Trump supporters and "RINOs"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:44:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump supporters and "RINOs"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump supporters and "RINOs"  (Read 218 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:19:18 AM »

I find it comically absurd that Trump's supporters can call people like Paul Ryan, John Kasich, the Bushes, even Ted Cruz "Republicans in Name Only." As if Donald Trump had any commitment (let alone loyalty) to the Republican Party.

Don't get me wrong, the GOP Establishment has a lot to answer for regarding their electoral/political strategy of recent decades - a strategy that clearly had a lot to do with Trump's rise. Yet still...the Trump phenomenon has made the Republican Party so toxic to so many people that even figures like George H.W. Bush are planning to vote for Hillary Clinton (or Gary Johnson in other cases). Yes, "Crooked Hillary" is getting the endorsement of many of the same people who have loathed her ever since she became a public figure. That demonstrates just how utterly bizarre this election is, and how all of the conventional wisdom has been thrown out the window.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:21:11 AM »

To the Trumpers and tea-partiers even Reagan would be a RINO based on his policy positions and actions while in office.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:24:26 AM »

The types of people who preferred Trump in the primary seem to use terms other than RINO.  RINO is usually reserved for the ultra-movement conservatives to talk about moderates and social liberals.
uti2

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:35:42 AM »

I find it comically absurd that Trump's supporters can call people like Paul Ryan, John Kasich, the Bushes, even Ted Cruz "Republicans in Name Only." As if Donald Trump had any commitment (let alone loyalty) to the Republican Party.

Don't get me wrong, the GOP Establishment has a lot to answer for regarding their electoral/political strategy of recent decades - a strategy that clearly had a lot to do with Trump's rise. Yet still...the Trump phenomenon has made the Republican Party so toxic to so many people that even figures like George H.W. Bush are planning to vote for Hillary Clinton (or Gary Johnson in other cases). Yes, "Crooked Hillary" is getting the endorsement of many of the same people who have loathed her ever since she became a public figure. That demonstrates just how utterly bizarre this election is, and how all of the conventional wisdom has been thrown out the window.

Fiscal Conservatism, i.e. 'starving granny' is not why they're conservatives. In fact, conservatism as a tradition predates fiscal conservatism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_conservatism

National Conservatism is the true successor to original conservatism, i.e toryism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditionalist_conservatism

Whigs (free market religionists) were always a centrist ideology, not a conservative one.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 10:46:55 AM »

To certain Trump supporters, those who don't endorse him aren't RINOs, they're treasonous menaces to society.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 11:19:28 AM »

This kind of gets to the real nature of what is 'conservative' and 'republican' to the core supporters of the Republican party. Its not about ideology, its about identity. The being a 'guy like us', not who checks the right boxes. Its why when W. was at his peak he was always winning the question of 'who would you prefer to have a beer with?' He was seen as that fella that's just like them. The mannerisms and word salad of the second Bush just fed into that. It infuriated everyone else and had us calling out why the hell anyone took him seriously. But gosh darn it, he was their guy, and anyone that opposed him and him being their guy was a no good liberal and thus the enemy. My memories of the Reagan years are a little more sketchy, but I recall a similar identity politics at play.

So in the primaries, Trump played easily into the mold of the core voter. Not on policy or knowledge of the issues, but by acting like they wanted to. The constant railing against political correctness is what they like to do. The calling Clinton crooked? Same thing. Trump could believe in doing away with capitalism entirely, replacing it with a soviet style command economy, as long as he railed against illegals enough and promised to only put his opponents (aka, the liberals who are not like his supporters culturally or in behavior) in the gulags.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 11:29:11 AM »

To certain Trump supporters, those who don't endorse him aren't RINOs, they're treasonous menaces to society.

They are renegades.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies