Steady Staten (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:09:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Steady Staten (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Steady Staten  (Read 4252 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 01, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »

The same is true for the collar counties of Cook in IL. DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will have all grown in every Census since 1840. McHenry is down by 0.5% since 2010, so the string might be broken this decade.

Do you think that's really true though?  McHenry grew by almost 20% in the 2000s.  It's hard to believe it's lost population, especially with the economy picking back up.

I know McHenry is where Sears moved their HQ after they left downtown, and then it became Sears-Kmart after noted Hedge Fund bloodsucker Eddie Lampert did his thing.  He's been bleeding them dry ever since (not that it would have been easy even if a real retailer ran things).  Must be one of the most depressing places to work at.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 02:08:22 PM »

I would think that the steady grinding down of Sears Holding in the Lampert era would have had a considerable effect on McHenry over the last decade.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 05:37:04 PM »

I would think that the steady grinding down of Sears Holding in the Lampert era would have had a considerable effect on McHenry over the last decade.

Not so much. Sears is in Cook, though relatively close to McHenry. When Sears relocated to the burbs many of the employees stayed near the city, so much so that Sears ran bus service to shuttle employees out from Chicago.

It appears that the bigger losses are from small to midsize businesses, not Fortune 500 sized firms.

I was certainly Hoffman Estates was in McHenry.  Oh well, so much for my collar county literacy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies