southern democrats/northern (new england) republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:16:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  southern democrats/northern (new england) republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: southern democrats/northern (new england) republicans  (Read 3248 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2005, 09:09:33 PM »

weve all heard about the typical 'southern democrat'.  the guy, typically an oldster, he lives in the rural south, is a registered democrat and has been all of his life, but he tends to vote republican these days (especially in national and statewide races)

does he have a counterpart in new england?  someone who is a registered republican, and always has been, but now typically votes democrat?

discuss.
Cashcow

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 09:20:42 PM »

Sure! I know many people like that.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 09:25:45 PM »

Sure! I know many people like that.

details please.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 09:25:55 PM »

Yes. The GOP's southern religious bias doesn't fly in New England, which is why old Republican strongholds are now voting solidly Democratic.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 09:27:54 PM »

A good amount of Montgomery County (PA) Republicans would be the opposite of your typical southern Democrat. Gore 2000 and Kerry 2004 voters that also voted for Rendell in 2002 for Governor.

However, they vote for Specter for U.S. Senate.
Cashcow

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 10:18:22 PM »

People who used to vote on economics now vote on social issues. It's pretty simple.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 10:26:53 PM »

People who used to vote on economics now vote on social issues. It's pretty simple.

not really simple.

why have they shifted their priorities?

personally, im more concerned with money and financial freedom than i am with abortion.

but then again, this thread isnt about me.
danwxman

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 10:27:02 PM »

A good amount of Montgomery County (PA) Republicans would be the opposite of your typical southern Democrat. Gore 2000 and Kerry 2004 voters that also voted for Rendell in 2002 for Governor.

However, they vote for Specter for U.S. Senate.

Yep...you said it. WalterMitty, you belong in the Philly suburbs.
danwxman

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 10:29:34 PM »

not really simple.

personally, im more concerned with money and financial freedom than i am with abortion.

Maybe for the same reason southern Democrats are voting on social issues....economic issues are no longer important and they feel their party has moved to the extreme on social issues.

Plus... (and I hate to make this about intelligence) those Northeast RINOs tend to be very well educated and financially secure.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 10:36:09 PM »

not really simple.

In my example they do. Montgomery County RINOs are upper middle class/wealthy people and hold centrist/center-right economic views. Economic issues aren't really that much of a concern anymore. Now that social issues are big, their social liberalism stands out big time.
Cashcow

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 10:36:54 PM »

not really simple.

Maybe for the same reason southern Democrats are voting on social issues....economic issues are no longer important and they feel their party has moved to the extreme on social issues.

Plus... (and I hate to make this about intelligence) those Northeast RINOs tend to be very well educated and financially secure.

Exactly. Had I been alive 40 or 50 years ago, I probably would have been a Republican. Now, I consider myself independent, and am considering becoming a Democrat - if they cut out all that populist crap, of course.

Money just isn't a huge political concern for me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 10:38:21 PM »

if they cut out all that populist crap, of course.

Yet financial issues hold you back from becoming a Democrat.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 10:39:28 PM »

The Democrats have moderated their tone from the McGovern era...the marginal tax rates aren't as high as they used to be for the upper echelons (they can afford to vote Democrat), so taxes aren't that big of a deal...so they vote on what's visible, social issues.

Well, that's my best guess, at least.

I really do think that the Republicans can (and should) make inroads in the Northeast suburbs, by being the type of Republican that the Northeast suburbs want...economically center-right, socially center-left, not beholden to the Religious Right or to President Bush.  Not on the Presidential level of course, but for Congress, for State Assembly and Senate...and, perhaps, eventually for Senate or higher office in a few decades.  
And it's in the suburbs that most of the Northeast is won...Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, even New York.  The rest of New England (New Hampshire and perhaps Maine notwithstanding) is too far gone, but we cannot give up on the Northeast...just as the Democrats shouldn't give up in the South.
Cashcow

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 10:44:18 PM »

if they cut out all that populist crap, of course.

Yet financial issues hold you back from becoming a Democrat.

They promote a culture of dependency that is harmful to society. I am not concerned with my own money, but I think fiscal conservatism can be helpful - rather than hurtful - to the middle class.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 10:45:57 PM »

NYC & Philly burbs, especially Montco & Delaware counties and also Bucks in the Philly area, Long Island & Westchester in the NYC area.  All 6 counties use to be heavily Republican voting republican in every Presidential  election from 1916 - 1988 with the exception of 1964 where it went Dem when Johnson won all but 3 counties in PA & every county in NY & 1936 which I believe Bucks Co went Dem, all the rest went GOP.

However since 1992, 5 of the 6 counties have gone Dem in every election (Suffolk went for Bush in 92) & since 96 all 6 have gone Dem in every election.  Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester & Delawre counties all went double digits to the Dems in 96, and all but Bucks went to the Dems by double digits in 2000.  Some movement back to the Republicans in 04 due to 9/11, but all went for the Dems & as far as I know all 6 counties still have GOP advantages in voter regristration (although that gap is closing quickly)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 10:53:27 PM »

The Democrats have moderated their tone from the McGovern era...the marginal tax rates aren't as high as they used to be for the upper echelons (they can afford to vote Democrat), so taxes aren't that big of a deal...so they vote on what's visible, social issues.

Well, that's my best guess, at least.

I really do think that the Republicans can (and should) make inroads in the Northeast suburbs, by being the type of Republican that the Northeast suburbs want...economically center-right, socially center-left, not beholden to the Religious Right or to President Bush.  Not on the Presidential level of course, but for Congress, for State Assembly and Senate...and, perhaps, eventually for Senate or higher office in a few decades. 
And it's in the suburbs that most of the Northeast is won...Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, even New York.  The rest of New England (New Hampshire and perhaps Maine notwithstanding) is too far gone, but we cannot give up on the Northeast...just as the Democrats shouldn't give up in the South.

I think its going to be very hard for the GOP to get back the suburban northeast vote.  2004 due to security issues from 9/11 is probably the best they are going to do in NY, NJ & CT.

A state like NY didn't use to be strongly Dem, it tended to lean Dem because of NYC, but the suburbs especially Long Island & Westchester were heavily Republican and made the state fairly competitive.  Everything started to change in the early 90's as the suburbs became ore liberal (especially on social issues) & even to a lesser extent economic issues (it moved from hard right economically to pretty much center economically) but the social issues had more of an impact as well as problems with the GOP machine at the local level.  The machine didn't break uup for another 8-10 years, but the problems within it, as well as the shift leftward socially in the early & mid 90's changed NY, as thhe NYC burbs especially  Long Island & Westchester became Democratic & the state whent from competitive to safe Dem
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 01:40:17 AM »

not really simple.

In my example they do. Montgomery County RINOs are upper middle class/wealthy people and hold centrist/center-right economic views. Economic issues aren't really that much of a concern anymore. Now that social issues are big, their social liberalism stands out big time.

You hit Montco on the nose.  I personally know tons of Republicans who voted for Kerry  (and some voted for several other Democrats as well(
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 08:06:46 AM »

ok/  what about the rural northeast vote?

there has to be a lot of registered or self proclaimed republicans voting democrat in vermont, new hampshire and maine.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 08:49:26 AM »

ok/  what about the rural northeast vote?

there has to be a lot of registered or self proclaimed republicans voting democrat in vermont, new hampshire and maine.
I think in rural New Hampshire, some people vote Dem only because the suburban areas of the state vote Rep. And vice versa. Smiley
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 09:36:27 AM »

not really simple.

You hit Montco on the nose.  I personally know tons of Republicans who voted for Kerry  (and some voted for several other Democrats as well(

You also have to credit Montco Dem chairman Marcel Groen for this as well.  He has registered an unprecendented number of Democrats this past election cycle there.  Funny, Montgomery County used to be way more Republican than Bucks now I'm wonder why Bucks is so impotent they let the 2nd coming of Rick Santorum (Fitzpatrick) get elected to Congress.  He would have NEVER won in Montco.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 11:32:47 AM »

Funny, Montgomery County used to be way more Republican than Bucks now I'm wonder why Bucks is so impotent they let the 2nd coming of Rick Santorum (Fitzpatrick) get elected to Congress.  He would have NEVER won in Montco.

Because Bucks doesn't have as high of a population of liberals.
Cashcow

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 11:57:05 AM »

not really simple.

Exactly. Had I been alive 40 or 50 years ago, I probably would have been a Republican. Now, I consider myself independent, and am considering becoming a Democrat - if they cut out all that populist crap, of course.

Yeah, if they cut the "populist crap" if they still have any populism left then the Democratic Party will really be dead.  You must realize that the majority of the country is at least populist-leaning and a plurality is pure populist, the main reason the Democratic Party has found recent defeat is it's embrace of social liberalism and neglecting attention to economic issues.  If anything needs to be cut it's the gay, feminist, and abortionist crap.

It may be in line with the country, but it's not in line with me.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 03:08:36 PM »

It may be in line with the country, but it's not in line with me.

This obviously is the case with me too. This populist bullsh**t does not win elections. The old Democratic rural areas are trending to the GOP, while the Democrats are cutting into upscale Republican areas. They need to go purely libertarian, then maybe the party could win in places like Maricopa County, Arizona.  Places like Mississippi are a lost cause.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 03:10:12 PM »

You don't understand libertarianism if you think it is in any way compatible with the Democratic base.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 03:12:17 PM »

No, the platform should be completely changed.  The "base" can go to hell.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies