Largest white Catholic ancestry group by state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:13:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Largest white Catholic ancestry group by state
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Largest white Catholic ancestry group by state  (Read 2588 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »

Well, I am married to a LaFleur, so have some awareness of the French, and yes the French in Nola are more genteel (not so much coonass) while the Italians made the Yats what the are.  Again, I don't know which group is larger in the metro but I think it's close.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 05:51:11 PM »

Louisiana is 15.9% French (or French Canadian) ancestry, 4.8% Italian ancestry.
Mississippi is 2.7% French ancestry, 1.9% Italian ancestry.

Orleans Parish, LA is 6.8% French ancestry, 4.2% Italian ancestry.
Jefferson Parish, LA is 18.4% French ancestry, 10.8% Italian ancestry.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 05:54:08 PM »

This is of course declared ancestry. Many of those putting down their ethnicity as American in NOLA are quite likely to be of French heritage. Especially in Jefferson.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 06:59:53 PM »

This is of course declared ancestry. Many of those putting down their ethnicity as American in NOLA are quite likely to be of French heritage. Especially in Jefferson.

I've always wished the census would get rid of the American ethnicity.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 10:30:40 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2016, 11:08:09 AM by White Trash »

Nah, its got its place. There are many in America whose ancestors have been here long enough that they don't know the origin of their family. And many who simply don't identify as anything but America. Why would some fella in Virginia whose family came over as indentured servants from the Isles in the 16th century and whose family has never been anything but American since then, identify as something else? There is a definitive American culture, that is indisputable. And depending on your definition of ethnicity, there is an American ethnic group.

I'd consider my own family to be a part of the "American" ethnic group. Sure we have an Irish surname and can partially trace ourselves back to Ulster and the Scottish lowlands, but there is very little actually Irish or Scottish about us. We're American, and we've been American since someone decided they wanted some cheap bogtrotter labor centuries ago.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 07:01:43 AM »

I'd rather go the other way and remove ethnicity except where required for the VRA. At one time the Census only asked for the place of birth and that seems fine. In our melting pot society after three generations there are relatively few people who are of only one country of origin and it doesn't tell us much in Census statistics.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »

I'd rather go the other way and remove ethnicity except where required for the VRA. At one time the Census only asked for the place of birth and that seems fine. In our melting pot society after three generations there are relatively few people who are of only one country of origin and it doesn't tell us much in Census statistics.

The ACS asks about ancestry, not the census. Why intentionally cripple such an deep and interesting source of data?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »

I mean yes it is interesting but... look it's like religion questions in other countries. All that data is fascinating, but what does any of it mean? It doesn't help that there's no uniformity in how people answer. Mormons give more accurate answers than other people for instance...
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 03:26:43 PM »

The ACS asks about ancestry, not the census. Why intentionally cripple such an deep and interesting source of data?

Because as Al points out it is inconsistent and often misleading for that reason. To me the ACS is part of the Census. The ACS replaced the long form of the decennial Census with rolling annual and multiyear averages, but it is still the same organization and data type.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »

Because as Al points out it is inconsistent and often misleading for that reason. To me the ACS is part of the Census. The ACS replaced the long form of the decennial Census with rolling annual and multiyear averages, but it is still the same organization and data type.
I like the current proposals to roll race, ethnicity, and ancestry into a single question. It is more neutral as to what the data will be used for. Thus Irish, Swedish, and Italian would be subcategories of White, just as Puerto Rican, Mexican, and Salvadoran are subcategories of Hispanic, and Haitian and Afro-American could be subcategories of Black.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies