Question to self described "pro-life" posters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:37:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Question to self described "pro-life" posters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Option 1

Option 2

Not "pro-life"

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Question to self described "pro-life" posters  (Read 2446 times)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 02:29:47 PM »

I'm passionately Pro-Life, and voted option 1.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 10:20:19 PM »

Option 2
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2016, 10:30:48 PM »

Option 1.  I definitely think it should be an option when the life of the mother is in danger (although that is very very rare with modern medicine and is way overplayed).  Rape/incest, I lean no because it would be inconsistent with my beliefs that the mother is carrying a human life inside her.  I wouldn't punish the child for the mistake of the father.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2016, 10:23:06 AM »

I think danger to the mother's life or health should be understood to be an objectively more acceptable reason to abort than circumstances of conception (at least, if one's reason for being pro-life genuinely is believing that the conceptus is a person with rights rather than just a roundabout means of punishing women for having sex). Voted option 1 but I don't think it's great to conflate these things.
I totally agree.

Am pro-life (though I think abortion should be legal up to 8 weeks, so some would consider that to be "pro-choice"...) and voted option 1 without a doubt (not allowing abortion if the mother's health is in danger is absolutely insane), but I don't think the circumstances of conception should matter.
I guess you could consider yourself in between. I would imagine anyone who ultimately wants to keep abortion legal in at least 75% of current circumstances as pro-choice and in less than 20%, anti-abortion.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »

No joke, I once saw a comment online complaining that allowing abortion in incest cases was bad because it would encourage "consequence-free incest". Like somebody is going to say "hooray! I can  my brother all day and get abortions woot!".
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 11:37:39 AM »

Voted not pro-life, but my views are pretty complicated on the issue.  Option 1, obviously.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »

No joke, I once saw a comment online complaining that allowing abortion in incest cases was bad because it would encourage "consequence-free incest". Like somebody is going to say "hooray! I can  my brother all day and get abortions woot!".

Didn't Oldiesfreak make a similar argument once with regard to rape? That was probably his most cringeworthy moment ever, and that's saying a LOT.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »

Damn you, CrabCake, for telling me this. I don't even have a sister Cry
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 03:38:15 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2016, 03:42:43 PM by Spicy Purrito »

Damn you, CrabCake, for telling me this. I don't even have a sister Cry

Yeah, though it does seem odd that rape would be placed with incest if the incest wasn't rape. Maybe rape/incest should be any pregnancy that was caused by a crime? But does that mean prostitutes can get abortions outside of any designated "God's Blindspot"? Maybe this exception should be when the pregnancy was caused by a felony?

The main issue with Right to Life is that it tries to will a moral foundation that simply isn't there. Roe v. Wade wasn't based upon abortion being a fundamental right but that there was a substantive right to personal security(that legislative bodies can violate due process like cops/executives can) and that there was no fundamental right or universal and natural perveiling right of early gestational personhood(human beings have always had disagreements about abortion that just weren't there for stabbing someone over a goat or ham sandwich) .

Even if you look at when abortion was illegal, it was always a minor or midgrade felony and in some cases just a misdemeanor. You just don't get probation or a year in jail for popping a cap in someone's ass.

Maybe if the concept of due process being violated by the powers of the legislative branch was made obsolete, abortion could be considered another type of non-murder crime in a honest and legitimate way but no one on here has ever taken the bait. Tbe closest thing I ever got on the issue was that according to Seth McFarlane, abortion was securities fraud, larceny, and DUI.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2016, 04:28:42 PM »

Tbe closest thing I ever got on the issue was that according to Seth McFarlane, abortion was securities fraud, larceny, and DUI.

I once, in a work of fiction, wrote in a throwaway reference to a character's 'unacceptably (to just about everyone) moderate belief that abortion was negligent manslaughter'.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2016, 05:00:17 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2016, 05:03:18 PM by Spicy Purrito »

Tbe closest thing I ever got on the issue was that according to Seth McFarlane, abortion was securities fraud, larceny, and DUI.

I once, in a work of fiction, wrote in a throwaway reference to a character's 'unacceptably (to just about everyone) moderate belief that abortion was negligent manslaughter'.
So you are a little put off by it too, as a moderately pro-life voter.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2016, 05:07:12 PM »

By the character's belief or by the insistence from the pro-life side that abortion has to be treated as murder-as-such? If it's the latter, I'm put off by a lot of its practical implications, yes.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 06:15:49 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2016, 06:19:14 PM by Spicy Purrito »

By the character's belief or by the insistence from the pro-life side that abortion has to be treated as murder-as-such? If it's the latter, I'm put off by a lot of its practical implications, yes.

I am open to and think it would be more honest to discuss abortion as morally wrong for other reasons, at least before an objective test of self can pass the muster of a criminal standard of proof. I am unlikely to be convinced, but like any other sane person, do not see abortion at all as a good thing and see abortion happening the way I see people being poor or other very unfortunate things.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 07:58:33 PM »

As far as I understand the law in Poland right now, I'd support it as it is with the health exceptions as they are, but remove the exception for rape/incest while making sure that rape victims have access to emergency contraception.   And more importantly focus on abortion prevention and support for those who are pregnant and with young children.
Hilldog
Rookie
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 08:19:20 PM »

It should be understood in cases of incest race, damaged fetuses, and hazards to the mother's life.  This is a very delicate issue.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2016, 10:24:58 PM »

I am open to and think it would be more honest to discuss abortion as morally wrong for other reasons, at least before an objective test of self can pass the muster of a criminal standard of proof. I am unlikely to be convinced, but like any other sane person, do not see abortion at all as a good thing and see abortion happening the way I see people being poor or other very unfortunate things.

I'd appreciate it if a member of our Atlas Forum Zionist Cabal could either back me up or correct me on this, but as I understand it there's a diversity of views within Orthodox Judaism that understand abortion as varying degrees of morally wrong on a few different grounds but as not tantamount to murder.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2016, 10:30:49 PM »

Option 1.  I definitely think it should be an option when the life of the mother is in danger (although that is very very rare with modern medicine and is way overplayed).  Rape/incest, I lean no because it would be inconsistent with my beliefs that the mother is carrying a human life inside her.  I wouldn't punish the child for the mistake of the father.

This.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2016, 10:42:05 PM »

Even though I am pro-choice, I've never liked the idea of abortion. If someone else feels that they need to get an abortion simply because their pregnancy is unwanted, and not because they are victims of rape, incest, or their life is in danger (I don't understand how people wouldn't at least see that last example as one in which abortion in necessary), I personally wouldn't like the idea, and I wouldn't want to consider abortion in that case if it were me. However, it's not for me to say, so I respect a woman's right to make that choice herself.

However, I do think that nearly all pro-life and pro-choice people can agree that fewer unwanted pregnancies would be a good thing. That's why I believe that sex education is so critical; many young people simply don't consider the risks of unprotected sex (pregnancy is just one of them,) since many of them simply aren't taught about the risks or given sufficient information. I realize that better sex education wouldn't mean zero unwanted pregnancies, but I think that it could significantly lower them, and thus reduce the demand for abortions.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2016, 01:53:16 AM »

I can understand (but disagree strongly) those arguing abortion should not be provided "on demand", but I completely fail to understand why a woman should be forced to give a birth after being raped or to basically commit suicide when abortion is required for health reasons. I wonder how can anyone defend this.

If you think an unborn fetus/embryo has reached the point that it should be considered human life and protected, then the tragic circumstances of how it came to be don't affect that.  That said, while I don't favor rape/incest exceptions, I'm also not in favor of prohibiting all abortions.  Roughly speaking, I think first trimester abortions should be allowed, third not allowed save to protect the physical life of the mother, and second I have no strong feelings on, but as I said, no rape or incest exceptions.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2016, 07:00:22 AM »

I can understand (but disagree strongly) those arguing abortion should not be provided "on demand", but I completely fail to understand why a woman should be forced to give a birth after being raped or to basically commit suicide when abortion is required for health reasons. I wonder how can anyone defend this.

If you think an unborn fetus/embryo has reached the point that it should be considered human life and protected, then the tragic circumstances of how it came to be don't affect that.  That said, while I don't favor rape/incest exceptions, I'm also not in favor of prohibiting all abortions.  Roughly speaking, I think first trimester abortions should be allowed, third not allowed save to protect the physical life of the mother, and second I have no strong feelings on, but as I said, no rape or incest exceptions.
Or at least if abortion is illegal, it is not enough that the pregnancy was caused by a criminal act. I could see that  if abortion is legal for up to 13 weeks, that an exception to rape wouldn't make any sense. While something like a Zika infection  or blood clot could make sense in the second trimester. Also abortion should be allowed previability if the woman wants to have future children but if taking this pregnancy to term would damage or destroy her organs or require her to discard her organs and that her organs can be saved by abortion.

Basically Roe v. Wade states it generally has to be legal in the first trimester, can be illegal in the second but have some sort of circumstancial defenses, and abortion can be  treated as murder in the third trimester(if you don't consider causing a woman to miscarry in the process of saving her abortion).
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2016, 10:38:42 AM »

If I had to choose, then I would pick Option 1.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2016, 01:19:20 PM »

Even though I am pro-choice, I've never liked the idea of abortion. If someone else feels that they need to get an abortion simply because their pregnancy is unwanted, and not because they are victims of rape, incest, or their life is in danger (I don't understand how people wouldn't at least see that last example as one in which abortion in necessary), I personally wouldn't like the idea, and I wouldn't want to consider abortion in that case if it were me. However, it's not for me to say, so I respect a woman's right to make that choice herself.

However, I do think that nearly all pro-life and pro-choice people can agree that fewer unwanted pregnancies would be a good thing. That's why I believe that sex education is so critical; many young people simply don't consider the risks of unprotected sex (pregnancy is just one of them,) since many of them simply aren't taught about the risks or given sufficient information. I realize that better sex education wouldn't mean zero unwanted pregnancies, but I think that it could significantly lower them, and thus reduce the demand for abortions.

This sums up my views so perfectly.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2016, 01:57:09 PM »

The unborn baby is a innocent bystander to the crimes of rape and incest and must be protected.

The "save a woman's life" exception is a false equivalency.  http://liveactionnews.org/abortion-ever-necessary-save-life-mother/

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/10/the-life-of-the-mother/
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2016, 01:52:03 AM »

And it appears that the two sources differ on whether ending an ectopic pregnancy is an "abortion".  The first defines an abortion as an action taken with the intent of ending a pregnancy that could be successfully brought to term, which isn't the case for ectopic pregnancies. The second link's definition of abortion includes any action that results in the termination of the pregnancy, which would include dealing with an ectopic pregnancy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2016, 01:21:25 PM »

And it appears that the two sources differ on whether ending an ectopic pregnancy is an "abortion".  The first defines an abortion as an action taken with the intent of ending a pregnancy that could be successfully brought to term, which isn't the case for ectopic pregnancies. The second link's definition of abortion includes any action that results in the termination of the pregnancy, which would include dealing with an ectopic pregnancy.

I don't think any of those terms are correct. I would say any action that has as the primary object to cause a miscarriage is an abortion. Its wider than the first and narrower than the second. Ending an ectopic pregnancy is an abortion. Giving a woman chemotherapy for Leukemia and she miscarries as a result is not an abortion. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies