Gary Johnson won't fight climate change because the sun is going to explode
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:25:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Gary Johnson won't fight climate change because the sun is going to explode
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gary Johnson won't fight climate change because the sun is going to explode  (Read 1310 times)
tinman64

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.57

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2016, 11:06:09 AM »

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Gary-Johnson-won-t-fight-climate-change-because-9242542.php

Why not? Well, because sun is going to grow into a huge fireball, incinerating the Earth in a global warming that no one will be able to deny.

The thing is, this fiery apocalypse won't occur for another 4 billion to 4-1/2 billion years. And since humankind has only been around for about 200,000 years, we still have a ways to go.

During the 2011 speech surfaced Tuesday by Mother Jones, Johnson conceded that humans are making the planet warmer in the short term, but he doesn't think it's worth spending vast amounts of money to combat it.

In August, he told the Los Angeles Times that he was "open" to a revenue-neutral tax on carbon emissions, but after a backlash from the right, he has since retreated from that position.

He now says he doubts that government policy can address climate issues.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »

I remain ever more convinced that the purpose of the third parties is to make the mainstream candidates look good by comparison.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »

I've never understood the "Republicans and Democrats are both flawed, so vote third party" logic. Who's to say third parties are any better?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »

"I didn't conquer Mt. Everest. She lifted up her skirt and gave me a peek."

--Gary Johnson

Go to 8:34
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 01:16:51 PM »

--Gary Johnson

Not sure whether or not to like that, but it's a better metaphor than "conquering" a mountain, at least.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »

Gary is a little bit on the cooky side.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 01:21:28 PM »

--Gary Johnson

Not sure whether or not to like that, but it's a better metaphor than "conquering" a mountain, at least.
It was hilarious, especially given the movements his body made.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »

I remain ever more convinced that the purpose of the third parties is to make the mainstream candidates look good by comparison.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »

Gary is living, breathing evidence that smoking too much pot is dangerous.
He seems awkwardly goofy, forgetful, prone to saying dumb things, and remarkably low energy.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 02:20:30 PM »

He's funny and genuine.  You all forget he's a Libertarian. It's not government's job to solve all the problems; it's up the private sector.  It's individualism vs collectivism.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 02:28:03 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »

He's funny and genuine.  You all forget he's a Libertarian. It's not government's job to solve all the problems; it's up the private sector.  It's individualism vs collectivism.

We didn't forget he's a libertarian; we remembered that libertarianism is a terrible ideology.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »

Social ills can't be reduced to a simple dichotomy. I support a lot of his stances, but he goes way too far on  economic issues.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 03:05:47 PM »

We didn't forget he's a libertarian; we remembered that libertarianism is a terrible ideology.

I feel the same way about collectivism/modern liberalism in most cases.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 03:09:02 PM »

Gary seems like a nice dude and all, and there are certainly well reasoned positions on many issues, but following on the heels of "Aleppogate" and essentially backtracking on climate change policy isn't going to help him with Libertarian persuadables, especially Millennial voters not too hip on either Clinton nor Trump.

It will be interesting to see if this has any impact on the margins with Millennial voters....
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »

Social ills can't be reduced to a simple dichotomy. I support a lot of his stances, but he goes way too far on  economic issues.

No, but the President isn't some sort of demigod that has to have the answer to everything, nor does the FedGov have to have the answers to everything either. We have state and local governments with the aforementioned private sector.  I want multiple solutions to the same problem.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 03:12:04 PM »

Gary seems like a nice dude and all, and there are certainly well reasoned positions on many issues, but following on the heels of "Aleppogate" and essentially backtracking on climate change policy isn't going to help him with Libertarian persuadables, especially Millennial voters not too hip on either Clinton nor Trump.

It will be interesting to see if this has any impact on the margins with Millennial voters....

If he can't really get in the debates because of the rigged system, then he's not going to break 10% nationwide anyway.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 03:26:14 PM »

I feel the same way about collectivism/modern liberalism in most cases.

OK.

No, but the President isn't some sort of demigod that has to have the answer to everything, nor does the FedGov have to have the answers to everything either. We have state and local governments with the aforementioned private sector.  I want multiple solutions to the same problem.

Climate change is an international issue. Nature doesn't give a f**k where the border between Colorado and Nebraska is. Multiple solutions are great, but right now Johnson has zero solutions.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 03:30:31 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 03:36:55 PM »

I think that the reason is because the types of people who vote for and run in third parties tend to have views that are crazy anyway. If the election system was somehow changed so that a multiparty system was possible, then reasonable third parties might develop.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 03:41:25 PM »

No, but they certainly aren't something that just sits idle either while a bunch of underpowered and fractured governments struggle to figure out something.

Nor do they wait for big-wigs who inherently only move when profits start to hurt, and climate change ain't something to dawdle over.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 04:02:35 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the Clinton campaign tipped off mother Jones.  Obviously they are loosing millenial support to Johnson (and Stein). They can't have her atack Johnson directly or even have surrogates do it. But you know their oppo team are digging and this seems tailor made to hurt Johnson with millenials who care about climate change as a top issue.   

I suspect there will be more embarrassing Johnson and Stein stuff revealed in the form ng weeks. There are about 4-5% of voters who say they will vote for Clinton until prompted with Johnson orStein. Those voter are very gettable. 
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the Clinton campaign tipped off mother Jones.  Obviously they are loosing millenial support to Johnson (and Stein). They can't have her atack Johnson directly or even have surrogates do it. But you know their oppo team are digging and this seems tailor made to hurt Johnson with millenials who care about climate change as a top issue.   

I suspect there will be more embarrassing Johnson and Stein stuff revealed in the form ng weeks. There are about 4-5% of voters who say they will vote for Clinton until prompted with Johnson orStein. Those voter are very gettable. 

Agree on this....

Team Clinton needs to go lightly on Johnson, for many obvious reasons, but the reality is that many who currently say they will vote for him in a four way race aren't very aware of some of his actual policy positions on issues that matter to them.

Now in many "Safe D" and "Safe R" states protest votes for a 3rd party candidate won't make a difference (Although overall Clinton could gain an additional 1-1.5% on the national margins with consolidation of Millennials) but rather "tossup" states like NV/FL/NC and even possibly cracking the firewall in CO or WI.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 02:17:11 AM »

Just want to bump this to remind all the humiliated folks who now want to abandon Trump for Johnson that Johnson is a f**king idiot too and your only choice to not vote for an idiot is Hillary Clinton.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 02:36:02 AM »

If he doesn't want to fight climate change because the sun is going to swallow the planet sooner or later, then why does he care about fighting big government largess and wasteful spending?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies