Why isn't Hillary defending ME-02?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:00:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why isn't Hillary defending ME-02?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why isn't Hillary defending ME-02?  (Read 409 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:27:51 PM »

While we have limiting polling to work with (and nothing from the big name pollsters), polling out of ME-02 has generally shown Trump ahead, and it seems several analysts are considering Trump the favorite to win it. If it really is competitive and threatening to go Republican, why isn't Hillary defending it? Does her campaign consider ME-02 unimportant? Sure, it's just one electoral vote, but there are scenarios in which it would make the difference between victory for either candidate and a tie. Also, she does seem to be making a play for NE-02, which doesn't suggest that her campaign would be overlooking any EVs. Or does her internal polling tell a different story from public polling, and show her far enough ahead that it's not cause for concern?

It seems like it must be either an enormous oversight on the part of her campaign, or polling is just completely off (it isn't easy to poll CDs.)
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 11:32:22 PM »

Because she's wasting all of her money in Nevada, which is clearly safe D (regardless of the polls) because 28% of a population will never be outvoted by the rest.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 11:32:25 PM »

It also is only 1 ev that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, same reason why republicans aren't defending ne-2
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 11:37:53 PM »

It also is only 1 ev that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, same reason why republicans aren't defending ne-2

second this - it's only bragging rights. And Trump will really only get to brag about winning ME-2 if he actually wins the election overall.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 11:39:33 PM »

Because she's wasting all of her money in Nevada, which is clearly safe D (regardless of the polls) because 28% of a population will never be outvoted by the rest.

I mean, obviously Virginia's 20% black population can't offset the majority white population which votes heavily Republican as a whole.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 11:43:01 PM »

I don't think either of these maps are particularly likely, but ME-02 would make a world of difference in both.

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 11:45:24 PM »

She doesn't need ME-02.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 11:46:16 PM »

I mean, obviously Virginia's 20% black population can't offset the majority white population which votes heavily Republican as a whole.
The VA black population is more monolithic than any Hispanic population, though. Trump has more room to grow among NV whites than VA whites, according to exit polls
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 12:17:16 AM »

The Omaha TV market covers part of battleground Iowa.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Clinton campaign has been doing some TV advertising there.

As for why Clinton is not defending ME-02, I don't know.  You'd have to make an ad buy in 3 relatively cheap TV markets to fully defend it, but one of those markets (Portland) has the side benefit of reaching northern New Hampshire.  Perhaps they just don't think spending even a small amount of money for 1 EV is worth it, when they can spend just double or triple and reach part of a state with 20+ EVs, like Florida.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 12:20:17 AM »

second this - it's only bragging rights. And Trump will really only get to brag about winning ME-2 if he actually wins the election overall.

Nah, ME-02 is more likely to flip than WI, CO or PA.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 02:18:44 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2016, 02:20:33 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

The obvious answer is that ME-02 is that their analytics team has data indicating that it's safe. ME-02 voted for Obama by 8 points. Assuming that Clinton is up by 3-4 points nationwide right now, and that might be overly generous to Trump, this would mean that there'd need to be a 7-8 point trend for ME-02 to be a tossup. On top of this, we'd also have to assume that ME-02 is so distinct that New Hampshire that it could trend 7-8 points to the GOP as New Hampshire keeps it same PVI. These are some wild claims.

There's not enough evidence to suggest that ME-02 is worth being concerned about...
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 07:54:53 AM »

I don't think either of these maps are particularly likely, but ME-02 would make a world of difference in both.

Second map just switches a tie to a Trump win; if you're Clinton you have to assume that a tie is a loss, anyway.

This leaves the first map (or swapping IA & NV on it) as the only realistic map where ME-02 makes a difference, switching a Clinton win to a tie.  Therefore, ME-02 only matters if you lose Colorado.  The Clinton camp seems to be very confident of their chances in Colorado.  If they're right (big if), then there's no realistic scenarios where ME-02 makes a difference, so why bother?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies