What's going on in Ohio and Iowa?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:31:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What's going on in Ohio and Iowa?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What's going on in Ohio and Iowa?  (Read 2789 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2016, 05:38:54 PM »
« edited: September 23, 2016, 05:41:24 PM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

What is causing both Iowa and Ohio to swing so quickly to Trump? Iowa I can easily attribute it being a more whiter state and less educated state, but Ohio still intrigues me.

In order for Trump to be leading he has to be running up the scores in the suburbs of Cincinnati and Columbus and doing strongly in Southeast Appalachian Ohio while keeping the margins close in Cuyahoga county, which based on Trump's performance with minorities, women and urban whites, doesn't seem likely, so what is going on?

Iowa trendlines:

more smoothing:

Less smoothing:

Ohio trendlines:

More smoothing:

Less smoothing:
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »

It's possible that both are trending Republican, but we'll have to wait until the results come in to know for sure.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »

Uneducated white males...
Working men
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 05:50:50 PM »

Soothing midwesterners Wink
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 05:53:38 PM »

WCWs are getting in line behind a Folk Hero™ who clearly understands the woes of the common man, Donald Trump.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 06:07:34 PM »

What's going on in Colorado and Virginia?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »

Both are very white, old, and uneducated.   
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2016, 06:48:59 PM by NOVA Green »

What is causing both Iowa and Ohio to swing so quickly to Trump? Iowa I can easily attribute it being a more whiter state and less educated state, but Ohio still intrigues me.

In order for Trump to be leading he has to be running up the scores in the suburbs of Cincinnati and Columbus and doing strongly in Southeast Appalachian Ohio while keeping the margins close in Cuyahoga county, which based on Trump's performance with minorities, women and urban whites, doesn't seem likely, so what is going on?

There are other parts of Ohio that you did not mention, which are likely playing a larger role.

NE OH--- (Outside of Metro Cleveland).

1.) Mahoning County (Youngstown) was a +27/28 Obama country in 08/12. It is widely expected that there will be significant swings here, although Clinton will still win comfortably.

2.) Stark County (Canton) has been trending Republican in recent cycles and will likely flip Republican this year.

3.) Summit County (Akron). Been holding relatively even over the past three election cycles, but...

Major swings in a heavily unionized region of the state towards Trump, from historically from an overwhelmingly Democratic part of the state.

NW Ohio

1.) Lucas County (Toledo). This is an area that also has historical union roots and Obama won 65% in both 08/12 a 5% improvement from Kerry's '04 numbers. Reversion to the norms.

2.) Areas around Toledo... Kerry won only Lucas county and lost the surrounding counties. Obama was able to flip these in '08/12. They are reverting back to the norms.

SW-Ohio

1.) Hamilton County (Cinci + burbs)- Flipped to Obama for the first time in decades for a Democrat.... George W. won this county by 5 points in 2004 when the state was almost a tossup. Obama slightly underperformed national margins in '08 and overperformed national margins in '12. I believe there was a county poll a few weeks back that shows it basically tied...

2.) Montgomery County (Dayton + burbs). This is a county that went Dem for the first time in forever back in '92 and has been Dem ever since. This is a county which looks like it will flip in the event of a Trump win in Ohio.

Columbus

1.) Disagree with your premise that Trump is overperforming in the Columbus 'burbs. This is one part of the state where suburban educated White voters will likely trend against Trump.

2.) Clinton's biggest issue is in Franklin County (Columbus) and her abysmal performance with Millennial voters.... likely low voters turnout and lots of 3rd party protest votes here.

Cleveland

1.) Very much doubt the Clinton is underperforming in this county. It's always been the breadbasket of Dem votes in the state, and there used to be a rule of thumb that if Dems are winning Cuyahoga by >250k or 300k votes they are winning the state.

2.) Cleveland 'burbs will likely be more like Columbus 'burbs. A few offsets between Lake County and West Cleveland or so, but whatever...

SE-OH

No question... Trump country and huge swings. I'm almost scared to look at the swings from Kerry '04 and Hillary '16, and even Obama '12 and Clinton '16.

Bottom line: Clinton has completely blown it in Ohio.... no focus on bread and butter ads on jobs, minimum wage, improvements in unemployment over the past 8 years, etc... This is not a state where there are a ton of Millennials and Bernie holdouts causing close margins, This is a state that was at the center of the labor movement, and the fact that Trump is winning the battle on economic issues is extremely concerning.

There was a union sponsored poll of Ohio Union Members that came out about three weeks ago, that showed Clinton with only +5 among union members. How does a Democratic Presidential candidate let this happen in a key swing state, which would normally be the final nail in the coffin for ANY Republican Presidential candidate in recent memory?

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 06:50:32 PM »

Apologies... for some reason my post showed up as a quote, rather than my own statements because I wanted to delete the graph to focus on the substance. Sad
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »

IA is absolutely surreal. If these numbers hold it would be a 10+ points Republican trend. When's the last time a swing State has seen movements like that?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 07:00:26 PM »

Re: NOVA Green, didn't Trumka claim to have some poll showing Trump lagging Romney by five points with union members? Is that the one you're referring to?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 07:15:08 PM »

Re: NOVA Green, didn't Trumka claim to have some poll showing Trump lagging Romney by five points with union members? Is that the one you're referring to?

King Sweden.... I think you are correct, and I conflated another poll that appeared to indicated the contrary.

http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Political-Action-Legislation/New-Poll-Trump-s-Support-Among-Union-Members-Is-Dropping-Fast
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 07:17:04 PM »

Ohio seems more understandable than Iowa, and yet Iowa is trending right a lot harder than Ohio.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 07:22:45 PM »

King Sweden.... I think you are correct, and I conflated another poll that appeared to indicated the contrary.

http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Political-Action-Legislation/New-Poll-Trump-s-Support-Among-Union-Members-Is-Dropping-Fast

Curious how correct this is, though. Hillary COULD only be up by five, all things considered, even if Trump is lagging
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 07:37:49 PM »

The fundamental problem with Ohio, is that Clinton completely ceded the ground to Trump on economic related issues in this state, and has not appeared to make any single attempt to fight hard for Ohio.

If Clinton loses Ohio, it will come down to a dramatic collapse in the most heavily union part of the state, Northeast Ohio where workers fought and died to bring unions into the Steel Mills, Rubber factories, etc....

I lived in Ohio in college as a young man in the early '90s, and this is a part of America where the union blood runs strong, even among many Republicans....

Classic song from Bruce Springsteen tells the story of Youngstown...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GaFUOQWi9A
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 10:25:21 PM »

Clinton is virtually screwed in Ohio."

She never once fought for, nor contested the state, outside of a few campaign appearances, and throwing a boatload of money down the crapper in an attempt to appeal to "college educated white women" in a state interested more in increasing the minimum wage, increased funding for Voc-Ed, protection labor rights, etc...

Hillary is no Bill, and baby boomer swing voters in Ohio remember the history of the State, and she is likely to get killed in NE and SE OH in a state where she should be winning,,,,

Clinton needs to actually earn the votes of the people of NE-OH that have a long collective memory of the struggles to bring the unions into the steel, rubber plants and factories in a region heavily settled by Eastern European ethnics, that helped win WWII, fought in Korea and 'Nam...

Kent State was not a typical "radical college town" back in the days. but rather was representative more of those who were able to go to college that saw relatives drafted that died in the fields of 'Nam.

Trump is actually winning a fight that Clinton should be dominating on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68g76j9VBvM

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 10:34:28 PM »

I think Ohio is actually more likely to swing back out of the two.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 10:48:04 PM »

I think Ohio is actually more likely to swing back out of the two.

That is what polls suggest, though conventional wisdom would point in the opposite direction. Not sure which of the two is more trustworthy (or less untrustworthy) this time around.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 11:16:28 PM »

Half of Iowa is like Nebraska, the other is similar to Minnesota.  The former is stronger than the latter this election.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 11:30:02 PM »

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE amounts of Blue Collar Whites.

Having been to Cincinnati multiple times to see relatives, I would not be surprised if the areas around Downtown Cincinnati go Trump. They did after all go for Trump instead of Kasich in the Ohio primary IIRC.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 12:00:15 AM »

I'm a lot more concerned about the legions of millennials who are running to Stein and Johnson because of her moderate suburban mom campaign.

I don't think that is her Millennial problem. She has a big problem on trustworthiness/authenticity among them, on top of many simply not liking her. It's not really a policy issue. If it was, liberal Millennials would not be running to Johnson of all people, who might as well be the anti-liberal.
FalloutBoy97
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.92

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 03:22:37 PM »

I can't speak for Iowa, but Trump's apparent lead in OH comes down to personal appeal. I think unions are cited far too often in electoral analysis for rust belt states. Unions have been in decline for decades, even here. I know very few adults that hold membership in a union, and none that consider union membership a vital component of their identity. Union membership in OH is still less than 15% among working adults. The most common refrain I hear from reluctant Trump supporters is that Hillary is an "elitist" and does not care for or think about people like them. Trump (regardless of whether or not it's true) seems more genuine to Ohioans that have always considered themselves "ordinary Americans". I think it's more Clinton's personal weakness than Trump's appeal that's dragging her down in NE Ohio. For reference, I'm from Stark county.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 05:29:03 PM »

I can't speak for Iowa, but Trump's apparent lead in OH comes down to personal appeal. I think unions are cited far too often in electoral analysis for rust belt states. Unions have been in decline for decades, even here. I know very few adults that hold membership in a union, and none that consider union membership a vital component of their identity. Union membership in OH is still less than 15% among working adults. The most common refrain I hear from reluctant Trump supporters is that Hillary is an "elitist" and does not care for or think about people like them. Trump (regardless of whether or not it's true) seems more genuine to Ohioans that have always considered themselves "ordinary Americans". I think it's more Clinton's personal weakness than Trump's appeal that's dragging her down in NE Ohio. For reference, I'm from Stark county.

Welcome to the forum Falloutboy97!!!

Several points:

1.) Although union membership in Ohio is barely higher than the national average, there are parts of the state (NE Ohio, Toledo, etc...) where the collective memory of the labor struggles in the Auto, Steel, Rubber, and Coal Mines still resonates. The Democratic Party has forgotten this since the DLC and Bill Clinton era starting back in '92.

2.) Your statement regarding Clinton being perceived as an elitist, and the personal appeal of Trump, combined with the Ohioans perspective as "ordinary Americans" totally jives with my experience "When I was a boy in Ohio" Phil Ochs, although was in college in SW-OH and not NE-OH, so more familiar with places like Cinci, Dayton, Springfield, and Columbus than the NE part of the state.

3.) What's your sense of what is going on in Stark County? I'm predicting it will flip to the Republican, for the first time in decades, and that Dem margins will collapse significantly in Mahoning and Summit. Clinton doesn't appear to have made a real fight in this part of the state on "bread and butter" issues.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »

White working class voters in Ohio and Iowa are trending Trump because of jobs and free trade. Despite that, they're still voting for Republican Senator Rob Portman, who is the biggest free-trader next to Paul Ryan in the entire Congress. They are probably fed up with the identity politics of the Democrats too; or they just like Trump's message.

Clinton should still campaign in Iowa, she can do well in Dubuque, Clinton, and Des Moines suburbs.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »

White working class voters in Ohio and Iowa are trending Trump because of jobs and free trade. Despite that, they're still voting for Republican Senator Rob Portman, who is the biggest free-trader next to Paul Ryan in the entire Congress. They are probably fed up with the identity politics of the Democrats too; or they just like Trump's message.

Clinton should still campaign in Iowa, she can do well in Dubuque, Clinton, and Des Moines suburbs.

So you saying that Iowa is a better bet for Dems than OH???

I agree that there are many more undecided voters in IA vs OH, that tend to lean more Dem than Rep, but I believe that OH is still more winnable for Clinton *if* she can consolidate Obama voters in places like NorthEast-OH (Excluding Metro Cleveland), Toledo, Dayton, and bring Millennials back to the fold in Columbus and many other college communities throughout the state.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies