Your Three Fictional Characters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:33:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your Three Fictional Characters?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Your Three Fictional Characters?  (Read 2688 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 03:51:50 AM »

That's such a weak defense. Almost half major GoT characters have been treated like sh*t at some point or another, and some of them have had it far worse than Cersei. Sure, you can definitely empathize with what she's gone through and understand why this has led them to do what she does, but that doesn't excuse it. If explaining and excusing were the same thing, then this mean you can excuse anyone for anything.
That does excuse what he has done. She killed her husband because she had no choice, she blowed up the "big church" because she had no choice, all the time for surviving and protecting her kids (unfortunately he committed suicide, but not something she wanted it to happen). I'm not surprised you cannot try to understand all the things she did aren't because she's the "evil queen".

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Margaery was an enemy, she wanted to get rid of her, be sent to Casterly Rock, so she reacted swiftly and in the end Margaery was outmanoeuvered.
And what the Starks are trying to survive nicely?
- When Sansa let Ramsay's dogs eat him?
-When Arya made Walder Frey eat his own children?
-When Jon Snow hanged a 14 years old?
Lol lol lol
They are useless, they are not trying to survive, they're just being portrayed as the victims, they don't care at all about survival at all, let me give you some examples: "Honour Honour, I will tell the Kind aren't from him","I break my wedding with the Freys because pure LOVE wooooow". Totally worthless, hopefully Arya will soon die because having to deal with a teenager in crisis is so annoying hehe. And hopefully Jon Snow will die again: "bouhouhouh I was raised as a bastard, look at me, I'm a victim Cry ".

Cersei has more balls than all these Stark characters.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 04:15:18 AM »

I hope people realize the difference between liking/defending a fictional character and identifying with such character in RL.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 05:07:25 AM »

Frank Underwood
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2016, 03:23:50 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2016, 07:48:13 PM by Malcolm X »

That's such a weak defense. Almost half major GoT characters have been treated like sh*t at some point or another, and some of them have had it far worse than Cersei. Sure, you can definitely empathize with what she's gone through and understand why this has led them to do what she does, but that doesn't excuse it. If explaining and excusing were the same thing, then this mean you can excuse anyone for anything.
That does excuse what he has done. She killed her husband because she had no choice, she blowed up the "big church" because she had no choice, all the time for surviving and protecting her kids (unfortunately he committed suicide, but not something she wanted it to happen). I'm not surprised you cannot try to understand all the things she did aren't because she's the "evil queen".

Margaery was an enemy, she wanted to get rid of her, be sent to Casterly Rock, so she reacted swiftly and in the end Margaery was outmanoeuvered.
And what the Starks are trying to survive nicely?
- When Sansa let Ramsay's dogs eat him?
-When Arya made Walder Frey eat his own children?
-When Jon Snow hanged a 14 years old?
Lol lol lol
They are useless, they are not trying to survive, they're just being portrayed as the victims, they don't care at all about survival at all, let me give you some examples: "Honour Honour, I will tell the Kind aren't from him","I break my wedding with the Freys because pure LOVE wooooow". Totally worthless, hopefully Arya will soon die because having to deal with a teenager in crisis is so annoying hehe. And hopefully Jon Snow will die again: "bouhouhouh I was raised as a bastard, look at me, I'm a victim Cry ".

Cersei has more balls than all these Stark characters.

You realize none of those three things happen in the books, right?  Also you sound like a caricature of a GoT version of the "Bad Fan" Tongue  

While I'm at it, this whole idea that being a ruthless monster = being a badass survivor needed to die like a year ago.  And you can't excuse Cersei's behavior (or Lysa's) just because she's a victim of a horrible system.  She basically said "f*** the 'rules' if they hinder me getting my immediate short-term goals, but let's still keep all other women in the same prison I was in."  Btw, if you'd read the books (giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you haven't) you'd know about the scene where Cersei literally reenacts her own rape at Robert's hands on another woman with herself in the rapist role...to say nothing of everyone she gives to Qyburn for his vivisection "experiments."  Of course, she's also terrible on the show. 

If you want an example of a survivor forced to cope with horrific circumstances, look at Arya in the books (where she still very much holds on to her morality, clearly doesn't derive any pleasure from killing, and doesn't ever really seem to want to be some sort of super-assassin so much as she just wants food, shelter, and safety from the threat of things like rape while at the HoBaW...why did the show have to change that? Sad ).  The difference is that Arya said "f*** the rules, it is wrong for any women to be treated the way they have been by Westerosi society."  Cersei said "f*** the rules, they're getting in the way of me getting whatever it is I want at this precise moment."  I might be wrong, but it doesn't sound like you understand that which is...well...troubling to say the least.

Anyway, for the purposes of the question in this thread:

1. Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes)
2. Bookverse Arya Stark (especially in the first book)
3. Donald Zinkoff (less so now than I did when I was younger, obviously)
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »

Wow! Didn't think I'd find another space ghost fan here.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 06:37:11 PM »

My cousin says I remind her of Sheldon Cooper, but I see myself much more as an Abed Nadir.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 06:59:25 PM »

I want to say Lorna Morello-Muccio would be my #2, but I hope to dear God that's just fascination rather than similarity (but I could just be a less exaggerated case). I mean, identifying with anyone in that show would make you mostly terrible, but you gotta relate to someone. There are so many characters that that is the intent. As risk of a drawn out debate again, that's definitely a weaker version of the word, 'identify' as I've drawn Leslie comparisons numerous times.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 07:43:24 AM »

rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2016, 11:49:54 AM »

Red Forman from That 70s Show
Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec
Gregory House
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »

Gordie LaChance from Stand By Me
Remus Lupin from Harry Potter
Billy Costigan from The Departed
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »

Hari Seldon comes to mind
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 01:16:32 PM »

I've only ever noticed a striking similarity to one, and that would be: Lily Aldrin (How I Met Your Mother)

(I've really been leaning towards pursuing teaching more thoroughly)

You are very knowledegable, endlessly generous, and talk in a pretty clear, extremely organized way.  You might want to consider this vocation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 02:55:42 PM »

I certainly have moments like this:

I respect you even more for being a fellow Asimov fan.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 02:59:20 PM »

As of literature, it's hard since there are a lof of such characters. So, just from the top of my head:

Edmond Dantes/Count of Monte-Cristo (I love the way he totally reinvented himself)
Kilgore Trout
Lemuel Gulliver
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2016, 10:57:05 PM »

My cousin says I remind her of Sheldon Cooper, but I see myself much more as an Abed Nadir.

This exactly, but my dad instead of my cousin. Tongue

The other one I'll throw out is Richard Hendricks from Silicon Valley. I can't think of a third. Tongue
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2016, 04:54:19 PM »

Probably SpongeBob, Zoidberg, and Michael Scott
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2016, 05:59:41 PM »

Probably Rat (from Wind in the Willows), Mr Banks and Kevan Lannister. Iago or Uriah Heep on a less, ah, good day. Honourable mention to Cassius from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar in spite of his not technically being a fictional character.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2016, 06:14:39 PM »

I'm far too uninteresting to be able to identify with any character, which, by design, has to be interesting.

I laughed way too hard at this.

No need to be so self loathing, Tony. Tongue
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2016, 08:41:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length