows up, nobody notices or nobody cares.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 09:53:41 AM »

Donald Trump can always damage Donald Trump.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 11:31:35 AM »

I was going to say a health scare akin to Hillary's, but then I remembered that she is held to a completely different gender-dependent standard and that Trump would rise in the polls substantially if he had a heart-episode or something similar.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2016, 11:36:18 AM by Virginia »

I was going to say a health scare akin to Hillary's, but then I remembered that she is held to a completely different gender-dependent standard and that Trump would rise in the polls substantially if he had a heart-episode or something similar.

He would probably just end up holding a press conference from his hospital room and proclaim that nature is rigged against him. His supporters would then harden their resolve and unite in a bitter fight against reality.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »

It doesn't appear as though there is anything under the sun that would damage him in this election in the eyes of his loyal followers.

Good thing those types are in the minority.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 12:08:16 PM »

Although in all seriousness, there's nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people... maybe there is, I don't know. I think his bodyguards should drop all weapons. Disarm immediately. Take their guns away, let's see what happens to him.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 12:36:09 PM »

Although in all seriousness, there's nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people... maybe there is, I don't know. I think his bodyguards should drop all weapons. Disarm immediately. Take their guns away, let's see what happens to him.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »

Nothing will damage Trump.  Dead hookers, doublespeak, misspeak, and the like won't affect his base of support.  That 43% or so of the electorate that supports him will continue to support him no matter what.  The Donald himself put it best last January when he said, "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 12:50:12 PM »

A tax return showing he isn't as rich as he claims, or some other "emperor has no clothes" type of moment.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »

As usual Atlas overreacts. Smiley

Trump is essentially dead man walking right now; after he demonstrates that he knows nothing in the debates, it will be even more pronounced. If he was facing anybody but Clinton, it would be over. But, his campaign is still hanging on to the hope that she will stumble, and the fact that Hillary Clinton's negatives are almost as high as Trump's.

As for the original question, Al Capone did not go down over murder accusations, and Trump won't go down over racist accusations. The thing that will bury him is proof that his greed will NOT be transformed into helping the have-nots, but only himself. So, something like his misuse of Trump foundation money, if conclusively proven, should knock out 3-5% off his numbers.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 02:28:02 PM »

Well... We might have just seen it, with the Don King incident. Then again...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies