If Donald Trump wins, will government workers stop being paid?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:25:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Donald Trump wins, will government workers stop being paid?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Donald Trump wins, will government workers stop being paid?
Yes

Unsure

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: If Donald Trump wins, will government workers stop being paid?  (Read 409 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2016, 05:17:40 PM »

In one way or another, Donald Trump always finds a way to make sure that employees under his control end up working for free.  Often, he has simply kept the money for himself.  Will he do the same to the employees of the United States federal government?  Or can we trust the racist billionaire to see to it that everyone gets their paycheck in a timely fashion?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 05:23:13 PM »

Probably not, he'll probably use the money to pay for legal fees.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 05:23:42 PM »

We'll see a deep recession or depression.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 05:24:58 PM »

Probably not, he'll probably use the money to pay for legal fees.

No doubt, between his inability to work with Congress to pass a budget and the endless number of legal disputes he will immediately enter into, along with defaulting on our international credit obligations, it is a bit silly to ask whether there will be any money left over to compensate honest employees.

Obviously, Donald Trump will not be happy until he has wrecked the entire economy.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 05:36:30 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2016, 05:43:43 PM by Simfan34 »

I don't know why, but I feel like Ebowed's recent posts have a hackish quality to them. It might have been one post going on about his tax plan that did it for me, in which the things Trump was being condemned for could be applied to any standard Republican. The outrage loses its potency if it's directed towards Generic (R) policies; it seems less sincere if you'd be just as fulminous towards Mitt Romney.

And on another level it's simply pointless to take something like Trump's tax plan seriously, beyond the fact that it'd put an $11 trillion hole in the budget, much less try to get other people agitated about it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 05:40:30 PM »

I don't know why, but I feel like Ebowed's recent posts have a hackish quality to them. It might have been one post going about tax plan that did it for me, in which the things Trump was being condemned for could be applied to any standard Republican. The outrage loses its potency if it's directed towards Generic (R) policies; it seems less sincere if you'd be just as fulminous towards Mitt Romney.

I don't recall Mitt Romney saying that we would default on our international monetary obligations.

It wasn't so long ago that the Republicans shut down the government, again, simply for political theater.

I'm just putting two and two together.  Do you honestly see a term of President Trump where federal government employees are paid, on time, every time?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 05:40:32 PM »

yes, of course. They will be paid with ious, which at some point, will be renegotiated.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 05:45:23 PM »

No, unfortunately. I doubt even Trump can stop the federal gravy train. Sad
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 05:48:59 PM »

And on another level it's simply pointless to take something like Trump's tax plan seriously, beyond the fact that it'd put an $11 trillion hole in the budget, much less try to get other people agitated about it.

I have to very strongly disagree with this.  I take everything Trump says very seriously; more seriously than he himself does, in fact.

The idea that Donald Trump would want to give himself a tax cut while kicking off millions of people from their health insurance is agitating as hell!  It doesn't matter if the same thing applied to Mitt Romney.  I have a long record of bashing him and I stand by that, too.  The fact that Donald Trump is too crazy for Mitt Romney and George Bush Sr is merely proof that even those cretins have a limit, and good for them, but this is the monster they have created.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 06:22:38 PM »

If he can get Apple and Google to start paying their share of taxes in the USA, then he will have made a start.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 07:37:33 AM »

I don't know if he could do this, but the President (any President) has lots of power in a negative way.

Nixon's way of trying to bring the Federal Bureaucracy to heel was to impound appropriated monies and not spend them.  Ultimately, the Courts made Nixon appropriate those impounded monies, but that didn't happen overnight.  I don't know if Trump could just not sign paychecks, but he could easily furlough Federal Workers and he could simply not fill vacancies.  I'm not saying he should do this, but he could, and I don't know that the Courts would back him up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies