A white privilege tax: an idea whose time has come?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:55:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A white privilege tax: an idea whose time has come?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A white privilege tax: an idea whose time has come?  (Read 1779 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2016, 09:47:13 PM »

With all the talk about white privilege, institutional racism etc etc, I'm wondering about how liberals on this board feel about instituting a white privilege tax (I'm assuming no conservative would support it).  Such a tax could be a modest addition to one's income tax liability. For instance if someone owed 2,500 dollars in federal income tax, a white tax payer could pay an extra 5 or 10% of that figure.  If a white tax payer was so privileged that they didn't owe any federal income tax, then perhaps they could have a 5 or 10% reduction in whatever refund/credit that they would have otherwise received.
   Some other avenues might be a reduction in food stamp benefits if they went to a white household, or perhaps an extra property tax assessment on white homeowners.  Anyway, it would be intriguing and full of political drama to see attempts to get such measures passed in liberal enclaves. Perhaps a place full of white left-of center voters like Boulder, Madison or Portland Oregon might be a nice place to try and get such an idea rolling on the municipal level.
   Of course there would be many whites who would try to get exemptions. Jews might try to opt out, saying only WASP's should be so treated, but that of course would open up the whole white Catholic and white Eastern European can of worms, with people trotting out their personal impoverished ancestors tales, perhaps a pogrom escape story, maybe some discussion of fleeing servitude in Russia or Austria-Hungary, fleeing the draft in Prussia (my family's case), or various other attempts to cast a more nuanced look at the whole white privilege issue.  
   Personally though, I think its a discussion worth having, and it would give people a chance to really put their money where there mouth is.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »

This is a terrible idea...
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 09:58:47 PM »

I'm not sure if you realize this, but we have a thing in this country called a "Constitution" and "equal rights laws".

Tumblr may have determined that it is impossible to discriminate against white people, but this doesn't actually have any basis in reality.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:02:39 PM »

I'm sure this will turn out to be a constructive thread.
rob in cal
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:03:23 PM »

Oh, I would certainly oppose it, but would be intrigued about how it would play out among the left, with some perhaps arguing that it would represent a more muscular, fiscally inclusive form of affirmative action.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 10:40:14 PM »

I could see it being popular among a certain breed of millennial, but like I said, it would require a constitutional amendment to pass muster and those don't happen on generational whims.

Far better to reform police training to reduce the number of fatal shootings, pay attention to infrastructure in cities, and actually address the root issues behind African-Americans' struggles in this country.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 10:44:35 PM »

This is a great idea to me, white privilege is a plague on America.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 10:51:14 PM »

Yup. Bandaid on an infection.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 11:01:15 PM »

No. The only privilege tax I would support is a tax on rich privilege.

You're joking, right?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 11:14:50 PM »

You're joking, right?
Hard to say
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 12:05:15 AM »

Hell no!
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 12:58:06 AM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 02:24:39 AM »

With all the talk about white privilege, institutional racism etc etc, I'm wondering about how liberals on this board feel about instituting a white privilege tax (I'm assuming no conservative would support it).  Such a tax could be a modest addition to one's income tax liability. For instance if someone owed 2,500 dollars in federal income tax, a white tax payer could pay an extra 5 or 10% of that figure.  If a white tax payer was so privileged that they didn't owe any federal income tax, then perhaps they could have a 5 or 10% reduction in whatever refund/credit that they would have otherwise received.
   Some other avenues might be a reduction in food stamp benefits if they went to a white household, or perhaps an extra property tax assessment on white homeowners.  Anyway, it would be intriguing and full of political drama to see attempts to get such measures passed in liberal enclaves. Perhaps a place full of white left-of center voters like Boulder, Madison or Portland Oregon might be a nice place to try and get such an idea rolling on the municipal level.
   Of course there would be many whites who would try to get exemptions. Jews might try to opt out, saying only WASP's should be so treated, but that of course would open up the whole white Catholic and white Eastern European can of worms, with people trotting out their personal impoverished ancestors tales, perhaps a pogrom escape story, maybe some discussion of fleeing servitude in Russia or Austria-Hungary, fleeing the draft in Prussia (my family's case), or various other attempts to cast a more nuanced look at the whole white privilege issue.  
   Personally though, I think its a discussion worth having, and it would give people a chance to really put their money where there mouth is.

This is the wrong approach.  It would breed intense resentment that would probably worsen race relations overall on all sides.

Racism cannot be "solved" with economic solutions that 'punish' anyone.  They must medium-long term and based around decreasing discrepancies in both opportunity as well as economic outcomes  (for example... we have to both make meaningful educational avenues available to minorities while also reducing poverty for everyone)

The benefit of reducing poverty without considering race is that non-whites are disproportionately poor so just addressing the issue will increase equality between races/ethnicities while also keeping poor whites from being shat on (which is a legitimate concern).

It's not like we can say "it's poverty, stupid"... cuz that's not the ONLY factor.  But it is the angle we can take to both increase the livelihood of everybody while concentrating that increase on minority communities.

It's important for those privileged white people to understand that this will also mean better outcomes for them.

Paul Wellstone was an intelligent man that often knew the precise thing to say long before it needed to be said.  One of his most famous quotes is very prescient in its time and is perfect for the state of things in 2016...

"We all do better when we all do better".  And that's what we should be all about.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 02:52:14 AM »

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 05:51:56 AM »

I'm not sure if you realize this, but we have a thing in this country called a "Constitution" and "equal rights laws".

Tumblr may have determined that it is impossible to discriminate against white people, but this doesn't actually have any basis in reality.

I like how in a quest for equality, we see taxation proposals that resemble Bourbon France.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 06:50:04 AM »

LOL SO FUNNI U SURE SHOWED LIBERALS
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 09:09:36 AM »

This actually is reverse racism.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »

There is no such thing as reverse racism, there is only racism.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2016, 09:21:00 AM by ag »

I would prefer mandatory castration of white males.

I will outtroll any troll here.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 10:03:18 AM »

Would you support the case for the creation of a Chinese style eunuch bureaucracy?
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 12:04:52 PM »

I'm sure this will turn out to be a constructive thread.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »

Would you support the case for the creation of a Chinese style eunuch bureaucracy?

Nah. White eunuchs do not make good bureaucrats.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 01:45:37 PM »

Working on it.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 03:00:07 PM »

Yeah let's create a tax based off of a discredited sociology theory from the 1980's
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 03:04:58 PM »

Extremism Tax: Take any and all the money of any and all non-centrists.

Y/Y/Heil Centrism?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies