Question to self described "pro-life" posters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:31:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Question to self described "pro-life" posters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Option 1

Option 2

Not "pro-life"

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Question to self described "pro-life" posters  (Read 2495 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: September 23, 2016, 10:51:20 AM »
« edited: September 23, 2016, 12:57:01 PM by Phyllis Dare, Secret Agent »

I think danger to the mother's life or health should be understood to be an objectively more acceptable reason to abort than circumstances of conception (at least, if one's reason for being pro-life genuinely is believing that the conceptus is a person with rights rather than just a roundabout means of punishing women for having sex). Voted option 1 but I don't think it's great to conflate these things.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 12:14:50 PM »

Well, for me allowing abortion in case of rape is some modern sort of eugenics. Disgusting similarly to any male or female who is so degenerated to rape anyone.

So, being forced to reproduce under this scenario is somehow less disgusting?

Abortion isn't going to un-rape anybody, and child created form rape isn't unworthy to live because of that.

That's right, abortion isn't going to un-rape anybody. A victim will live with the trauma of the rape forever (I don't know how it is to get raped and I honest to God would never want to know, but we all can at least comprehend this is something terrible), so forcing her to deliver only deepens scars. It's like rubbing a salt on the wound.

Tbf aborting also deepens scars a lot of the time. I don't know which is more common; a lot of studies have been done of this but they're invariably done with an incredibly obvious agenda one way or the other.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 04:28:42 PM »

Tbe closest thing I ever got on the issue was that according to Seth McFarlane, abortion was securities fraud, larceny, and DUI.

I once, in a work of fiction, wrote in a throwaway reference to a character's 'unacceptably (to just about everyone) moderate belief that abortion was negligent manslaughter'.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 05:07:12 PM »

Tbe closest thing I ever got on the issue was that according to Seth McFarlane, abortion was securities fraud, larceny, and DUI.

I once, in a work of fiction, wrote in a throwaway reference to a character's 'unacceptably (to just about everyone) moderate belief that abortion was negligent manslaughter'.
So you are a little put off by it too, as a moderately pro-life voter.

By the character's belief or by the insistence from the pro-life side that abortion has to be treated as murder-as-such? If it's the latter, I'm put off by a lot of its practical implications, yes.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 10:24:58 PM »

So you are a little put off by it too, as a moderately pro-life voter.

By the character's belief or by the insistence from the pro-life side that abortion has to be treated as murder-as-such? If it's the latter, I'm put off by a lot of its practical implications, yes.

I am open to and think it would be more honest to discuss abortion as morally wrong for other reasons, at least before an objective test of self can pass the muster of a criminal standard of proof. I am unlikely to be convinced, but like any other sane person, do not see abortion at all as a good thing and see abortion happening the way I see people being poor or other very unfortunate things.

I'd appreciate it if a member of our Atlas Forum Zionist Cabal could either back me up or correct me on this, but as I understand it there's a diversity of views within Orthodox Judaism that understand abortion as varying degrees of morally wrong on a few different grounds but as not tantamount to murder.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies