What is most concerning or upsetting to you about the current state of the U.S.?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:14:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What is most concerning or upsetting to you about the current state of the U.S.?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What is most concerning to you about the current state of the U.S.?
global warming

Race-fuelled violence OR Police shootings OR Riots OR BLM OR CriminalJustice Reform

income inequality

ISIS

immigrants from Mexico

poor infrastructure

Obamacare

affording healthcare/college/childcare/housing/food/transportation/retirement/leave

jobs going to China

taxes /regulations

not enough coal mining / oil drilling / fracking

state of public schools

Mass Shootings / Gun Violence

government trying to take away guns

Islamophobia

Addiction / Substance Abuse/ Heroin epidemic

superPACs

the Big Banks

Labor Unions

gay rights

abortion

Voting reform

threat of Russia

threat of North Korea

threat of Iran

Cybersecurity

Drones

the 4.9% unemployment rate

the $410b budget deficit

OTHER

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What is most concerning or upsetting to you about the current state of the U.S.?  (Read 2093 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 04:41:17 PM »

-The War on Black America that has been raging for many years has reached a boiling point. The anger that the people of Charlotte felt last night is no doubt justified, but I feel sad that it had to get to this point for their concerns to be heard.

-The "immigration" from Mexico needs to be put under control. Overall, more Mexicans are leaving than coming in right now, but that isn't the issue. The issue is that illegal immigrants can get in relatively easily. It doesn't matter how many illegals there are, what matters is that how easy it is to illegally immigrate. The sudden rise of it being "acceptable" to be an out and out criminal in public also angers me. When I see undocumented students being able to flaunt their status, what I really see is people flaunting the fact that the law doesn't apply to them. 

-ISIS. We really destroyed the Middle East and we really need to stay out for good. ISIS is 100% our fault and the next couple of generations of Arabs aren't going to be big on us. Do you really think that the kid covered in dust in Aleppo bleeding from the head is going to love this country when it was either one of our bombs that almost killed him, or at the very least, our fault that the bomb hit him? Wipe our hands of the whole mess and get out.

-Heroin epidemic. It has impacted my life directly. My younger brother has been on and off heroin for a year now, and it has totally destroyed his life. He's lucky. I knew someone from High School who outright died from it already.

-Jobs going to Mexico. The idea that we are becoming increasingly based around a consumer economy is just a recipe for disaster. NAFTA, TPP, etc, are clearly highly orchestrated and systematic acts of economic genocide aimed at wiping out industrial America and the upward mobility that it once offered.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 06:52:45 PM »

Excessive immigration from Asia and the Middle East and the decline of church attendance.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 08:27:20 PM »

The sudden rise of it being "acceptable" to be an out and out criminal in public also angers me. When I see undocumented students being able to flaunt their status, what I really see is people flaunting the fact that the law doesn't apply to them.  

Just OOC: does this apply to undocumented immigrants who were brought to the US by their parents when they were children (and thus had no choice over the matter), or just people who actually chose to illegally immigrate here?
Punishment is a sort of universal thing. If Charlie Manson had any children (he probably does have some out there, they just don't know it), they'd be viewed as a pariah and would probably lay low. Sure, they didn't commit the crimes, but the legacy is something that is hard to overcome. I think the same should apply to the "dreamers." If their parents committed a crime and get deported, they will have to make the choice if they love their parents or their birth country more. This is the fault of their parents and any blame or anger they have at the system is misplaced.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »

1. I get extremely uncomfortable when I hear or read things I don't agree with, and I think they should be banned

2. Athletes who kneel during the National Anthem

3. Harambe

(Global warming, income inequality, and cost of living - with education and racial violence tying for number four.)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 10:46:58 PM »

1. The Surgeon General's resignation.
2. Obama's REAL birth certificate.
3. We want our moms to stop tripping.
4. Joos.
Jesus save us
NJR
Rookie
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 11:08:08 PM »

Americas imperialistic meddling in

Venezuela
Russia
Syria
China
Taiwan
Africa
Cuba
Europe
Iran
Afghanistan
Latin America
Asia

and every where else.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »

1. I get extremely uncomfortable when I hear or read things I don't agree with, and I think they should be banned

2. Athletes who kneel during the National Anthem

3. Harambe

(Global warming, income inequality, and cost of living - with education and racial violence tying for number four.)

I agree Harambe needs to be talked about more as an issue.

Hopfully Harambe will be brought up at Monday's debate.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 11:04:40 PM »

1. Abortion.

2. Other: Not enough immigration.

3. Other: The public resistance to accept refugees.

Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2016, 11:31:45 PM »

1)  Lots of poor people and criminals are falling into the world of narcotics.  It destroys lives, causes much more crime and far, far more inexplicable, unpredictable crime, the money fuels gangs at home as well as the violent criminal enterprises that have destabilized South America, it's a tremendous burden on our system because we try to take care of these people and they refuse to be taken care of, and it creates a destructive economy in the inner cities.

2)  Cost of living is outstripping economic growth in this country.  Furthermore, people do not have good economic sense and are digging deep holes for themselves, e.g. by maxing out a credit card to buy an iPhone and gambling that they won't need health insurance.

3)  There aren't enough good-paying blue-collar jobs anymore.  Manufacturing is disappearing, the service industries are so saturated that they fight on the margins and wages are extremely low, mining and construction are being taken over by machines, regulatory and tax burdens make starting a small business harder than ever, getting the proper education for a trade is becoming more difficult to afford, and the unskilled jobs are being, yes, taken by immigrants willing to work for much lower wages because they have different priorities.

Not on this list:  Media-fueled political polarization has made it completely impossible to hold public officials accountable, because everything becomes about "sides", and as a result our Congress has become entirely about political gamesmanship and utterly dysfunctional.  They can get away with anything.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 11:48:59 PM »

Not quite.  Rather what's happening is that manufacturing jobs are disappearing because all the dull repetitive jobs that a machine could do are being done by a machine.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies