The Folly of Youtube Heroes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:23:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Folly of Youtube Heroes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Folly of Youtube Heroes  (Read 952 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« on: September 24, 2016, 01:22:11 PM »

I think Youtube does this just to piss off people and make ad revenue off a whole crop of angry videos that are made.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:56:54 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2016, 11:58:28 AM by Devout Centrist »

I think Youtube does this just to piss off people and make ad revenue off a whole crop of angry videos that are made.

It makes sense as a hypothesis, except that Youtube recently demonetized a wide cross-section of videos, including some from very large content creators. That probably cost them a lot more money than this single move will make them.
They did it for a few select videos that had tags like "rape" or "suicide".

Let me tell you, it's in Youtube's best interest to piss off the big stars who make a lot of money. The people who are large stars on Youtube can get professionally outraged over this and get millions of views, 55% of which goes to Google. Is it a terrible policy? Yeah. Will anything meaningful happen? No. Youtube is playing a delicate balance between pissing people off and making money off them vs having them actually leave.

They're playing people for saps and making even more money in the process. The most infectious virus on earth is anger.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies