The liberal hysteria over Trump is nearly unprecedented
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:23:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The liberal hysteria over Trump is nearly unprecedented
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The liberal hysteria over Trump is nearly unprecedented  (Read 2603 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2016, 05:28:36 PM »

He insults hispanics, blacks and the disabled
He says he wants to get rid of food regulations and safety standards
He wants to abolish the epa and pollute

What's not to be opposed too if you're a decent human being?

It's not the degree of partisanship within the media that's troubling, it's the degree to which the media is willing to sink to hysterical attacks to accomplish their goals. I mean, I read a thread on here a few days ago and multiple team red drama queens were agreeing with each other that if Trump were to win there would literally be no more free elections never ever again forever and always. Trump is an unqualified oafish asshole, but the odds of him being an evil dictator who will do even a fraction of the things some lefties are whispering about are comically low. Again the issue isn't that people are taking sides; that's natural. The issue is painting "other" (i.e. about 40% of America) as somehow being a fundamental threat to society. The lefty caricature of Trump (OMG he will cause GENOCIDE!) is becoming as unbelievable as the GOP caricature of Hillary (OMG she had a list of people MURDERED!). Trump will not destroy America or turn illegal immigrants into soylent green or nuke China to prove he has big hands. He will just be a sh**tty President. Like a majority of Presidents since WW2.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2016, 05:36:43 PM »

He insults hispanics, blacks and the disabled
He says he wants to get rid of food regulations and safety standards
He wants to abolish the epa and pollute

What's not to be opposed too if you're a decent human being?

It's not the degree of partisanship within the media that's troubling, it's the degree to which the media is willing to sink to hysterical attacks to accomplish their goals. I mean, I read a thread on here a few days ago and multiple team red drama queens were agreeing with each other that if Trump were to win there would literally be no more free elections never ever again forever and always. Trump is an unqualified oafish asshole, but the odds of him being an evil dictator who will do even a fraction of the things some lefties are whispering about are comically low. Again the issue isn't that people are taking sides; that's natural. The issue is painting "other" (i.e. about 40% of America) as somehow being a fundamental threat to society. The lefty caricature of Trump (OMG he will cause GENOCIDE!) is becoming as unbelievable as the GOP caricature of Hillary (OMG she had a list of people MURDERED!). Trump will not destroy America or turn illegal immigrants into soylent green or nuke China to prove he has big hands. He will just be a sh**tty President. Like a majority of Presidents since WW2.

This is the bottom line for Trump.  A similar bottom line is there for Hillary.

I don't see this election as apocalyptic.  I just see two (2) less than ideal candidates.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2016, 05:46:18 PM »

God I can't wait to see the panic that is going to be underway tomorrow by some of you all.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »

God I can't wait to see the panic that is going to be underway tomorrow by some of you all.

Well, I will panic, of course. And yes, I am panicking today. There is no shame in panicking.

But, unlike you, I am not on record advocating the destruction of the United States and the murder of everybody I love.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »

No, what is unprecedented is a Republican party that thinks it's okay to obstruct every move a President makes just because of his skin pigmentation.

Donald Trump is the personification of that ignorance and obstruction.  He should be fed to a polar bear, but instead he is being treated like a serious presidential candidate.  The fact that people would vote for him just shows how many Americans hate their country and hate each other.

Yes, I agree with the first paragraph.  I am a 2012 Obama voter and I agree with this.

But the personification of ignorance and obstruction is not Donald Trump.  It is Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, Jason Chaffetz, and others like them.  It is also folks like Paul Ryan, Lindsay Graham, John McCain, and even Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski; folks that seek to appear to be reasonable, but are not  Trump is the kind of person that would work with Democrats once the dust of 2016 settled and folks came to their senses.  Whether Democrats would work with him is another issue.  

Why do you think that Trump would work with Democrats? I'm not trying to insinuate anything, I'm just curious- what about Trump makes you think he'd be willing to work across the aisle?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »

hahaha.  great minds think alike!  The Jefferson-Adams tit-for-tat was the first thing that came to my mind as well when I read the OP.

Every once in a while people manage to find "the worst presidential candidate ever" and it's not uncommon for people to say, "But this is the most important election ever!"  That happened quite a bit in 2000.  (I voted for a third-party candidate that year as well, to the consternation of everyone I know.)

Sure Trump is a wild card.  I have no idea what he actually thinks or what he'd do.  Sure Clinton, though predictable, is a narcissistic bully.  In fact, they're both narcissistic bullies.  I'm not sure, however, that the hysteria this year is unprecedented.  In fact, it was this bad just 16 years ago when we had two mediocre candidates, neither of whom could get a majority of the popular vote and only one, just barely, got a majority of the electoral vote, and even that required some help from a brother.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2016, 07:59:31 PM »

I am reading a book on the history of German exhile during the Nazi years. One thing stands out there. Throughout the 1930s numerous people were foretelling exactly what would happen later. These were smart people: writers, artists, scientists, etc. They were telling that Hitler could still be stopped, but that, if he were not stopped promptly, he would destroy far more than Germany. These were smart people, and they were right. But nobody would believe them. In fact, they were viewed as hysterical rabble-rousers, radicals, people with personal grudges, whatever... They were often persecuted by the very people they tried to warn. Well, at least 50,000,000 mln. people died to vindicate their prophecies - but nobody ever, either then or later, expressed either gratitude to them for trying to warn, or contrition for not listening to them.

It is horrible to be a Cassandra....
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2016, 08:05:57 PM »

Throughout the 1930s numerous people were foretelling exactly what would happen later.

I saw that musical drama as well.  I think Liza Minnelli was in it.  Excellent soundtrack.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2016, 10:41:42 PM »

Throughout the 1930s numerous people were foretelling exactly what would happen later.

I saw that musical drama as well.  I think Liza Minnelli was in it.  Excellent soundtrack.

That is exactly what I meant. Everybody is deaf.

BTW, who is Liza Minnelli?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2016, 11:11:44 PM »

That is exactly what I meant. Everybody is deaf.

I truly do hear you. It's driving me mad. The people who will look at Trump's willful ignorance, predilection for violence, think skin, and utter disregard for anyone or anything but his own diseased and bloated ego, and say "Yeah, but..." and then follow up with their chosen pathetic excuse.

those people.
Hilldog
Rookie
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2016, 11:26:52 PM »

Me either but let's hope it happens. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2016, 12:01:56 AM »

It will be nothing compared to the panic you will be feeling once Trump starts killing your family. But, honestly, I am not looking forward to that.
Hilldog
Rookie
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2016, 12:02:40 AM »

It will be nothing compared to the panic you will be feeling once Trump starts killing your family. But, honestly, I am not looking forward to that.

So vote Democrat or we'll die?  Raise that question in an ad man good luck.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2016, 12:03:45 AM »

Well, you will live: as long as Trump is not President. And we all will die if he is. And I mean it literally.
Hilldog
Rookie
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2016, 12:09:36 AM »

Well, you will live: as long as Trump is not President. And we all will die if he is. And I mean it literally.

Do you think Clinton is being too soft?  Why isn't this in her ads?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2016, 01:30:49 AM »

Do you think Clinton is being too soft?  Why isn't this in her ads?

Of course, she is. She has to be. Truth would never be believed in this case. Exactly like nobody believed the Hitler threat - until it was too late. Brits needed to lose the Battle of France for Churchill to become PM. He had no chance till then.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2016, 09:16:02 AM »

She was in Cabaret.

I think she's Dorothy's daughter, but her father was obviously a Romulan:

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »

She was in Cabaret.

I think she's Dorothy's daughter, but her father was obviously a Romulan:

This is Greek to me.

One good thing: when we no longer have electricity, I will not miss those moving pictures. Never had any use for them.
elcorazon

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2016, 10:42:12 AM »

While we've had semi-fictional characters run for President before, we've never had one who was so completely fake. That he's a bona-fide evil dictator wanna-be who is obviously insane and grossly incompetent only makes it all worse.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2016, 10:49:11 AM »

Looking back in American history, I can only think of 2 presidential elections where one of the major party nominees was this reviled and feared.

1. 1860:  obvious choice. Lincoln was not even on the ballot in the Southern states because not enough electors would publicly pledge themselves to Lincoln. His election was the catalyst for secession.

2. 1896: less obvious but a highly underrated election. The 36 year old William Jennings Bryan seized the Democratic Party nomination with his electric oratory and populist stance on free silver, trade, agragrian policies, anti-wall street. The incumbent Democratic President, Grover Cleveland, was a strong free-market proponent who supported the gold standard. He was so repulsed by Bryan that he refused to even endorse him. The east coast business establishment was so terrified of Bryan that adjusted for inflation, more money was spent to defeat him than any other nominee in history. Banks and other employers openly told their workers that if Bryan wins the election, there will be no job to come to. The northeast was so terrified of Bryan that McKinley even won NYC (one of only 3 republicans to do so). If Bryan had won, the United States would be a very different country now.

You totally forgot the obvious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_zTN4BXvYI

Thank you. The 1800's were full of campaigns where negativity, fear, and distrust were the order of the day. How about 1824 where the "corrupt bargain" kept Jackson from the WH. Then there's the incivility of the opponents of "Rutherfraud" Hayes after the "stolen" election of 1876. My thesis is that today's fragmented niche media has fostered a return to what was once commonplace in the US when information was fragmented before the broadcast networks dominated news.

Honestly, most of these attacks pale in comparison to ones in this current campaign. Trump literally called Hillary Satan.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »

Looking back in American history, I can only think of 2 presidential elections where one of the major party nominees was this reviled and feared.

1. 1860:  obvious choice. Lincoln was not even on the ballot in the Southern states because not enough electors would publicly pledge themselves to Lincoln. His election was the catalyst for secession.

2. 1896: less obvious but a highly underrated election. The 36 year old William Jennings Bryan seized the Democratic Party nomination with his electric oratory and populist stance on free silver, trade, agragrian policies, anti-wall street. The incumbent Democratic President, Grover Cleveland, was a strong free-market proponent who supported the gold standard. He was so repulsed by Bryan that he refused to even endorse him. The east coast business establishment was so terrified of Bryan that adjusted for inflation, more money was spent to defeat him than any other nominee in history. Banks and other employers openly told their workers that if Bryan wins the election, there will be no job to come to. The northeast was so terrified of Bryan that McKinley even won NYC (one of only 3 republicans to do so). If Bryan had won, the United States would be a very different country now.

You totally forgot the obvious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_zTN4BXvYI

Thank you. The 1800's were full of campaigns where negativity, fear, and distrust were the order of the day. How about 1824 where the "corrupt bargain" kept Jackson from the WH. Then there's the incivility of the opponents of "Rutherfraud" Hayes after the "stolen" election of 1876. My thesis is that today's fragmented niche media has fostered a return to what was once commonplace in the US when information was fragmented before the broadcast networks dominated news.

Honestly, most of these attacks pale in comparison to ones in this current campaign. Trump literally called Hillary Satan.

Calling someone the son of a half breed was a greater insult in the 1800's than calling someone Satan today. Racial slurs and sexual innuendo were insults to duel over.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2016, 01:19:23 PM »

By all knowledge we have on Trump and on historical figures like Trump there is good reason to be "hysteric". I wasn't too riled up about Bush, McCain or Romney. In fact I kind of liked McCain.

We can't know for sure exactly how a Trump presidency would turn out but we have strong indications.

We know he loves war and proposes turning the US into a glorified mob squad looting other nations.

We know he admires dictators who ruthlessly murders their opponents, like he has repeatedly stated with regards to Russia, China and North Korea.

We know he is open to nuking any country anywhere.

We know he proposes economic policies such as reneging on US debt and leaving the WTO which would completely crash the global economy.

We know he wants to curb freedom of speech to prevent criticisms of himself.

Yeah, I'm ready to panic.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies